I think The Jackal slipped me some LSD. EXTREME weirdness at end of game!

Started by eor123, April 08, 2010, 12:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eor123

I just completed my second play through on Infamous, collecting all diamonds, Jackal and Predecessor tapes, and completing all standard missions. I didn't complete the two extra buddy missions for 42/40 this time as Nasreen never showed up at the bar and offered the missions. I suspect it was because I couldn't bring myself to let Hakim die and make room for her at the bar. I have to admit I developed a fondness for Hakim. I played as him the first time I finished FC2 on Infamous so we have some "history." I believe he is the only one that mentions having a family.

I did keep Nasreen busy rescuing me. You die a lot on Infamous. I usually reverted to the previous save point and started over, but if I was close to completing an objective or died with just one or two bad guys remaining, I let her rescue me.

At the Landing Zone, I snatched the diamond case and escaped without firing a shot or even getting badly wounded. With the exception of Paul Ferenc, whom I just couldn't save at the Salvage Yard, most if not all the buddies survived. Of course what actually happened to them in Mike's Bar at the end of Act I is in question since I was in town saving refugees. I figure the mercs at the bar are armed and can take care of themselves. Yeah... I know, morality creeping into my gameplay again. I even try to avoid running over animals.

I guess you are just going to have to trust me that I did the remaining 4%.   ;D

[smg id=2191]

I can't believe I deleted the save points from my first Infamous play through. I guess I used it as a justification for doing it again. I' think I'll keep this one. I said I'd never do the Infamous thing again but I couldn't resist. I'm pretty beat now, though. It's quite difficult and frustrating. I don't know how many times I was very close to clearing a GP pr completing an objective, only to be shot in the back by a sole remaining merc who had flanked me.  I almost threw the controller at the screen a couple of times. :D Argh, Stupid!   Indeed.

The game was acting a little flaky already as I approached the ending. This dead merc kept moving laterally with the upper half of his torso embedded in the rocks, ending up in a very weird position.
[smg id=2190]

When I killed the two bosses meeting on the other side of the foot bridge in Act III, the game went berserk. I used three rounds from the M79. I have noticed that strange things sometimes happen when I use the M79.

The game started lagging and I thought it was going to freeze up as it often does around the gun stores in Act II. The four guys on the way to The Jackal's cabin were missing. Maybe the game doesn't spawn them on Infamous. I can't recall from the earlier play through.

Inside the cabin with the Jackal, things got really freaky. The crates and boxes inside the cabin started moving around, even levitating and flipping in the air. Some of them appeared to "melt through the walls. It was like a bad virtual acid trip or a scene from a bad horror film. I tried to get a picture of a wooden crate hovering in mid air in front of the Jackal but it flew against the wall and disintegrated before I could get the camera set up.

When I stepped outside and started down the path, I saw three of the objects from inside the cabin, creeping along the ground and occasionally bouncing. The were "climbing" a rock face near the cabin. I happened to turn around and look at the cabin and got a Hell of a shock.

The f@#$ing Jackal was standing outside the cabin! I thought, "My God. This is the Holy Grail of FC2! I am being rewarded for my patience and perseverance!"

He was just standing there, repeatedly making an odd face -- grimacing as if he was in pain.  He had no response to me standing in front of him. And yeah...I took pictures.

[smg id=2192]

And yeah...I pulled the trigger...repeatedly.

[smg id=2193]

I emptied an entire belt of ammo in his face and followed up with a few dozen machete blows. Blood was flying but he just stood there, making those weird faces and saying nothing. I tried to re-enter the cabin but I couldn't open the door.
[smg id=2194]

I left him standing in front of the cabin, wondering if the game would end in the standard way...or if it was going to end at all.

Along the path I shot and killed a couple of mercs with the AS50. Their bodies started drifting and melting into the rock like the objects from the Jackal's cabin. I took a picture so you wouldn't think I was actually tripping.

[smg id=2195]

As I passed, I engaged more targets ahead on the path. I then began taking fire from the guys I had shot and and were partially embedded in the rock face. They killed me.

In the old days of pinball gaming, this was known as a "TILT."  ;D

After returning to the save point at the Jackal's cabin, everything proceeded normally and I completed the game with no other unusual occurrences.

I need a drink.

"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

JRD

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

Whoa! That is supposedly the weirdest glitch I've heard of, and a massive one! thanks for the pics proving it, they're cool and unique  :) :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Indeed - I've never encountered the Jackal in an area where I could actually shoot at him  :-X

eor123

Quote from: Art Blade on April 08, 2010, 09:57:14 AM
Whoa! That is supposedly the weirdest glitch I've heard of, and a massive one! thanks for the pics proving it, they're cool and unique  :) :-X

I guess you are getting some insight as to why I was nicknamed "Eeyore" by my friends. Weird stuff (both good and bad) just seems to happen to me.  ;D

"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

Art Blade

That is why we are both lucky and happy to have you around with us, mate  ;D :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Indeed - keep 'em coming - you're posting things I've never managed to see/hear in all the plays though I've made over the past year.  :-X

ninzza

Those are very wired glitches, eor.

"Inside the cabin with the Jackal, things got really freaky. The crates and boxes inside the cabin started moving around, even levitating and flipping in the air. Some of them appeared to "melt through the walls. It was like a bad virtual acid trip or a scene from a bad horror film. I tried to get a picture of a wooden crate hovering in mid air in front of the Jackal but it flew against the wall and disintegrated before I could get the camera set up. "

I feel a chill going down my spine when I read this paragraph.
Is FC2 a horror scifi FPS ? ;D

mandru

Dead mercs sinking into the rocks and objects sliding across the floor?

The thing with the Jackal is weird. Unscripted but still on the set, supposedly out of sight by being inside the cabin Jackal may also have bumped across the floor and phased out through the wall to where you could see him again.

It sounds like some kind of corrupted data in the surface detection and gravity processes and resetting to a save point forced a refresh of correct data and so it stopped.

I've had times where I've stepped back into a cabin after being briefed on a subverted mission by a BB to find them (I've seen it with Marty, Hakim and Quarbani (Hmm... First act buddies only!  ::) )) standing at attention with their lips peeled back as far as they will stretch completely exposing their teeth and gums like a dog's mouth in full snarl.  Their eyes tracked if I bumped them and they turned their bodies to face me but other than that they were stiff as boards.

One time I got to a safe house to reactivate a rescue buddy and the house was empty when I walked in.  I grabbed from the first aid kit and was headed for the exit and a noise behind me cause me to turn.

Marty had materialized in the cabin behind me but his legs were stuck through the bench against the wall and he wasn't really there because he couldn't speak to me and his eyes showed no recognition that I was even there.  I had to leave and go to another safe house to get him to show up properly and reactivate him for rescues.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

In hundreds of hours of FC2 SP gaming, I've not yet come across stuff like that. Not even floating stuff. I'm starting to worry now  ;D

PZ

Same here - literally hundreds of hours of playing and I've not experienced anything like that on either PC or PS3.  I do recall people on other forums complaining sometimes about strange issues like closed doors, etc., but definitely no one ever mentioned seeing the Jackal outside his hut.  You probably have a one-of-a-kind photo there.

eor123

There is absolutely no connection between me experiencing these glitches on the Xbox 360 and my purchase of a PS3 this afternoon...no...none at all.  ;)

Actually these glitches are fun. What isn't fun is having the game freeze roughly 40-50% of the times I drive a vehicle out of the gun shop near Mosate Soleo or onto the onto the road that leads to the Marina. And it becomes more frequent the further I get in the game. The only way to fix it is to turn off the Xbox and restart it. I got so tired of it I started walking in and out of these areas -- seems like the only way to prevent the console from crashing.

fragger

Eyeore mate, you've taken bizarreness to a whole new level ;D Or should I say, your copy of the game, or your console, has.

I'd love to have seen the ambulatory packing cases and mercs melding with rocks. I never get to see any of that good stuff - about the only glitches I ever get are frantically twitching mercs stuck in crashed ATs and the odd levitating baddie. Boring old normality, in other words.

I love weird glitches in games, provided they're harmless. Like you though, when they're causing mulitple crashes and freezes, I stop feeling the love >:(

Quote from: eor123 on April 08, 2010, 12:19:10 AM
It was like a bad virtual acid trip or a scene from a bad horror film.

Evil Dead in Africa ;D

PZ

Quote from: eor123 on April 08, 2010, 11:09:36 PM
There is absolutely no connection between me experiencing these glitches on the Xbox 360 and my purchase of a PS3 this afternoon...no...none at all.  ;)

Actually these glitches are fun. What isn't fun is having the game freeze roughly 40-50% of the times I drive a vehicle out of the gun shop near Mosate Soleo or onto the onto the road that leads to the Marina. And it becomes more frequent the further I get in the game. The only way to fix it is to turn off the Xbox and restart it. I got so tired of it I started walking in and out of these areas -- seems like the only way to prevent the console from crashing.

This might explain why you're seeing some of these strange events that we've not encountered.  I've never had my PS3 freeze in a predictable way in dozens of plays/partial plays with FC2.  In fact, I don't remember the game freezing on me at all.

eor123

Imagine sneaking into the pump house, retrieving the briefcase for Andre, slipping past the the Brewery, the mortar guy on the island, the patrolling GL Swamp Boats, the GP, and a couple of vehicles -- without firing a shot or having one fired at you, and on Infamous.

You get into the AT at the graveyard for a short drive back to Mike's Bar. A few seconds after turning onto the road that goes down to the bar, the console freezes and you have to completely reboot, forcing you back to the last save point when you grabbed the briefcase waaay back at the pump house.

:D :D :D :D

I came awfully close to throwing the controller into a 32 inch flat screen TV.

Art Blade

I strongly recommend you keep the controller but indeed throw that fricking console of yours out the window  ;D

eor123

But what would I have to talk about without a glitchy console?  :)

Art Blade

mandru

I'm not going to gloat over the PC's ability to save on the fly at any time as opposed to being limited by a console's ability to save at a gun shop, safe house or faction headquarters.

However that said I am thankful that I'm on a PC.

You console guys are a tougher breed than I'm cut from.  ;D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Quote from: eor123 on April 09, 2010, 08:46:48 AM
Imagine sneaking into the pump house, ... few seconds after turning onto the road that goes down to the bar, the console freezes and you have to completely reboot, forcing you back to the last save point when you grabbed the briefcase waaay back at the pump house.

:D :D :D :D

I came awfully close to throwing the controller into a 32 inch flat screen TV.

I completely understand your feelings eor123 - I can imagine how disappointing that would be, especially in that area - the southern edge of Lake Segolo has always been an area that I've tried to avoid whenever possible.  In fact, when I get the mission to kill the suit at the pipeline (the one on the platform), I usually take the bus to the southwest bust stop and then travel overland, first by buggy, then walking until I get to a spot on the western edge of the area.

Art Blade

That mortar area there isn't really so difficult, only it takes so much time and consideration if you want to survive. The time factor combined with thoughtful combat is the only reason why I don't use that road when I'm on a mission, I'd rather drive around the lake and through Port Selao; the time I need may be the same, but it is spent much more pleasantly.  :)

ninzza

In my recent playthrough on the PS3, I didn't encounter any issues but when I loaded a save game it got forzen once,  I had to turned off the console and then reloaded it, thank God, this time it worked. In previous 3 playthroughs on my 360, the first had no problems, but the 2nd and the 3rd it got the freezing problems at 73% and 59%.

Tags:
🡱 🡳