Farcry 3

Started by Phil-318, June 05, 2009, 02:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaceboy

thanks for the info Red!  of course it'll be a must buy.  Personally 2012 works for me, lots of games I'm looking forward to are coming out in the second half of 2011.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

fragger

mmosu

I'm watching with cautious excitement  ;)

RedRaven

Sadly some of the best games take longest to come out, Shadow of Chernobyl was about 4-5 years later than planned!

Cautious excitement sounds like the way to go.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

JRD

Let the devs at UBI thake their time to read through OWG before planning the next installment, guys... it won't hurt'em  ;D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

fragger

Absolutely, let them learn from the experts ;D

PZ

Thanks for the update, Red - I'm still playing FC2, and can't wait for a new installment.

Interestingly, in my initial play of the game a couple of years ago, nothing else interested me.  Then I lost interest as new games popped up, which were all quite good, but never had the "magic" that FC2 held.  Now I'm playing again, and have become completely immersed again.

fragger

I know just what you mean PZ, I keep coming back to FC2. I've been obsessed with Portal 2 these last few days and I know I'll play it at least a couple more times, but that obsession will wear off and I'll be back in Africa again.

FC2 is still my long-term no.1 :-X

JRD

I'm afraid no other game - not even FarCry 3 - will ever beat the great effect FC2 had in our gaming experiences.

Each one of us at each corner of the world got connected by the same atmosphere created by FC2... when I fire it every now and then just to hear the music and watch a vitual sunset I can almost smell the game.

They better do a good job on FC3!!
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

RedRaven

FC2 and SoC have made the biggest impact on my gaming life, prior to that it was Elite on the Amiga 1200 about 20 years ago!

Quote from: JRD on April 23, 2011, 10:38:49 AM
They better do a good job on FC3!!

I hear that JRD.

If its not will have to get my trusty Mercedes Utility truck, AS50, Dragunov and a plentiful supply of molotov's and wage my own one man war on Ubisoft ;)
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

Quote from: RedRaven on April 23, 2011, 08:30:33 AMApologies if its already been mentioned elsewhere in OWG, but thought you would all like to know ;)

no need to apologise mate, we're not the kind of people who condemn someone for sharing infos when they were already known. To the contrary, we appreciate any info or shared thoughts and posts :) So, thanks  ;D :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

The Assassin's Creed series holds true to the story line, and gets better with each successive iteration.  One can only hope for the same with FC2, but I doubt it - FC1 was quite different from FC2, so it is likely that an FC3 would be different again.  A shame really, because I dearly love everything about FC2.

While I return to old favorites like AC2, JC2, and the fallout series, none really compare to FC2 - it truly is one of a kind, and I'm really glad I stumbled upon it.

RedRaven

When Ubisoft announced they would be doing FC3 it was also confirmed that it will stay in Africa, but that doesn't really mean much as it is a very diverse continent.

Wonder if they will include any of the current problems that have been going on in the north ? Highly doubt it, though it would be a bold move on their part. Specially considering the 'Blood Diamond' context in FC2 which is still very political. If they do it could help pave the way for more realistic based gaming environments aimed at mature players who want more than the run-of-the-mill 5-6 hour run & gun fest some of the more popular games stick to.

We will just have to wait and see.....

mmosu

Quote from: RedRaven on April 25, 2011, 01:30:25 AM
If they do it could help pave the way for more realistic based gaming environments aimed at mature players who want more than the run-of-the-mill 5-6 hour run & gun fest some of the more popular games stick to.

I don't know . . . those 5 hour adrenaline shots seem to sell millions for some reason.  No matter what game developers want to do, at the end of the day they are part of a profit-motivated company that is going to cater to what (they perceive) the masses want.  Unfortunately, what Joe Gamer seems to want is often not inline with what the average OWG member wants  >:((

PZ

Quote from: mmosu on April 25, 2011, 11:27:10 AM
...  Unfortunately, what Joe Gamer seems to want is often not inline with what the average OWG member wants  >:((
I agree 100%, and that's why I fear for the worst  :-\\ 

Particularly because there were so many that were speaking badly about the game from it's inception.  ????

Understandably, the profit is why the games are developed in the first place, and it is a shame that there are not more gamers like the membership at OWG; I can only imagine the kinds of games that would result.  :-X

mmosu

Those 5-6 hours FPS experiences that play like a big-budget Holywood blockbuster have their place, but I can only play a game so long where I have to use one hand to hang on to my seat!  Plus, we've said it a million and one times around here, but once you play a game like that once that's it - no more surprises, no more shock and awe - just big set pieces that do the same thing every time.  So predictable, so boring, so unlike FC2!
But that brings up another interesting problem for a developer - it's hard to crank out the next 5-6 hour installment in the series every 8 months when you're designing games that play differently each time.  Personally, I prefer the more low-key approach of FC2 for one reason alone - it's more realistic.  Real mercenaries don't go in the front door with guns blazing like the last action hero - they scout, they scheme, they plan, and then they lie, cheat, deceive and play dirty to get the job done.  That's what real war is like, it's ugly.  Unfortunately, most game developers don't have the cajones to make a game like FC2 for a host of reasons, and I'm skeptical Ubi has the ability to capture that magic twice.  I think one of Art's favorite phrases may be applicable here:  "Wait and see . . . "  Thanks Dad!  ::)

:-() :-X   

PZ

I agree completely  :-X

I was playing FC2 yesterday, and was on a mission to the junkyard.  I went through a hole in the metal fence right into a concrete culvert leading to the interior of a bus.  It took a while, but I managed to duck the bullets and grenades bu careful movement, all the while taking out a merc or two per unit time.  The patience required to do the job right is something that the typical run and gun gamers do not possess, but is something that I hold dear.

RedRaven

I loved the variety of approaches you could take on any given mission. My first game was all about getting the job done, second and third time went for an almost 'Bush-Ninja' style keeping to 100% accuracy, not many games let you track your accuracy let alone play as the ultimate sneaky sniper.

Can feel another play-through urge welling up from deep within.

Ricamundo

STALKER 2 due 01/01/2012 and FC3 around the same time. Wow, just wow!!!!!! Im still playing hour after hour of SoC. This game is effing huge! I keep thinking.."oh this must be the final level,"  but no, i keep getting another mish to yet another map. 8) Incredible game! To have 3 amazingly immersive games like STALKER and another coming in a few months, and now hearing that the best shooter ever made is spawning a sequel? Fantastic! :-X :-X :-X
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

RedRaven

Quote from: Ricamundo on April 26, 2011, 03:32:27 AM
STALKER 2 due 01/01/2012 and FC3 around the same time.

Sounds like the perfect new years gift, lets hope they can stick to it!

PZ

Here's another short blurb on Far Cry 3 - as usual, nothing convincing.

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2011/01/11/ubisoft-quiet-on-far-cry-3-rumors/

Tags:
🡱 🡳