Weird glitches today . . .

Started by mmosu, October 24, 2009, 07:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandru

Cool series of events eor12.  :-X

Don't we live for bugs.  ;D

I once had Prosper Kouassi brief me for the police chief assassination while he and his flunky's heads were doing the bobble head doll thing.

I too have had a best buddy take his first hit of the game and refuse to get healed. It was when I first started playing FC2 and I though I'd spoiled the game when I gave him that last shot and he died.

And as for getting at Voorhees in Sephapane, there is a bug I've heard of where if you stand with your back to a locked door while you have a mortar equipped and act as if you are going to fire it, it is possible for the animation to keep the mortar in place but push your game character backwards one step so that it shoves you through the closed door and you are on the inside.

I've also heard you only want to do this with buildings that have insides and are not just props to fill in the scenery. Not sure exactly what but can guess that bad stuff happens to your game.  ;)
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

You can't kill the faction leaders in town (until you get a special side mission at the mine towards the end of the game). I tried to blow the sweet jeebus out of one some time ago, enough explosives to level mount everest, but he shrugged it off (so did the building).

I never knew you could kill people inside Mike's (never used that many IEDs there, though) hehe  :-X

eor123, indeed, nice stories :)

I killed some of the ever spawining bouncers in Sefapane, too. There are two missions that lead you there, once to the HQ with the AT in the back yard, and once to the small house in the opposite part of town with that Datsun around the corner :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

eek! I posted after PZ (to me, due to my forum display settings, it was at the end of page two) so I missed mandru's post -- only noticed it after posting, lol

mandru, I know that mortar bug. Never tried it, because it was only necessary for some people who, for reasons unknown, were unable to enter a building they were supposed to enter. That bug allowed them to continue the game. I am not sure if it was a bug prior to the patch 1.03 for the PC, I have a feeling it won't w@&k any more after that patch.

And I too had a buddy once who "needed" to die. No way to cure him, so I reloaded and replayed the mission, after that it worked normally (he survived).
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

Yeah Art, I've learned through hard knocks to never go more than 5 minutes without a fresh save.

The old Fort rock jump for that one diamond would be near impossible with out it. Really makes me feel sorry for people not playing on a computer with our ability to save whenever we want.  :'(

And I too have never tried the Mortar bug I'd just heard about it and it is possible that is has been fixed.

- mandru

mmosu

Quote from: mandru on December 16, 2009, 02:45:16 PM
The old Fort rock jump for that one diamond would be near impossible with out it. Really makes me feel sorry for people not playing on a computer with our ability to save whenever we want.  :'(

Uh, yes, yes it was nearly impossible  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ---> cause that's about how many times I tried it...

Art Blade

tell you what... maybe I was never desperate enough so I had no hurry or need to get that diamond. But when I tried it, after reading so many complaints at how difficult it was, I wanted to know and tried it myself.

Quote from: Art Blade on June 01, 2009, 05:23:24 PM
Today I did the jump (and got the diamond) for the first time, in one single go. I went up to the ledge of that rock, "aimed" as shown in D_B's vid, walked like 2 steps back and hit walk&run at the same time. Landed on the other side running, then walked straight ahead, and the rest again as shown in the vid. I was hoping to find a different approach (climb, use a car, climb the car...) but apparently all you can do is jump.

I remember how easy it seemed to be, and it was, for me. Why? I think because I am used to jumping a lot in games, and I still do, and so I keep doing it in FC2. (By the way, it's not meant to boast here, but to show it's "practice" that counts)

Here is a link to a jump tutorial with pics that might help you get some practice and, by that, to get your diamonds with more ease :)

Art Blade

:-[ looked like boasting, sorry.

fragger

Quote from: eor123 on December 16, 2009, 12:38:17 PM
happened very fast but it seemed like Carbonell and Gakumba instantaneously switched positions, a glass that was on the table fell and smashed, and Carbonell ended up in Gakumba's lap for a split second before snapping back to his original position to my left.

Hey, eor123, I've seen that one, or something very similar:

Quote from: fragger on November 26, 2009, 02:29:17 AM
I remember a time when I was at UFLL HQ in Leboa, talking to Gakumba and one of his cronies (can't remember which one). There's a circular table there, Gakumba standing to one side of it, the other guy sitting in a chair on the other side. While they were talking, they both promptly changed places - by sliding quickly through the table, and each other, simultaneously. They also shifted to their respective opposite poses en route. I've only seen it once, it looked really weird.

mandru

I know for the console players there's that safe house just to the East and I guess you could save there, sneak past the back door of the Old Fort and make a go for it and then if you miss just reload the last save and go again but still even with a save 2 seconds before tossing myself over the abyss to reload I get pretty frustrated at times.

Art it's not that I need the diamonds.  :P

but they're mine, gotta get 'em all!  ;)

But there's just something about that jump that's evil. Even when I do every thing right I usually fall 3 times or more before I clear it. Sometimes I snag on the edge of the rock you're jumping to and I'm stuck. Can't jump up, crabbing sideways left or right gives no footing for a climb and when I stop trying to walk forward I, well, drop like a rock and have to go back to a reload.

I've seen that mini-tutorial of D_B's and while it is very helpful, I think that "Leap of Faith" at the old fort is just slated to be my nemesis.  ;D
- mandru

Art Blade

I am pretty sure if I tried that jump a couple of times in a row, that I too would end up with my brains next to my silly grin imprinted into a rock down there  ;D

fragger

Quote from: Art Blade on December 16, 2009, 04:23:12 PM
I am pretty sure if I tried that jump a couple of times in a row, that I too would end up with my brains next to my silly grin imprinted into a rock down there  ;D

Nicely put! ;D ;D

I hate that jump! Seems that if you don't get the timing exactly right, you'll miss :D

But I always go for it. It's just me, but I like to get all the diamonds in the game, every time. Between missions, I like to go on diamond hunts, where I'll pick one of the 9 map segments and cruise around acquiring all the diamonds there. I'll also make a point of unlocking every safehouse and scouting every GP in that sector (I guess I just like to get as much as I can out of the game). Later in the game, I'll tackle another map segment, and so on.

Actually, the diamond I have the most trouble getting is that one in NE Bowa that you get to by taking the hang glider from near the railway bridge and flying up the river. I don't always make it to the ledge, but I have discovered that you don't have to. If you land at the foot of the ledge, you can make your way around to the left (when facing the rock face), keep bearing right and eventually come out on the diamond ledge. But getting there without the mercs at the riverside GP seeing you is the tough part. I found it best to do it on a rainy night. In broad daylight forget it, they'll shoot you down every time.

Oops... I'm meandering way off topic... again...

Art Blade

never mind wandering off, this topic is called "weird glitches today" so let's call wandering off a weird glitch ;)

I like to unlock every safehouse and to scout every GP too. Always. But not once have I collected all those diamonds. Maybe in total, but not in one single playthrough. But I do pick some of them up, easy and difficult ones. Only recently I got that diamond around the corner of Weelegol, using that hang glider, it was my first time I actually took notice of the diamond, and it was difficult (only hang gliding lets you get it). Reading posts here about difficult diamonds sometimes makes me want to try them, like the "fort rock" (hehe) and that rail crossing hang glider diamond, too. I hate those mercs for ruining a perfect glide most of the times, and indeed I tend to switch them off (ignoreplayer cheat) if I want to enjoy some hang gliding. And I unlock weapons with a cheat and I cheat a big amount of diamonds so I can buy all the good stuff at once... Still, I do the arms dealer missions and still I collect (some) diamonds... whatever suits me and that can be no cheats or all cheats, few diamonds or many, but ALL GPs and ALL safehouses! :)

fragger

I've never actually used the hang glider to get the diamond west of Weelegol. There's one spot, and as far as I can tell, one spot only, where you can climb up the rocks. You need to go to east a ways from where the diamond is, making your way along the foot of the cliff, then climb up and make your way back around. It's somewhere around here (white circle):

[smg id=1789]

I'll post a screenie sometime showing the spot, might be a while though as I just started a new game and I recently ditched all my previous saves (was getting too clutttered).

I promise I'll post it in the right topic, though ;D

EDIT: Just occurred to me, this is PC version, console versions may be different.

Art Blade

hehe :) Hmm, you did climb up those rocks, there? I was hoping to find such a spot, and I climbed around on both sides of those crater walls, never found a place where I could walk around to that stand with the diamond. Best thing is that ladder on the ground, can't pick it up... I even tried to park my ride close to the ledge where that diamond is, and climb up my ride, to no avail. Then I ran over to grab the hang glider and landed it perfectly well in my first go :) Re-did it for some reasons... ah yes, to drive my car there and check if it stays while I arrive using the glider. It's got to do with the "ownership" thing, if you abandon your car for a different vehicle, it may disappear, unless it's in a short range of the other vehicle. Well, it was still there when I sailed in :)

fragger

It's a hard spot to find, I always have to search for it each game. I think it's one of those things where you have to get just the right spot. But it's definitely doable, I've done it every playthrough thus far :)

Art Blade

PZ, your mortar glitch question is now a topic on its own in "questions" :)

PZ

It works on the PS3 as well, although it is easy to fly the glider to that location. :-X

Dweller_Benthos

fragger, I have a video of that rock hop:

[smg id=118 type=av align=center]
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

ahhh cool. Hehe, looks so easy, and natural, as if it was the most obvious and easiest thing in the world  ;D ;D ;D Well done, D_B :) :-X

eor123

Quote from: mandru on December 16, 2009, 02:45:16 PM
Yeah Art, I've learned through hard knocks to never go more than 5 minutes without a fresh save.

And I too have never tried the Mortar bug I'd just heard about it and it is possible that is has been fixed.

I recently figured out that you should dispatch all enemies, collect all ammo, health, and diamonds in the immediate area before taking whatever action that prompts a SAVE. That helps a little -- as long as you don't forget:

After creatively dispatching the entire Merc population of Sefapane I travelled all the way  to Mike's Bar -- and was hurt when Hakim didn't seem to appreciate my efforts oh his behalf. I had never picked up the damn dossier. :D

For me, the Old Fort rock jump wasn't a bad as the Goka Falls hang glider. The SAVE point in the fort is just up the stairs. The SAVE point in Goka Falls is down the steep hill with the switchbacks.   

I got pretty sick of hearing Reuben's phone call as I trudged up that hill 10-15 times trying to figure out how to pilot the hang glider to the diamond case without smashing into the canyon wall.

"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

Art Blade

Even if I sometimes surprise myself thinking console games nowadays look somewhat more pretty than I would like to admit, the freedom of saving whenever I want on a PC still makes me smile, lean back, and be content with what I have got. And while I lean back, I think with a sigh how stupid console game programmers are for not allowing that freedom. There are blue-ray players and hard disks and all sorts of hardware, but still they torture console gamers with predefined save points. And then I would like to shove my keyboard down their throats when they migrate console games to PC without thinking of PC gamers' habits of saving freely and dare present me with save points. About time they sorted it out, so both worlds could save freely.

PZ

The freedom of game manipulation is what I like most about the PC games.  Secondary is the way the mouse is orders of magnitude easier for me to perform precise movements.  Other than the wide screen (PC) versus standard screen (console) views in FC2 for field of view, I personally see little difference in graphics quality - there may be some, but I wouldn't really notice it.

mandru

A quick note eor123.

Quote from: eor123 on December 17, 2009, 05:42:23 PM

I got pretty sick of hearing Reuben's phone call as I trudged up that hill 10-15 times trying to figure out how to pilot the hang glider to the diamond case without smashing into the canyon wall.

That diamond at the bottom of Goka Falls can be reached without the glider.

Go a ways to the right of the ledge the diamonds sits on and when looking up at the sloping mountain face you should see what looks almost like a gentle washboard effect across it. The darker areas between the raised part (I think of them as fingers) of the ripple are easier to climb.

Find a spot along there, close to the diamond's ledge that allows you to climb the highest up the mountain side possible and then while still trying to move forward, facing up the slope, start creeping (some other games call it strafing and when filming in the movies it's called a crab) to the left towards the diamond and if you found a good starting spot you will be a bit higher than the ledge and will be able to drop down and get the diamond.

- mandru

fragger

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on December 17, 2009, 01:22:44 PM
fragger, I have a video of that rock hop:

Nice job D_B, thanks muchly :-X :-X

mmosu

Quote from: Art Blade on December 17, 2009, 06:14:02 PM
I think with a sigh how stupid console game programmers are for not allowing that freedom.

Borderlands on console is actually a step in the right direction on that Art - there are preset "save stations" that will save your data whenever you walk past one, but in addition you can save whenever you want by exiting to the title screen.  It's a little inconventient, but it saves you from that "I want to stop playing but first I have to find a place to save" thing that some games force you into.  Still not a quicksave key, but better than what some games give you...

Tags:
🡱 🡳