Traumatized Merc

Started by tehsam016, June 25, 2009, 08:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tehsam016

Just got done completing the mission in the North Railyard where you have to blow up that big oil tank. (in a pretty hilarious way) From the start I knew it was going to go smooth since I had a Uni. I started out by parking my Uni on top of the hill right next to the railyard (and thankfully for the Uni's 4 wheel drive) I got through the trail leading to the well known sniping spot through the small mountains. As I parked my Uni I made sure I had plenty of room to aim the monstrous .50 cal on top down in case they proceeded up the mountain to flank. The first bullet i fired was a dart that missed it's targets head by inches, which then prompted me to start the aforementioned trauma for the poor mercs. After popping a few mercs in the head with my dragunov, a few grew some balls and decided to try to flank me but that didn't matter since my .50 cal was waiting for em as they topped the hill. As soon as I took care of the few "heroes" I went back to preying on mercs from afar. The first shot I took had just wounded a merc when the (evil, and undeniably clever) thought came across my head to just use him as bait for more to come out of hiding to tend his wounds. As you can probably guess this worked, and it worked quite well. So well I cleared the rest of the site using this technique (with the same guy I shot in first place, for every 5 guys there were left). Oddly enough the very last guy I shot who tried to help just slumped over the very most original victim, finally putting him, and himself to eternal sleep ;P. Was quite fun all-in-all though,  there isn't many times in the harder modes where you feel totally in control of situations :).

Art Blade

very entertaining story, tehsam016  :-X

I admit I never used that bait strategy on that mission, as far as I remember. (I liked to drive up there too, with a grenade launcher AT, and lob grens down at the railyard like a moron, blowing the place to kingdom come) However, when I used a sniper rifle (Dart, mostly) I liked the thrill... will they find me and get to me? More than once they managed to flank me, ensuing a firefight on top of the hill, and then I was wondering if there were some left down there.

I like your approach and I hope to remember it the next time I'm around that place  :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

retiredgord

Good mission results tehsam016. That's a very clever way to see how much those mercs look after each other.  Good job.
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

spaceboy

I'd love to see the screenshot of that.  There must have been about 6 bodies then all piled up?  He must have been a pretty well liked merc for each guy to go offer help when he sees 2 or 3 guys sniped right at that position.

Great approach  :-X

Also, I like your new Bob Marley avatar - at least I hadn't noticed it before.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

I agree - great approach - I can't count the number of times I've been on that mission, and never from your approach.  The last time I did have my Uni parked on top of the hill, but it was so I could drive down toward the railroad in a shortcut to PetroSahel.

tehsam016

Thanks for the comments, and i indeed wish I had thought of capturing some pictures of the aftermath, but was too happy i pulled it off/writing the story on here =P. I shall try to do another mission with the same tactic and perhaps get some video footage. We shall see. ;)

PZ

lol, I can relate - been there many times before myself - videos would be great - I know I speak for lots of the members in saying that we really like the posted media!  :-X

JRD

It proves, again, that you can do the same mission in so many different ways that the game NEVER plays the same twice. The Far Cry 2 spirit  ;D ;D ;D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

tehsam016

Indeed, it's always fun to plan out how you're going to accomplish things, and then have that plan totally go as planned :P.

JRD

Quote from: tehsam016 on June 28, 2009, 09:07:04 AM
Indeed, it's always fun to plan out how you're going to accomplish things, and then have that plan totally go as planned :P.

... or have it all wrong and improvise a plan B that is actually much better  ;)

Oh man... I love this game  ;D ;D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

true... the more I find out about other games, the more I know how much I love FC2  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: JRD on June 28, 2009, 09:10:28 AM
... or have it all wrong and improvise a plan B that is actually much better  ;)
Oh man... I love this game  ;D ;D

... or having it going just as planned and see that spot on the hillside that you never visited before - then when you go there, find that it is a perfect place from which to launch an attack... change the plan of attack to the new version...

Oh yeah... I still love this game, and I still find my way back every morning on the PS3 despite the 4:3 aspect ratio.  ;)

Art Blade

I have a proper traumatized merc for you. I needed some revenge for all those shenanigans the mercs had up their sleeves for me in the fort and stuffed those sniper towers with explosives. When I hit the button... the one guard got airborne... still upright... LOL

[smg id=1068 align=center width=400]

PZ

Did you sneak into (and then back out of) the fort to set these IEDs?

Art Blade

No. I drove up, walked in, placed the IEDs and walked back out. I then set off the IEDs to take the screenshot and to surprise the mercs... who would have tried to kill me all the time if I hadn't used the ignorePlayer cheat  :P ;D

PZ

lol, I keep forgetting the cheats, speaking of which, I used the v1.03 trainer today.  Was quite a bit of fun running at 5x the speed - you really don't need a vehicle any more.  Then when you get to your location, you can toggle it off again for a more realistic experience.  Using the jump function is also really cool - you can get to high places that normally you'd not be able to get to.  Using the trainer has opened up a whole new world for me (no pun intended).  ;)

Art Blade

haha :) I prefer modified shortcuts (desktop shortcuts to the FC2 exe with command line cheats)

I find it difficult, or more to the point, exhausting, to travel around without ignorePlayer. I enjoy it so much to just cruise around... shoot one or two mercs... play around... and sometimes I feel like having an adrenalin rush, then I disconnect and start without that ignore cheat. :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳