Conversations With Rescue Buddies

Started by wexer9, February 01, 2010, 07:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

Quote from: fragger on April 15, 2010, 05:28:54 AM
Lol ;D

Just as an aside, that "truism" has always been misquoted. The original saying was, "Lack of money is the root of all evil". There also appears to be some dispute over whether it was Mark Twain or George Bernard Shaw who said it first.

Sorry, I just thought I'd be a trivia geek and mention it ::)

A bit off topic here:

In Brazil we have a saying that goes like this:
"Money won`t bring you any happiness... but can have it delivered to you"  ;D ;D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

make much more sense; both fragger's and JRD's versions :) Cheers  :-X

Heh, we have a saying that goes "money alone doesn't make you happy"
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Or even "Money is not a problem, is the solution"  ;D ;D ;D ;D

eor123

Having been gaming much after completing "Red Dead Redemption." Put FC2 in the machine yesterday for old time's sake. It is still my favorite game.

Caught a couple of good quotes from Michelle.

"I can't get used to the feeling of someone shooting at me. It's absurd."

"Damn it! God damn it! I am sick of these men and their sh!$!"

I had planned on sacrificing Michelle in order to make the extra buddy missions available but I just can't force myself to let her die.
"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

Art Blade

Nice quotes :)

You shouldn't "let her die" as in wait until she dies, bloody kill her!  ;D

As to conversations, just yell "Let's get over with this s#!t!"  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

I've heard that line of Michelle's about men and their s#!t, never heard the other one :-X

As for being reluctant about letting her die, just keep thinking "Landing Zone... Landing Zone... Landing Zone..." ;D

eor123

Being the consummate Southern gentleman, I kept rescuing Michelle, even though she was badly wounded and had several opportunities to off her. 

It's funny how I can't turn off my values, even when assuming a role in a video game. I tried being a bad guy in RDR -- just couldn't do it.

I was down to the last side mission in Act One -- where Michele blows up the fuel tankers near the scrap yard. I knew if I was going to get the extra buddy missions, she was going to have to die.

I replayed the end of that mission at least six times, hoping she would be mortally wounded, allowing me a futile attempt to save her. Then I could proceed with a clear conscience

But she kept wiping out the mercs, even with me just standing back at a distance, doing nothing. I shot her a couple of times but it made me miserable so I reloaded the save point and tried again.

Finally, she was mortally wounded, even with me making a strong effort to help her. I killed five mercs as soon as I could get to the firefight and hit her with a syrette as soon as I could get to her. She died and I have a clear conscience.  ;D   

"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

Art Blade

Hehe, nice story  ;D

I know that feeling about playing as the good guy versus playing the bad guy. Like you, I always stick to the good guy role.

There is one exception to that rule, though.. buddies  in FC2  ;D ;D ;D

eor123

It was interesting -- seeing the AI behave radically differently in that once instance after watching them doing the same things from the same locations several times in a row. And I did nothing different.

That seems to explain the few occasions when there was nothing I could do to get to a firefight quickly enough, assist, and revive a buddy.

I had noted before that there does seems to be instances in which the game really wants to kill one of the buddies. 

Art Blade

yes, I too think so. Sometimes my RB was seriously wounded and kept dying no matter what (including me helping him resulting in an overdose), every time I reloaded that savegame, and then, all of a sudden, he's safe and sound, happily killing everyone around. Then I shot him.  ;D

mandru

I play nice guy in FC2 by always going to help the priest and underground in Pala and trying to not run over goats.  Beyond that everyone has a bull's eye tattooed on them.   :-*

I even found a clear line of sight on Reuben by parking my AT next to the freight canister in the rear, jumping up onto its open door and then climbing to a gap in the wall that's there while he's waiting to meet me inside the hanger.

I tried to take the shot but he's not a kill-able character.   :D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

..nor is he a punchable-to-pulp character. I really wouldn't mind him to be that when he starts to talk endlessly without leaving you a chance to get out before he has finished blabbering (especially the scene in the hangar before the landing zone part). Sometimes you may just walk away and people stop talking and just shout the briefest of all versions at your back  ;)

fragger

Quote from: eor123 on July 16, 2010, 02:52:56 PM
It's funny how I can't turn off my values, even when assuming a role in a video game.

I know exactly how you feel, eor. There's that sick level in Modern Warfare 2 where the player has to go undercover and take part in helping terrorists wipe out crowds of innocent civilians in an airport terminal, and I found it totally repugnant. Players are given the option of skipping over that level, but only at the start of the game, and it provides no indication of the nature of the offending level or where in the game it occurs, just that there was a mission somewhere in the game which "may offend some people, so you may wish to skip it", or words to that effect. If they'd put the skip option immediately before the level in question and given me some idea of what I'd be doing in it, I would have skipped it. But I ended up going through it as it was my first time through and I didn't know when it was coming or what was going to happen in it, and once I was into the mission I couldn't just opt out if it, not if I wanted to get to the rest of the game, because I'd said "no" to the skip option. But there's no way I'll ever play that level again - it repels me, mere game though it may be. Bumping off buddies in FC2 is different - after the first thru you know how they'll treat you later, plus they're combatants who can actually kill you in the endgame. Blowing away unarmed holidaymakers by the dozen in an airport terminal in such a cold-blooded and brutally graphic manner was stomach-turning for me, and for my money marked a low point in video gaming history.

Btw, I know I made a joke about it earlier, but I can't bring myself to kill any of the FC2 women either. I've got too much of the "protection-of-the-female" gene in me  :-\

Art Blade

I remember we had a discussion about that particular level. And about killing animals or women in games.. well, as long as I can do what I want as opposed to being forced to do something I don't want, it's alright for me to go off track sometimes. In general however I play what suits me most: the good type of character.

KingRat

I've been playing alot of Mass Effect 1&2 the last couple months, and my paragon/renegade usually winds up 100/25  :) I mentioned on another forum that in order for me to play more renegade I'd have to do a female Commander Shepard and model her after my ex-wife  ;D

Art Blade

LOL ;D I believe that the definition for hate is unrequited love. Why else would anyone have married a dragon in the first place?  ;D

eor123

Heard a new one from Flora.

Regarding Michelle Dachs:

"She is a thrill-seeking degenerate who likes to surround herself with dangerous men."

mandru

- mandru

JRD

I remember that one!

Oh yeah, Michelle... call me dangerous, call me degenerate, but call me!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Nice to see you are playing FC2... I only come back to Africa when I`m really bored nowadays!

Enjoy, mate and keep us posted!  :-X :-X

Art Blade

PZ

Quote from: JRD on September 03, 2010, 12:27:10 AM
Nice to see you are playing FC2... I only come back to Africa when I`m really bored nowadays!

Enjoy, mate and keep us posted!  :-X :-X

Same here, and it kind of makes me sad  :-(  FC2 was the highlight of my day for over a year - no other game has come quite as close, but I guess that I'm a junkie for the latest glitz and glamour.

mandru

Besides the fact that I am still enjoying FC2 (I tend to do more rampaging than following story line) I still get in at least an hour a day on it because I'm too cheap to buy something else that I'm not sure I'm going to enjoy as much.   :-D
- mandru

JRD

I gave up looking for a replacement for FC2!

It's like an ex-girlfriend... you will never be happy if you look for her on other girlfriends, so you better enjoy what the actual one has to offer  :-()

I think the only game that might give us back that feeling FC2 had on us is Warhound, if it ever make it to release, that is!!!

I decided to try different game styles, that's how I ended up getting Borderlands. It might not be the best game I ever played, but it is fun like hell! You see, I never really enjoyed monsters/other planets/RPGs, but I learned to enjoy BL for what it offers - fun gameplay and a compelling SP!!!!

Art Blade

our mandru has a glacial reaction time when it comes to deciding whether or not to get a new game. Like, once he's got something, he'll stick to it, no matter what. The kind of guy who would still go to the beach for a slight tan, like he used to, even if the sun had dropped out of the sky hundreds of years ago.  ;D

mandru

Well the cheap part of that has something to do with it too.  Rather a lot of it.  ;)
- mandru

Tags:
🡱 🡳