What spot in the game gives you the most trouble...

Started by PZ, April 29, 2009, 07:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

I just read a post by retiredgord that gave me the idea to start a thread containing difficult spots and you people overcome them.  For me:

• Dogon village can give lots of trouble - now I always sneak in sticking to the eastern edge of the village, run part way up the stairs toward the glider and then turn and take out the mortar guy.  I mostly go in and escape without firing more than half a dozen shots at the most - usually 6P9 and dart.
  • The pipeline/brewery area is a hornet's nest of activity - sometimes I take out the mortar merc on the island by boating up behind him.  I often avoid the area altoghether by neading in via the southwest bus stop - do my business and then get out the same way I got in

Foghorn Leghorn

I find that Goka Falls, as soon as I've killed Kouassi/Gakumba (depends on the scenario), is a hornet's nest as well - if I stay and hammer it out.  It would appear that jumping off the Falls may be the best plan here....

Also, defending the Barge on its voyage into Port Selao can be very tricky, depending on the attempt.  Sometimes it seems like there are boats everywhere, other times not so many at all.  Either way it's critical to take out the rocket launcher on the cliff as quickly as possible....

PZ

Quote from: Foghorn Leghorn on April 29, 2009, 08:09:59 AM
I find that Goka Falls, as soon as I've killed Kouassi/Gakumba (depends on the scenario), is a hornet's nest as well - if I stay and hammer it out. 

Because the hornets spawn after you kill Gakumba, one interesting twist on this mission is to take IEDs and plant a few in his building, then exit.  No one will be around, and no one appears until you detonate the IEDs.  You could be heading down the trail or across the foot bridge to escape by that route, laughing all the way down...

Foghorn Leghorn

Quote from: PZ on April 29, 2009, 08:20:10 AM
Quote from: Foghorn Leghorn on April 29, 2009, 08:09:59 AM
I find that Goka Falls, as soon as I've killed Kouassi/Gakumba (depends on the scenario), is a hornet's nest as well - if I stay and hammer it out. 

Because the hornets spawn after you kill Gakumba, one interesting twist on this mission is to take IEDs and plant a few in his building, then exit.  No one will be around, and no one appears until you detonate the IEDs.  You could be heading down the trail or across the foot bridge to escape by that route, laughing all the way down...

That's a great idea that I'll try next time!  I equipped the 6P9 instead, as it allowed me to patiently pick off one at a time on my way up without announcing my arrival to everyone.  I also thought about booby trapping the area with IED's the same way, then shooting Kouassi/Gakumba, then trying to hide and set off the IEDs and watch all the hornets get fried at once....

Art Blade

I didn't know that IEDs would stop mercs from showing up... As far as I remember, I read in that Prima Guide to place them in order to bomb a breach you can escape through, indeed jumping off that bridge. I did exactly that. although I think I waited long enough after killing the leader in that hut. Maybe if you do it quickly... I'm going to find out some time :)

What I hate is the northern part in Bowa between Outpost and Dogon Village. There is a "Health" Guard Post with a Carl G and that .50cal Patrol... things can get ugly there. Oh and in general I hate mortar mercs (Dogon Village, Brewery/MS Pipeline Co). They shoot so gaaawd-daaaamn accurately  >:(
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

The worst for me in Leboa are Mokuba and Scrap Salvage.  In Bowa it's Dogon and the Brewery/Pipeline area.  I remember having to get to the prison and just walking as close to the hills as possible to try and avoid that whole area (with no safe house along the way from Mike's I was worried I'd run out of ammo before getting there - not knowing what to expect of course).

I didn't mind the Goka spawning mercs too bad,  I don't even remember my first playthrough there  :-[  but second time I shot Kouassi with a grenade launcher through the back window so I was able to man one of the stationary guns and take them all out coming down the hill.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

retiredgord

My toughest, because it was at night, (red-haired people supposed to have better night vision), was in the North at the Police station and that sharp-eyed dude with the rocket launcher.  He got me good a few times before I even knew his position. Also the diamond and, I think, a mission at Mokuba because of the lay-out.  As for the South, almost everyones fave, Dogon Village. I took the west side up repeatedly with fair success at night to the middle layer and set up a "killing field" with only one way into my spot(s). The other was the pipeline and Brewery area with that damned motar guy.  I was wasted 2-3 time before I found him because I was sneaking around at night.  He had better night vision than me..bas*ard.
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on April 29, 2009, 08:35:32 AM
I didn't know that IEDs would stop mercs from showing up...

I don't think that the IEDs stop them from showing, but the newly spawned mercs don't show until you detonate the planted IEDs.  After killing the mercs on the way to Gakumba, I planted the IEDs and then walked around outside for a while.  Then after detonating, the new mercs spawned.

PZ

Quote from: retiredgord on April 29, 2009, 09:12:12 AM
My toughest, because it was at night, (red-haired people supposed to have better night vision), was in the North at the Police station and that sharp-eyed dude with the rocket launcher.  He got me good a few times before I even knew his position. Also the diamond and, I think, a mission at Mokuba because of the lay-out.  As for the South, almost everyones fave, Dogon Village. I took the west side up repeatedly with fair success at night to the middle layer and set up a "killing field" with only one way into my spot(s). The other was the pipeline and Brewery area with that damned motar guy.  I was wasted 2-3 time before I found him because I was sneaking around at night.  He had better night vision than me..bas*ard.

Yeah, I remember that guy at the police station - I've found two ways to sneak in and get him - one from the valley to the north - hugging the hills and keeping the tree between you and him, you can get so close you can count the hairs on his chin...  The other way is from the road to the south (I think) where you can sneak up to the edge of the bridge leading to him.  Because he usually faces the police station, you can easily get him with the dart.

You're spot on with Mokuba - one of the toughest for me!

JRD

As spaceboy and PZ I hate Mokuba... its narrow alleyways are always tough to deal. Specially cos mercs insist on staying alive even after a few rounds of my PKM or assault rifle  and I usually don't carry any shotguns. Maybe the sawed off shotgun could be of great use there, but I have no DLC......

The Fort is also a place I dislike. Can't say I hate, but the approach is always tricky and once you get there, you have to burst in... never made it unnoticed. Actually, I figured that going through the eastern path and taking the snipers is a best route. Once up there, I throw a few grenades and molotovs through that southern entrance and move around, close to the wall to the eastern edge of the fort. You can blind throw more grenades and molotovs inside the place and hit a few propane tanks in there, creating panic.

The post office was tough too, untill I found an excellent sniping spot there, now its a nice shooting practice ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, I had trouble first time through Mokuba as well. After that, I just avoid it. Same goes for Dogon, if I don't have to go there, I don't, and when I do, it's with a grenade truck to pummel the place for 10 minutes before I drive closer and pummel it some more. Come to think of it, that's pretty much my M.O. anywhere, drive close with the truck and start shooting until nothing is moving, drive a little closer and shoot some more, etc, until I finally think it's safe enough to get out of the truck, then mop up with hand weapons.

There are a few times I'll go in stealth though, and just try to take out a few as possible, or just the target, and get back out.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Quote from: JRD on April 29, 2009, 11:02:57 AM
...The post office was tough too, untill I found an excellent sniping spot there, now its a nice shooting practice ;)

I used your method the last time I was there - quite fun with the AS50 and the flammables!

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Quote from: PZ on April 29, 2009, 11:58:06 AM
Quote from: JRD on April 29, 2009, 11:02:57 AM
...The post office was tough too, untill I found an excellent sniping spot there, now its a nice shooting practice ;)

I used your method the last time I was there - quite fun with the AS50 and the flammables!

I still want to check sniping spots to each sub-area of the map... I know some places like scrap salvage will have just a sniper tower as a spot, but that should be enough.
By the way... since I developed a technique to sneak into scrap salvage and climb the sniper nest, the place also turned into a playground for me ;)

Art Blade

Argh, I forgot about that bloody scrap yard. I get lost in it and surrounded all the time. It's kind of a peek-a-boo game for them, only they go "WELL, LOOK WHAT WE GOT HERE!"

JRD

Try this... sneak in, go up the sniper nest and finish him (if someone is there). Mercs are too dumb to go up after you, instead, they stop and shoot at you from open space  :P. Make sure you have a sniper rifle with you in case there is no one to borrow and have fun  ;D ;D ;D

Art Blade

thank you JRD, will give it a try. (I never walk around without at least one sniper rifle ;D )

PZ

Quote from: JRD on April 29, 2009, 12:48:13 PM
Try this... sneak in, go up the sniper nest and finish him (if someone is there). Mercs are too dumb to go up after you, instead, they stop and shoot at you from open space  :P . Make sure you have a sniper rifle with you in case there is no one to borrow and have fun  ;D ;D ;D

Curiously enough, there was one instance where one of the mercs did climb the tower and started hitting me with hot lead!  Even funnier was that he ran back down the stairs when I moved toward him, but when I returned up to fire, he had come up behind me again!

Art Blade

The next time they do that, I'd beat twelve shades of living crap out of him with an old trout, just to teach him manners ;D

Aeris

I agree with most of the spots that people have spoken about in this thread...

Leboa-Sako:

-- Mokuba.
-- Scrap Salvage.
-- Shwasana.

Bowa-Seko:

-- Dogon Village.
-- Pipe-Line / Brewery Sector.
-- Ranger Station.
-- Sediko.
-- North-Eastern Quadrant By the Crash Site, Bus Station And Gun Shop, the route has MGL Assault Trick patrols...

JRD

Quote from: Aeris on April 30, 2009, 03:02:00 AM
-- North-Eastern Quadrant By the Crash Site, Bus Station And Gun Shop, the route has MGL Assault Trick patrols...

You are right about the MGL truck... but check this thread and also this vid created by our fellow player spearhead_22

[smg id=10 type=av]

It should be helpfull info to increase your fun  ;)

Dweller_Benthos

Quote from: Art Blade on April 29, 2009, 12:24:10 PM
Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on April 29, 2009, 11:31:30 AMthat's pretty much my M.O. anywhere

sorry, what does M.O. stand for?

Modus operandi - the term cops use to describe a criminal's usual way of doing things http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modus_operandi though it's come into the general language as just someone's habits.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

CaptainGotShot

M.O. stands for modus operandi.  Which is latin for mode of operation.  The standard method you use for attacking or defending or having fun.

One of mine is sneaking in and slapping IED's on all the vehicles.  Then I sneak back out and shoot a few.  And giggle when the hornets all run to the trucks...

PZ

IED fun with mercs is one of the favorite past times of several of our members, myself included.  I believe that one of the guys posted a YouTube of an assault truck loaded with IEDs being driven full speed into a guard post, bailing out, and detonating from afar - quite entertaining!

Welcome to the forums CaptainGotShot   :-X

Tags:
🡱 🡳