Maybe this is why the mercs hate you so much...

Started by PZ, June 04, 2009, 10:56:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

I just tried Art's method on a malaria mission this morning (PS3).  Left my Unimog at the Pala bus station, and rode the bus to the southeast station, intending to go to the undertaker underground mission.  I did not steal a vehicle, but instead, walked toward the underground house.

This is how this mission differed from most others I have done:

• I managed to sneal past the GP without alerting anyone( no biggie so far) - the ATP passed by me several times (no cammo suit) while I crouched within meters of the road.  I'm not usually this lucky.
  • It was very immersive to be walking, hear an approaching vehicle, and ducking for cover - I was never discovered even though the ATP passed me at least 6 times during the mission.
  • When I approached the underground house, all the mercs were facing in the same direction (away from me) arranged like bowling pins.  One by one, I took them out with the 6P9 - none of the others moved a muscle - unlocked the underground house and completed my business - mission accomplished.  This is the first time I've experienced mercs so complacent - they just stood there like I had used the zombieai cheat.
  • Made my way back to the bus stop on foot (again without any molestation from the mercs) and took the bus back to Pala - you guessed it - my Unimog was still there - a merc had not stolen it!
So I wondered... maybe the mercs hate me so much because I always steal their vehicles.  And because I do, they steal my vehicle in return.  It is amazing that they were so lackluster during this particular mission.

Of course, the title of this thread exhibits a bit of tongue-in-cheek humor; I really doubt that  my stealing vehicles alters their perception of me, but I found their behavior during this mission quite funny!

The moral of the story:
I traveled a road that I'd not traveled before and encountered mercs I'd never seen on all of the plays through.  Riding the bus, returning, and finding your vehicle was marvelous to experience, and has changed the way I'm making decisions on mission approach.  Additionally, walking/swimming through the African countryside has been a delightful experience in itself.  If you haven't done so, I'd recommend trying Art's method just for a new way to enjoy the game.

Art Blade

Good read, and very interesting :)  :-X

It was Ricamundo who came up with it, originally. All I did was confirm it  :-X

Indeed, when I leave my car so I can sneak around, I rely on sounds I hear making decisions. I am amazed at how reckless those mercs are at times. :) And I love having my car waiting for me  ;D

I think I'm going to edit the post you're referring to, and call it the "Park & Ride" method  :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Ricamundo

You know, my car was still parked where i had left it at the bus station up near Petro Sahel, when i went back a few minutes later on a buddy mish, and today (on map 2 now) I had left a unimog at the bus stop near Mike's, and came back shortly after, and, you guessed it, still there.
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

PZ

Well, it's a great find Ricamundo - I'm now playing the game a different way than before, and keeping my favorite vehicles.  I must say that it generates a different mindset when you adopt a new technique.

spaceboy

that is a good read.  Except for keeping cars, your description of walking, swimming reminds me of how I normally play - just take it as it comes.  If I lost my car in a roadside fight (I blow up my own rides alot on accident).  I would just continue on hoofing it - no quick saves on consoles make that an easier choice as well.  But I'd "stumbled" upon really great views and a wonderful feeling of immersion when I found myself taking a diff. path on foot - changing my approach I had planned.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

RedRaven

went thru a phase where would destroy every vehicle i could (wondered about mercs motor pool - infinite would seem), but even went as far as blowing all GP stock i didnt need, and if a dead merc dropped a grenade would pick it up, even if it meant throwing one away cos of limit can carry)
didnt seem to make any differences at all but it was actions of principle (thats what kept telling myself everytime 
zebra or moose thing got blasted into the air.....)
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Tags:
🡱 🡳