Far Cry 3 details.

Started by Diwas Amatya, February 13, 2012, 04:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diwas Amatya

I don't post here much often, but I do lurk around quite a bit. Some of you know me I think, anyways here is a site that has released a few details about Far Cry 3.
http://gamingeverything.com/15192/tons-of-new-far-cry-3-details/

JRD

Outstanding news nepdyse. And yes, your name does ring a bell even though this is only your fourth post!

Thanks a lot for that link!!  :-X

I'd like to highlight some key points in that article!

Quote- Open-ended combat
- Freedom is tied to the story
- Players will have to contend with native fauna and domesticated animals
- Ubisoft is making the game with a "360 degree" design approach
- Each scenario will contain "stealthy, action-focused and creative approaches"
- There was one tester who found a hang-glider and approached the radio tower this way, which allowed him to avoid battle
- Game designer Andrea Zanni: "We have land animals and sea animals. They'll be there as threats, they'll be there for you to utilize – you can go out into the jungle and go hunting, which is all part of Jason growing and surviving on the island. If you go deep into the jungle, you're going to have some encounters that may not be so pleasant. So they're a part of the ecology of the island, and really making the island this savage place for the player."
Open-world designer Jamie Keen: "It's about making sure that the player is constantly feeling enabled by what you can do in the world and enabled by the world itself. You feel like the world' inviting you to make you feel like you constantly want to move through it, constantly want to know more about what's going on there. Recently, we put a mineshaft just on the way down to a lighthouse. And players heading to the lighthouse see it, and everyone just goes, 'Oh look, a mineshaft!' and they have to explore. We want to constantly surprise people [with] how much they're going to find when they do go exploring and follow their nose."
- No weapon degradation

Now I just wonder what they mean by "- Freedom is tied to the story"  ???? ... It might be that depending on the mission or how deep into the game you are, your options can/will be reduced. Like when doing that mission on a cave, there's no shooting, just platforming. Besides that, they do use the word freedom a lot in this article and it seems they are really putting an effort to make players explore the island!

Oh boy, this sure seems like a Far Cry game! OhBoyOhBoyOhBoyOhBoyOhBoyOhBoyOhBoyOhBoy  >:D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Dweller_Benthos

Let's just hope it lives up to the pre-release hype. Remember Rage was supposed to be so cool?
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Diwas Amatya

"Players will have to contend with native fauna and domesticated animals."

Can't wait get into an all out fist fight with a silver-back gorilla lol. Anways although the game looks promising from what we've see so far, I have a bad feeling that the game is going to be a lot more linear and on the rails then Far Cry 2, just to draw in the cod and bf3 masses. I just hope I'm wrong. Like I've said before FC2 got everything right, enemy spawn time and death animations aside.

PZ

Good find nephdyse  :-X

These lines concerned me:

QuoteDev. team wanted the game "to be emotional and raw". Insanity was a word that came up often in early meetings.

I personally prefer a cold, calculated approach; rarely do I enjoy "raw and emotional", and "insanity" is the complete antithesis to what I do.

... these lines are intriguing:

Quote- Each scenario will contain "stealthy, action-focused and creative approaches"  "The sand is strewn with cover for those who wan an open-air gunfight, while stealthier players can hide within the exposed hold of another beached vessel as they move towards their goal" Reinforcements arrive in hovercraft on the beach There was one tester who found a hang-glider and approached the radio tower this way, which allowed him to avoid battle

Sounds like open world speak  :-X

At the very least, FC3 should be quite interesting  ;)

You should post your thoughts more often, nephdyse - sounds like you fit right into our motley crew.  ;)

JRD

Quote from: nepdyse on February 13, 2012, 07:11:30 AM
Can't wait get into an all out fist fight with a silver-back gorilla lol.

:laugh:  :-X

I was thinking about me, lying on the ground, behind cover, scannig an enemy infested camp site, waiting and planning my strike when suddenly a rattle snake pops from behind a rock and jumps on my neck  :D

Another concer is the description of the mission in the cave... it says "no shooting in this mission. Platforming/exploration instead". I just hope they don't get it wrong and I find myself stuck on a mission because there's a tricky jump that requires 14 fingers to be accomplished.  :-(

PZ

Quote from: JRD on February 13, 2012, 10:44:47 AM
... it says "no shooting in this mission. Platforming/exploration instead". I just hope they don't get it wrong and I find myself stuck on a mission because there's a tricky jump that requires 14 fingers to be accomplished.  :-(

I saw that too, and noticed another frightening phrase "...crumbling hand holds..."  maybe a timed event where you need to get it done before you fall.  ????

Some of the features sound almost like what I experienced in the Uncharted series.

JRD

Quote from: PZ on February 13, 2012, 10:53:18 AM
Some of the features sound almost like what I experienced in the Uncharted series.

Hmmmmm... quoting the article, again...

"His struggle to escape is the kind of scripted setpiece that makes up the entirety of games such as Call of Duty, and is more than a little reminiscent of a chapter of Uncharted 3"

????

PZ

Kind of reminds me of the scripted parts of the AC series, for example in ACR, the beginning parts where Ezio defends the Villa

ninzza

I was about to post these infos.

I especially like this paragraph since it confirms we still have freedom to choose our approach to each situation :"Each scenario will contain "stealthy, action-focused and creative approaches"  "The sand is strewn with cover for those who wan an open-air gunfight, while stealthier players can hide within the exposed hold of another beached vessel as they move towards their goal". Reinforcements arrive in hovercraft on the beach. There was one tester who found a hang-glider and approached the radio tower this way, which allowed him to avoid battle".

Reinforcements arrive ? Wow that's cool  :-X

PZ

Quote from: ninzza on February 13, 2012, 01:23:19 PM
... Reinforcements arrive in hovercraft on the beach. ...

Assassin recruits  ???? ::) :angel:

Binnatics

I like raw, emotional insanity >:D >:D >:D

They seem to focus on the 'personal degeneration' in warfare, instead of political. That can go to many sides, but as the crew did a good job in FC2, I bet they will do a nice job on this one ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

mandru

Nice find nepdyse.  Thanks for posting.  :-X

Uhh... Did you say reinforcements?  Would you really call the cavalry that rides in to save the day against you reinforcements?  ???  I can think of a whole lot of derogatory terms that would fit my mood under those conditions at a time like that other than having to resort to calling them reinforcements.

Usable flora and fauna?  Some of the Doc's special mushrooms might be a nice surprise addition to a pot of stew being cooked up for enemy soldiers on bivouac or maybe we'll be able to arrange some creative combinations of poisonous snakes and either bed rolls or outhouses.   >:D

As PZ mentioned, I too am hopeful that any linearity is held to an absolute minimum.

Quote from: Binnatics on February 13, 2012, 03:57:02 PM
I like raw, emotional insanity >:D >:D >:D

Yeah Binn, I can agree with that as long as it is my self generated raw emotional insanity.   :laugh:
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Binnatics

"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

fragger

Quote from: PZ on February 13, 2012, 10:53:18 AM
I saw that too, and noticed another frightening phrase "...crumbling hand holds..."  maybe a timed event where you need to get it done before you fall.  ????

Yeah, that sounds alarmingly Croftian :-\\

Diwas Amatya

http://gamingeverything.com/15247/new-far-cry-3-scans/

Here are some scans, you can also read more about the game if you zoom in a little. Looks like there's going to be Pit Bulls in the game lol. I don't think I could ever bring my self to kill a dog fictional/virtual or otherwise haha. And our Protagonist needs to trim his nose hair for godssake, oh wait he's stranded on an island.

"Unlike a corridor shooter, you can sneak, snipe, rampage through or even by-pass these battles."
Thank you Ubisoft, you can now have my wallet.

mandru

Good stuff nepdyse.   8)

I really am looking forward to getting dug into FC3 when it comes out.   >:D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Quote from: nepdyse on February 13, 2012, 09:22:42 PM
... And our Protagonist needs to trim his nose hair for godssake, oh wait he's stranded on an island.

:laugh: :-X

spaceboy

those snippets sound VERY promising.  Thanks for the info! 
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

Why is it I get more fun out of nepdyse's witty comments  ( slap on the back, matey ^-^ :-X ) than I anticipate of FC3..

"Croftian" is about what I thought when reading about "crumbling handholds" ???  and what nearly gave me a cardiac arrest was a "no shooting" bit -- just WTF?!!  >:((
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

ninzza

Thanks nepsyde for those scans.  :-X

FC3 looks very promising, so much better than FC2 in terms of scale and gameplay and setting. Africa is good but I like tropical island better.

spaceboy

well think of it this way, if the "no shooting" part (I haven't read the link yet) is part of some extra exploring parts in the map then why is that bad?  I'd like to think if I'm on this island I might come across a little known cave where I can explore and hide out for awhile, hopefully come across some lost treasure (diamonds) or helpful loot or weapons.  To me it isn't any different than getting up in the hills of FC2 (or scooting around the edge of the map) where there aren't any mercs.  If the map is big enough it should have a variety of stuff to do and places to explore.  Now ideally there are some explorable places like that that offer danger either in human or animal form too.

Crumbling handholds does sound Unchartedish, or even AC:R ish in some of the areas you go underground.  If not overdone, then ok.  But think, this might mean we can actually climb stuff or even jump higher than 7 inches!  This is a breakthrough for Far Cry guys!
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

it is uncool to be told how to play, in that case not to shoot -- if I was in a large basement room full of sleeping vampires (STALKER.. hehe) I want it to be entirely my decision whether or not I bloody shoot a few of those bastards even if it meant waking up hundreds of them who would kill me eventually -- at least it would have been my own stupidity and FREEDOM to do so, not a bloody dev forcing me to do what he wants me to. And I don't like reading about crumbling handholds because it implies that there is no other way which again means I'd be stripped of my freedom of choice.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

ninzza

I just read the scans of the article in Edge mag:

"It's a sliver of a later mission in which Brody has infiltrated a (this time seaborne) ship in search of a friend. The environment is more linear of course with fewer options to plan, but it's a brilliant opportunity for Ubisoft to show off an ear splitting shotgun at close quarter. And when Brody slides open the hold door, he triggers an explosive booby trap, flooding the ship. His struggle to escape is the kind of scripted setpiece that make up the entiety of games such as Call of Duty, and is more than a little reminiscent of a chapter in Uncharted 3."

I'm fine with setpieces like this as long as they dont happen every 5 minute.

Art Blade

let alone ALL the time  :-()

Tags:
🡱 🡳