How to series: Dogon Village - Sniper Guide

Started by Art Blade, April 27, 2009, 12:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

[smg id=193 align=center]
Bowa: Dogon Village

This is for those players who have problems with Dogon Village. The pictures may help identify locations and the main threat: a mortar.

Bluntly put: I hated Dogon. There is no mission called "Dogon Village", yet there are a couple of missions that either lead you to or or make you think about passing through it. Or whenever you feel like it...

The main problem is the sniper guy with a mortar. The merc sits on a flat roof, which is surrounded by a small wall, making him really hard to find. To make things worse, the house is covered by a big tree about in the centre of the village. As long as you approach from the south, and always if you are on low grounds, you can hardly see him. The first thing you want to do is identify the mortar guy and take him out first, else he will take you out. Once you notice the characteristic sound of a mortar, the whistling sound of its marking round, the yellow smoke... "run, Forest, RUN!"

[smg id=196 align=center]
The house of the mortar guy is on the tip of my rifle (left of it).

There may be different ways to get the job done, here is one: Climb as high as possible and take him out with a sniper rifle, preferably a Dart Rifle (so the other mercs won't immediately start after you)

[smg id=194 align=center]
my location on on the map is to the right, on high grounds.

The house is what you're looking for, the merc sits on top and crouches most of the time. What I noticed only recently is, the house is darker than the rest of the houses. If you look at it from the south, you'll notice three windows in line, that may help identify it.

[smg id=195 align=center]
That's the house. Note it's darker than the others.
Characteristic are those three windows above the door.

You don't need to be where I am, just try to find the mortar first and take him out. I hope that you'll have less difficulty in taking him out, now :)

Enjoy ;)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Excellent w@&k Art - I agree about the mortar mercs - the first thing to do is take them out else you'll continually try to dodge the whistling.  The other one is the small island northwest of the brewery - that one is a pain during daylight hours.

Art Blade

Thanks and welcome :)

And:

I want to thank JRD who told me how to take screen caps during a weapon switch. The picture of Dogon Village was taken that way.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

I just did the mission where you have to meet Rueben at the airport and was unpleastantly surprised to find the one rocket launcher guy now had a mortar. Took out my grenade truck the S.O.B. luckily there's one there for the taking once everyone was dead.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

I'm about to do that mish now, so thanks for the warning  :-X

PZ

Art, this is a great guideline and you might consider having it and the tips like this posted in the Articles section.  Because the topic list is becoming large, cool things (like any other topic) might become buried and may escape notice so having a full-blown article might not be a bad idea.  This is just a suggestion of course, you should still post in any way that you prefer.

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳