Started by mandru, February 11, 2015, 09:33:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Wow, mandru - you squeeze every single drop of playability out of a game!  :-X

mandru

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

fragger

Cheers nex :) Maybe I do need to do all those things before Pagan and his Wrath show up. I don't remember having to do all that before though, but then I am an ageing bugger and some of my neurons have gone AWOL over the years...

mandru

Earlier in this thread I was having the same trouble with Pagan's Revenge not showing up.  Not getting the Heavy take down unlocked is a real pain in the butt.

After a long conversation and several back and fourths this post best sums up the process I followed:

http://www.openworldgames.org/owg/forums/index.php?topic=3654.msg74967#msg74967

By finding and moving the contents (four files) in the save folder that was updating each time I accessed FC4 (to an archive folder on my desktop) when committing to a restart has prevented a re-occurrence of that problem for me.

When launching, UPlay may toss up a dialog screen saying that there is a discrepancy between Local and Online game files and will then give the option to select from those two choices on how it should proceed.  Selecting Local allows for a reset.

That said this change in the save files will not remove any levels you have reached in Noore's Arena.
- mandru

fragger

A gamer wrote online that if you spare Pagan at the end of the final cutscene and shoot down his chopper after the ash-scattering scene, then go back later and loot his body for his pen, then go back to where the ashes are "scattered" and place Pagan's pen on a plate, it will open a door in his mansion and there is some kind of Easter Egg inside. He wouldn't say what the surprise was, only that he would let others "find it for themselves".

I tried and I tried but I couldn't find any kind of plate inside the shrine (other than the tray that the ashes are placed on, which I couldn't interact with), nor could I interact with any of the plates on the dining table inside the house. I did notice that Ajay's plate was empty after the ash-scattering scene (actually I could see the tabletop through it), whereas during the scene with Min it had food on it. The person who posted the comment said that "a button on the controller needs to be pushed" to put the pen on the plate, which suggests to me that he was playing a console version of the game. Whether this apparent secret has been programmed solely into the console version of the game I don't know.

The door in question is, I suspect, the one to the left of where the note from Ajay's mother to Pagan is stuck on the wall just outside the dining room. I tried a C4 charge on the door but it did nothing.

So either there's a secret still waiting to be plumbed, or the gamer who posted the info has a sick penchant for wasting people's time and/or driving them nuts ????

PZ

Quote from: fragger on June 19, 2015, 08:47:16 AM
So either there's a secret still waiting to be plumbed, or the gamer who posted the info has a sick penchant for wasting people's time and/or driving them nuts ????

If you can't find it, fragger, I suspect the latter  8-X

mandru

I've been killing a lot of time downloading player created challenges.  So I still haven't gotten back into the game to be anywhere close enough to check this out.

I'm still not sure if my version of the game even allows the spare Min option.  :-\\

It is an intriguing possibility though.  :-X

- mandru

Stiku

Depends on your playstyle/choices what the game allows you to do.

Art Blade

I think that a chain of events as described above is far fetched. For instance, I have not been able to spare Min as the game shot him for me. I read here that I am not the only one trying to avoid that kind of auto-execution. So even if it works, letting Min survive, it is quite a leap to think of shooting him down when he escapes. The next leap is to consider finding and looting his body. And then it is a bloody huge leap to walk back, fumble around with controls and oh, I can drop his pen on a plate.. and then oh, a secret door..

To me it sounds so far fetched that I'd love to wrap my keyboard around some dev's head if it was true that you'd find an "Easter egg" that way.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Well, I know it's all doable except for the pen-on-the-plate part. I always seem to get the option of sparing Min no matter how I've played through. First time around I deliberately shot him, but after that I've always waited and I've always gotten the sparing option. I can't understand why some folks never seem to get that option - I know mandru has tried all sorts of approaches, including ones I've used myself, to no avail. Flipping weird. Maybe the installing of the game is like some kind of lottery :-\\

You can shoot Min down while he's leaving after the ash-scattering scene, I've always done that too. You just need to make sure you go to the final meeting (and the battle at the Royal Fortress preceding it) with an RPG, grenade launcher or bow with explosive arrows - anything that shoots an explosive projectile so you can clobber his chopper. His body is always in the same place afterwards when you do that, near the burnt-out wreck of his helicopter next to the road leading up to his mansion, so it's easy to find.

But I think that pen-on-the-plate thing may indeed be BS.

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, I spared him, did the ashes thing and then shot down the chopper, and got his pen, so I also can confirm that much is possible. Taking the pen back to the shrine and placing it somewhere, though, sounds a bit sketchy to me too. Though, if you do get his pen, and happen to sell it, you can go back to his corpse and get another one, so there's always one there, so there may be something to it? I don't have that save game anymore, so I doubt I will ever try it, but until I see a video of someone doing it, I won't consider it real.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

fragger

Agreed, seeing is believing :)

I tried offering up the pen to all sorts of plates, bowls, candles, incense holders and so on, but no interact option of any sort appeared. I tried the fire button (blew a hole in a plate), tried aiming (got a close-up of the late), tried the camera (got an even closer close-up of the plate), tried accessing the loot sack - nothing. There's a Buddha-type statue in the mansion holding out a bowl but I couldn't get into a position to try putting the pen on it, the bowl is too high up.

The guy who wrote the post said you need to "push a button on the controller" to make it all happen. I think he may be trying to push other people's buttons... ::)

mandru

Does the shrine you build in the Ghale homestead have a plate maybe?

No, no there's no space (judging from my memory of the exterior dimensions) on the main floor for there to be a hidden room that a door could open to.  :(
- mandru

PZ

Likely would need to dive into the game code for hints, much like the black mamba story in FC2

fragger

The person who posted the info said "the place where the ashes are scattered".

This is the post I read, verbatim. It was a comment on You Tube:

"I know a secret location if u go back to where u scattered the ashes with pagins pen u place it on a plate (u have to press a button on the controller) and it opens up a stair case in pagins manson but it also opens the door and u go in there to find something which I'll let you all to find" (sic)

Sometime when I've got nothing better to do I might have another poke around.

mandru

In the aftermath of the "I smoked Pagan Min while he chewed a mouthful of Crab Rangoon" ending I've gone back and now after a second looting of Pagan (giving me two of his pens) I revisited the shrine for Lakshmana and there was nothing I was able to trigger in spite of a lot of poking around.  Leaving Min's palace I noted that on the passageway back out to the front entry there are indeed two door that could possibly open into previously inaccessible portions of the palace.  Which I would say really proves nothing.

I also ransacked Jalendu Temple and the Ghale homestead and could find nothing that looked like a possible receptacle for Min's pen or a possible hidden dead space in the floor plan for a hidden room.
- mandru

Dweller_Benthos

Like the old adage goes: "Pics or it didn't happen"
D_B

Art Blade

no vids on YT, speaks for itself
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

nexor

Not making any comments     :-\\
I can't even spare the jackass's life so I can blow him out of the sky    ::)

fragger

I'm wondering if there's some finicky task somewhere that you have to do at a particular time or in the right order or something to enable the sparing option. Maybe it's some approach that some players always take without thinking about it that others don't, like doing one particular side mission before one particular main one, or some such thing. If so, it's dumb. You should always get the option no matter what you do.

Who knows with Ubi ::)

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, I was allowed to spare everyone, so who knows? I did mostly Sabal missions (or only Sabal, forget now) and didn't have to kill anyone. I did all side missions first, before doing main missions, but if that was required, that would be really weird. I didn't kill many civilians if I could avoid it, did a lot of rescuing people from wildlife and being held hostage (at least until my karma was maxed out) so maybe that's it? What karma level was everyone at? I had mine maxed pretty early in the game, about halfway through the first half if that makes any sense. Way before going to the north.
D_B

fragger

Me too, I've always gotten to Karma level 8 before finishing the first half. I also tend to do all the towers, outposts and side missions before any of the mains.

Art Blade

same, I maxed out my karma as soon and as quickly as possible.

mandru

:-D  :-X

I finally was able to get the Spare Pagan ending.  It was satisfying to get to see that iteration of storyline.  I will not admit that I did my happy dance.  8-X

To reach that ending I had played pure Sabal the entire game Offline (with cheats engaged) but at the mission point where it was time to storm the royal palace I exited the game and removed all cheats so I could restart in the Online mode.  I think it was the fact that I was playing offline every time (after my first play through) that blocked this alternate ending.

Because I'd not heard of anyone letting Pagan ride off into the sunset I let him go to see if there was any variations in the post game but I haven't detected any so far.

I think when I consider the phone call interactions with Pagan and the brief face time at the beginning and end of the game that I've come to like him a whole lot more than either Amita or Sabal.  Frankly I got sick of those two trying to manipulate me by telling me what my parents would have done or been proud of but they always bent the truth around to suit their personal ends trying to secure my cooperation.  On my first time through the game I was ready and anxious to put a round into Pagan and jumped at the first opportunity.

Having gone through the game several times now I'm kind of growing fond of the daft old eccentric.

some long winded completely skippable fan-fiction ramblings about dialog that didn't happen in game

I would have loved for Ajay when warned and shoved by Sabal there at Jalendu Temple during Bhadra's purification ritual to have punched back knocking Sabal on his a$$ (with appropriate scripted shocked reactions from all those present) and for Ajay to stand over him threateningly while deliver a dialog along the lines of:

(The scene is set and a slowly circling camera moves to capture the tension ~ Ajay's appearance becomes infused with the aspect of Kalinag continually shifting between one and the other.  The white tiger as seen at a few of the shrines around Kyrat but more resplendent in its true form joins Kalinag's side snarling and glaring menacingly at anyone who moves to protect Sabal.  I also think that it would really be nice if there were some cool atmospheric effects punctuating Ajay's monologue  ;)  )

"No Sabal.  In looking at what you and Amita have become I'm sure my father and mother would have agreed with Pagan who has been saying all along that I needed to tell you to "Stuff it back in your pants, zip up, sit down and  STFU!"

Outside of some minor clean up details while we are encouraging the now unemployed non-native members of Min's troops to self-deport the purpose of Mohan and Ishwari's Golden Path and quite honestly your position as a leader has been fulfilled.  Thank you for your service I would suggest you quickly find a day job.

You personally have declared a need of blood for purification and atonement in Kyrat.  There's been enough of that on both sides to satisfy even the cravings of Yalung.  This desecration of bloodletting in the name of Kyra stops now!  You Sabal are the one who will fall into line or become a minor footnote in the continuing history of the followers of Kyra.

You came under my father's guidance as a snot nosed kid.  You learned how to fight but never gained the poise or grace to realize your nose is still snotty.  The best you ever achieved was a war of attrition that inch by inch you...  No!  It was Kyrat, that was slowly losing.

In our first meeting you were right but only as far as recognizing that my return to Kyrat was an omen of change.  Your pride, your misguided belief that you could begin to understand what the Gods needed from you and your two dimensional perceptions of right and wrong made you incapable of seeing anything other than black and white with nothing in between making it impossible for you to read the winds of change that were so clearly swirling around you!

On the other hand Pagan with all of his flaws, when his blind hunger for revenge over the death of his and Ishwari's daughter my step-sister Lakshmana at the hands of Mohan was sated he became bored and patiently awaited my return. 

Even with all of his misguided goals about how to lead Kyrat He greeted my return with no ulterior motives and far more sincerity than either you or Amita.  And while I was hidden away by my mother I without knowing it was raised in the loving hands of a living Goddess.  My mother was a smart woman she knew what was waiting for me here.  When the time came it was her dying wish that I return to Kyrat with everything she'd instilled in me about seeing balance as well as truth to heal this land.

Yes, Pagan greeted me.  As soon as he had the chance in that moment where I stopped listening to the collective blood lust you and Amita have exuded into your factions for decades he heaved a sigh of relief seeing his hopes fulfilled and without a single condition (other than his helicopter) ceded the throne of Kyrat to me a native son and child of a Tarun Matara.  Yes, you heard right.  Min has stepped down and departed from Kyrat leaving me the throne.  I held his life in my hands while he calmly awaited my judgment.  Sparing him has been my single decision after being given the power of the throne based on my feeling that revenge would not serve Kyra.  Know that I will make no more decisions regarding my continued possession or the passing of  the the throne of Kyrat to someone deemed more worthy without first seeking full advice and counsel of the Tarun Matara.

So?  You fought long and hard against Min and yet I find you here in what should be a time of joy murdering Amita's followers as traitors.  These good warriors who also fought full measure against Min every bit as hard as you?

I refuse to use the word "brother" that you enjoyed splashing me with to gain my cooperation in asking you if this is the best of your efforts?  Do you think that this is a circus?  Some fitting amusement for the entertainment of the young goddess?  Have you even bothered to ask her how you should proceed in this nasty business?  Right now Sabal you and your followers in the eyes of Kyra are nothing more that a rock that has been blocking open a temple door without a single clue of what's inside simply so that the true followers of Kyra could step past you to enter.  You a mere doorstop seek to make the Tarun Matara your puppet?  Even if it requires uprooting Kyrat's mountains and filling the valleys with the rubble I will not allow that obscenity.

I have witnessed that even in youth she is wise beyond understanding and that it has been her promptings as well as the hand of Kyra that brought me... Brought us, to this moment, here and now.  Keeping or leaving the throne is of little difference to me beyond the need for the right person to fill it.  In this moment I see far more need for a protector companion for the Tarun Matara."

(The tiger looks up quizzically and gets an affectionate head rub from a hand morphing to that of Kalinag's)

Speaking to the tiger "Yes, protector companion.  Even as you welcomed Kalinag, walked with him and fought at his side in a time of great need.  You both acted freely and yet moved as one in purpose."

Turning back to Sabal  "If it's required I will abandon all to become the protector of the Tarun Matara.  That is if she'll allow me to serve her in that capacity.

From this time forward Bhadra; And Yes! She has a name Sabal.  Outside of the small box of your limited comprehension that you are trying to force her to be confined in, she is not a thing to possess.  That is the same shameful mistake my father Mohan made and it will not be repeated.  She is a caring feeling young woman who needs to find her own footing and time to blossom and must not be forced to take another single footstep that is not of her own will nor forced make any choice between distasteful options that are outside of her choosing.

If she is not allowed the freedom to come into her full potential Kyrat will never heal.  It and its people will continue to wither in its current bondage as your own insane behavior exhibits.  If you are unable to set aside your ambitions to be able to see that truth I will take no pleasure in putting you down by my own hand and be the one to light your funeral pyre.

So Sabal.  The decision is yours.  I'll let you pick your path but know that you are under the watchful gaze of the Tarun Matara and that she is weighing and sifting your soul like grains of sand through her fingers.  Understand that she is more gentle and inclined towards mercy than I am so you need to keep in mind that instead of pissing me off it would be a lot healthier for you and your faction to spend your time praying to Kyra for her guidance in overcoming your warped ambition and that the Tarun Matara and I may still have some use for you."

(Sorry this is the mushy obligatory scene of triumph ~Tiger roars, the ground shakes, anyone except Ajay still standing one falls on their faces.  Kalinag fades out until it's just Ajay who extends his hand to Bhadra and and she rises and comes to him accepting it.  Cue sunset, happily singing birds and a rainbow.  ::)

- OK, OK.  I know.  That's way too long of a cut scene and far too smarmy for most gamers.  I just have too big of a soft of a spot for sappy happy endings.  :angel:

- mandru

Art Blade

in case you should ever wonder what to do with your spare/thinking time, I suggest you consider becoming an author as in a novel writer.  :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳