Conversations With Rescue Buddies

Started by wexer9, February 01, 2010, 07:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wexer9

If you meet your Rescue Buddy in a safehouse, they will have something to say to you. Just now, my RB Flora told me it was a waste of time when I kept my BB Paul alive last time, because he's a magnet for trouble. :P

RedRaven

I don't know, these mercs and their petty squables ;D
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

mandru

Nice find wexer9 and for me a particularly interesting gem.  :)  :-X

Quote from: wexer9 on February 01, 2010, 07:25:13 AM
If you meet your Rescue Buddy in a safehouse, they will have something to say to you. Just now, my RB Flora told me it was a waste of time when I kept my BB Paul alive last time, because he's a magnet for trouble. :P

I have an ongoing project to locate as much of the cross chatter that occurs between buddies when they speak of each other in an attempt to see more of their personalities and details into their histories.

This is the link to that thread. http://openworldgames.org/owg/forums/index.php?topic=1051.msg14958#msg14958

Flora once warned me about best buddy Michelle "You watch out for her, she likes to surround herself with big strong men".

I've currently collected pages and pages of notes on Andre and Michelle that I'm trying to sort out the info type I'm looking for and eliminate the stray chat-up they give you that doesn't add story info.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

spaceboy

That's great actually that it was contectually correct if you had just saved Paul recently.  There are those remnants of an even deeper game Art was talking about.

Probably the funniest thing I remember hearing was when Nasreen gave me grief about my loadout with a backhanded complement.  "You're not a bad shot despite your choice in weapons".  I was like, "good enough to save your butt" (this happened after blowing the pump house).
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

wexer9

Cool project, mandru! :)

And yes, spaceboy, I had recently saved Paul (he was shot and I revived him).

And that's a funny compliment, ha ha. :P

Art Blade

Cool, I see potential in a colaboration between mandru and wexer9 finding those lines which relate to other buddies :)

Space, I had nearly the same experience with Nasreen (different location, I think blowing up the kilns) in my last playthrough. She only said I had a strange taste for weapons when I used the M-79; when I used the MP-5, I got a more regular comment. Made me chuckle, then  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

I think it was Nasreen that has commented at a mission end (I didn't document it so I can't be sure it might have been Michelle) something along the lines of "All that fancy gun play you love so much is going to get you into trouble"

I would happily invite anyone to track all the possible mutations of word tracking on a play through for a BB and posting on that other thread. It would be most welcome.

Here recently instead of playing through games I've just been going back to key saves and rampaging in god mode and non-degrading weapons so I don't loose my game line to finish out researching Andre.

Andre is a secretive cuss and I'm having a dickens of a time getting anything revealing out of the other buddies about him.  :-\

- mandru

wexer9

Ha ha, I guess you gotta keep trying. :P

eor123

Marty is quite eloquent.... 

"Seriously, fcuk it...this place is like a plane with the engines falling off and the pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "

"I'm gonna take a 762 piss in their punch bowl. When you are done wrecking their sh!$ hook up with me." 
"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

wexer9

Quote from: eor123 on March 16, 2010, 11:49:31 AM
Marty is quite eloquent.... 

"Seriously, fcuk it...this place is like a plane with the engines falling off and the pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "

"I'm gonna take a 762 piss in their punch bowl after you wreck their sh!$."

LOL. Gotta love Marty. :P

Art Blade

I never realised he ever said that, eor!  :-X  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

eor123

Frank Bilders on Nasreen Davar:

"Duvar's a killing machine. I guess the girls who grew up in her valley didn't wish for ponies."

Nasreen Davar on my skills / weapon choice.:

"You're a fair shot, even if you have strange taste in weapons."
"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

Art Blade

Hehe, good find :) I've heard the last one, too, at me picking an M79  ;D

By the way, that Marty-line as your signature is great  :-X

eor123

The M79 is a great weapon. It's always one of the first I buy when I have the opportunity and I never leave a Safe House without it.  ;D

Art Blade

Took me ages to realise and love that weapon: yes, it is :)

eor123

With the exception of the 3rd Act, I have played through entire games with only an AK47 or FN-FAL Paratrooper, an M79, and a Dart Rifle.

3rd Act seems to call for significantly heavier firepower if you choose to fight it out. The Landing Area can get pretty wild -- but I learned some tricks.

You only have to kill one person there.  ;) 

Art Blade

If you killed the rest before they could ever get there, you mean?  ;D

eor123

Quote from: Art Blade on March 17, 2010, 05:15:55 PM
If you killed the rest before they could ever get there, you mean?  ;D

I tried killing all the buddies after the buddy missions were completed but still ended up with  two in Mike's Bar -- perhaps a result of the order in which I did the missions, or of doing all the missions?

I hit them with M79 rounds before I "died" but they remained on the buddies list as "missing" and reappeared at the Landing Zone in the final act.

I just shoot and kill the guy standing next to the diamond case at the Landing Zone before entering the enclosure, casually walk over, face the exit, pick up the case and run like Hell.

If I feel mean, I circle around and shoot them through the wooden fence with the 50 cal sniper rifle. One time I left four of them lying there wounded, moaning and coughing. Karma's a bitch, sometimes.

I tried reviving one of them so I could kill them again, but you can't do that apparently.

And yes... I have issues with betrayal.  ;D

Art Blade

Hehe, I did that too, leaving the wounded behind once, when I purposely let all of them live to see the LZ.

If two showed up, I think that's ok, (one from Leboa is always there) and maybe you had the 2nd one from Bowa.

eor123

The first time I did the Landing Zone I didn't know the deal and paid a high price for keeping all those treacherous bastards alive! I remember being so dismayed that I actually thought my best buddy Josip  was really trying to help me in the mayhem.

FAIL.

fragger

Why do your buddies turn against you at the LZ anyway? I've never really understood that. Or am I missing something? Usually, I whack the first "buddy" I see from outside the fence, grab the diamond case and nick off with it, sometimes stopping in the watery area outside the LZ to clobber any of the rotters had have the hide to come after me.

Is there ever any explanation for the big backstab?

Art Blade

Not to my knowledge. Nor do we know why some who got shot went missing instead of rotting away just to show up when you least expect it. My guess for the turn at the LZ is the fact that everyone wants to get out, and to do so, need diamonds. Which doesn't explain how all those buddies think they can make it with only one guy less (you) so I think they'll shoot it out this way or another before they reach the extraction point. Never really satisfying, as many of us agreed, the end of the game is wanting, at best.

eor123

The ending is rather Nihilist.

I attributed it to the mindset of the French Canadian developers.

;)

Art Blade

mandru

OK, yes the game creators were making political commentary but I'm going to look past that rigid scripting for a minute.

Betrayal at the LZ is attributed by way of scripted dialog from the buddies to the point of the game where you are sent to pick up the diamond case from the opposing faction leader and instead of bringing the case to the landing field so that you and all of your buddies can escape the country the Jackal knocks you out and you go to prison instead of meeting up with them.

Your buddy that greets you at the LZ is the one you set free at the prison.  So they at least know you were there at the prison with them if not the story behind how you got there but if you remember the initial greeting is pretty nasty as they are talking to you through the crack between cells. 

It's usually something along the lines of "Why the hell didn't you bring the damn diamonds like you said you would?" Then they go on to detail how everyone was waiting for you to show up but the pilot took off with out them when the soldiers stormed the field and things got ugly.

Your buddy that greets you at the LZ does try to cover for you with one of the others saying something something like "Aw, come on. He's one of us!" but the other buddy that steps out from behind the wrecked aircraft will reject their words with "He made his own deal! He's on his own (from Quarbani) and we have to fend for ourselves now."

Once the shooting starts your BB knows that if they don't help take you out with the other surviving buddies their loyalty will come into question from the others and miscalculates by underestimating you and they place their safety on the side of force of numbers sadly even after all you've been through they should have had faith in your flipping the odds one more time.

At least that's my read for why the betrayal happens.
- mandru

Tags:
🡱 🡳