Far Cry 3 announced 2012

Started by eor123, June 06, 2011, 05:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

which probably means, "no more invisible walls"  :) :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mmosu

Therein is the genius of putting it on an island - you can put the invisible walls miles out into the ocean where the player will never encounter them.

PZ

I noticed that part as well - the invisible walls are not appreciated in FC2.  Particularly because sometimes it is difficult crossing a small rock while in other instances a programmed path will allow you to scale what should be an insurmountable obstacle.

JRD

I didn`t see the dev`s interview but is it set, then? A tropical island somewhere not in Africa? We won`t see savannah, desert or anything different from a jungle?

No complaints, no complaints.... just asking  ::)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

it appears to be so, JRD, jungle on an island, just like FC1.

Let's just hope there won't be any monsters, mutants, aliens or insurance agents.  :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Everything so far seems to be a sequel to FC2, even the sound when he picks up the machete or switch weapons... oh, and the sliding also.

As for insurance agents, I`d like to have some to drill their skulls with an AS50 round... oh, wait... err... aren`t you... ???? .... no offense mate...  ;D

mmosu

"Just jungle" deserves some qualification too - the guy in the interview made a point to mention the great lengths they are going to so as not to make the jungle boring, but rather always have something interesting to look at in your view - something that makes you say "I wonder what's over there", and then want to go explore it. 

Art Blade

yeah, stuff all across the map, everything alive.. big adventure  :) :-X

JRD, no, I don't sell anything  :)

ninzza

HD version of the demo:

4. Far Cry 3 - Ubisoft E3 2011 Press Conference HD 1080p

Things I like:

- The tropical setting
- Radar showing positions of the mercs.
- Stealthkills
- Weapons customization

Thing I dislike:

- The XP op ups eevry time you shhot the enemies.
- Weapon and ammo indicator too big (though it only show up when the player change weapons or shoot)
- No more syrettes

PZ

Just had to watch it again - the game is going to be amazing  :-X  Things I like:

• The old metal building appearance like in FC2
  • Ability to take the mercs knife and do him in with it
  • Ability to throw the knife
  • In one scene a merc threw a body into the water - it is seen while you are submerged in the water
  • Water dripping from the roof of the cave, and the high level of underwater detail
  • The high level of detail of the people
One thing I'll miss are the deserts and savanna of FC2 - was driving through the desert of southwest Bowa this morning, and thought about FC3 as the wind and sand blew through my hair. ""

ninzza

Quote from: PZ on June 09, 2011, 12:06:54 PM
Just had to watch it again - the game is going to be amazing  :-X  Things I like:

• The old metal building appearance like in FC2
  • Ability to take the mercs knife and do him in with it
  • Ability to throw the knife
  • In one scene a merc threw a body into the water - it is seen while you are submerged in the water
  • Water dripping from the roof of the cave, and the high level of underwater detail
  • The high level of detail of the people
One thing I'll miss are the deserts and savanna of FC2 - was driving through the desert of southwest Bowa this morning, and thought about FC3 as the wind and sand blew through my hair. ""

Yes, I like those things too :)

While I'm fine with the tropical island setting, I still prefer the Africa setting since it's more varied: savannah, deset, jungle. Now this tropical island has only jungle. But the water in FC3 is really nice :)
Swimming in FC3 will be much more enjoyable than in FC2. I hope there will be some sharks  ;D

There are some things I'm concerned about:

- Is there fire propagation in FC3 ?
- Any mutants ? I hope there arent any.
- Day and night cycle, dynamic weather ?

ninzza

ninzza

FC3 Preview:

www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/06/farcry-3-preview

"We wanted to make sure we were giving the player the ability to turn on the action when they want to turn on the action," says Hay. "Making sure that the AI isn't always hammering you with bullets."

"(...) exploration will be a big part of the experience. "You're walking along, you're on a mission – maybe you're in a truck, bombing along pretty quick. There's always something just off the edge of the map – 'what is that?' You stop, you get out, you explore. Exploration is key to us."

mmosu

"The buddies too, will return, albeit in changed form."

Wonder what that means . . .  ????
Good find ninzza  :-X

Art Blade

Quote from: mmosu on June 09, 2011, 08:19:24 PM"The buddies too, will return, albeit in changed form." Wonder what that means

To change form, also known as form shifting, is the physical ability to take on a different appearance mimicking another life form, sometimes involving consumption of the body to adapt the form of which.

OK, I made this up.  :-()

PZ

^+-+ @Art

Echo - good find ninzza - I sure do wish we had access to the game that guy in the video was obviously playing.

nexor

Got this from Ubi FC3 forum
Spoiler
Developer:
Ubisoft Montreal with Ubisoft Shanghai and Ubisoft Massive

Release date:
TBA 2012

Platforms:
PC, PS3, Xbox 360

Genre:
Modern First-Person shooter

Environment:
Open world/Sandbox

Game Engine:
Dunia

Press Release: LOS ANGELES- JUNE 6, 2011 -Today, during a press conference at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), Ubisoft announced the development of Far Cry 3, marking the return of the highly-acclaimed video game franchise. Development on Far Cry 3 is led by Ubisoft Montreal with the support of Ubisoft Shanghai and Massive Entertainment. Far Cry 3 will be available for the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, the Sony PlayStation3 computer entertainment system and Windows PC in 2012.

With Far Cry 3, players step into the shoes of Jason Brody, a man alone at the edge of the world, stranded on a mysterious tropical island. In this savage paradise where lawlessness and violence are the only sure thing, players dictate how the story unfolds, from the battles they choose to fight to the allies or enemies they make along the way. As Jason Brody, players will slash, sneak, detonate and shoot their way across the island in a world that has lost all sense of right and wrong.

"Far Cry 3 brings something new and unexpected, while still building upon the foundations of excellence that are inherent to the Far Cry brand," said Dan Hay, producer at Ubisoft Montreal. "Whether you're already a fan of the Far Cry series or jumping into the franchise for the very first time, you're going to be blown away by the gritty story and epic adventure we're going to deliver."

You'll need more than luck to survive.

Story mode

Playable Character:
Jason Brody

NPC:
Vaas (Boss?)

Health:
Regenerates
No health bar
Damage marker (blood on screen)
Visual impairment (low health)
Self-heal

Weapons:
Ak-47
Silenced Pistol (Makarov?)
.45 Pistol
Machete
Knife
Dragonov
Frag Grenade
Flamethrower
RPG

HUD:
Mini map
Crouch indicator
Stealth/Alert indicator
Grenade count
Active Weapon indicator
Available ammo (primary)

Stealth/Alert indicator:
None - Complete stealth
White - AI alerted, not engaged
Red - AI alerted, engaged

Loadout:
One primary weapon
One secondary weapon
Melee weapon
Grenades

Special moves:
Stealth melee (behind,above)
Slide
Throw knife
Fire from zipline
Fire from cover
Swimming

Equipment:
Camera
Zipline

Vehicles:
4x4 4-door
Blackhawk Helicopter
Hang Glider

Rewards/Pickups:
XP for kills (varies)
Loot items (ivory)
SD card
Weapons
Ammo

Multiplayer
Coming Soon

Map Editor
Coming soon

Will Far Cry 3 be in Africa again?
No. FC3 is located on a remote island, located approximately where the Indian and Pacific oceans meet.

What about traveling? Will we have to drive extensively like Far Cry 2?
Fast travel has been confirmed, so accessing different areas should be easier than Far Cry 2.

Will there be a map editor?
There is no official confirmation yet. However, previous versions of Far Cry have included map editors on all platforms. As this is the same game engine(Dunia) as Far Cry 2, no additional development time would be required to include the map editor in Far Cry 3.

What about about animals, monsters, or aliens?
Animals have been confirmed, although no specifics yet. No monsters or aliens.

Will weapons degrade like Far Cry 2?
No, it's being reported that weapon degradation is gone

Art Blade

Sounds like a perfect game environment and everything I need is included. Nice  :) :-X

mmosu

JRD

These are great news...
One environment  :-X
No aliens / monsters  :-X
Fast travel through distant areas  :-X
Stealth  :-X
Black hawk    :-X >:D
One primary weapon, one secondary, one melee and grenades - a smaller loadout - Weapons mentioned are too few and so far nothing special, besides no mention on customization  :-(
No mention on molotovs No mention on spreading fire although since it uses the same engine, who knows?  ????

mmosu

In FC2 there was specific mention (during the taxi ride to Pala) that our arrival coincides with the dry season, which nicely put all of the fire propogation into context.  A lush, thick jungle can catch on fire, but it's much less likely to happen there then in a parched savannah.  If there's going to be a flamethrower though, then I would think they would keep the fire the way it was, especially since it wouldn't take much effort on their part given that they're using the same engine.  Plus, playing with fire is another fan favorite item, and a lot of those seem to be making the cut  :-X

fragger

I hope you guys are right about the fire. That's such a cool feature of FC2.

Interesting snippet of news about the game taking place on an island "where the Indian and Pacific Oceans meet" which suggests somewhere like Indonesia or the Philippines.

Cool - a bit closer to home for me :-()

No monsters or aliens is a definite go :-X The smaller loadout may be a bit more realistic and might make things more challenging. It seems gone are the days where a player carried an entire arsenal on his back (Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem et al) and I'm kind of glad to see the end of them.

We have a lot of time to speculate, and here's hoping FC3 lives up to our speculations 8)

JRD

I really would like to be able to choose what to carry with me. In FC2 we are stuck with the definition of primary, secondary and special created by the game. It is impossible to have a sniper AND an assault rifle unless you carry the dart rifle in which case you are left with no special weapons such as the SAW or PKM... I`m ok with less gubns to carry but I also would like to have more options, in that list they mention too few weapons but I`m guessing it`s just a preliminary lists of SOME guns that will be available, not ALL weapons available

fragger

Hope so. One of the things I love about FC2 is the large number of weapons to play with and try out. In fact I still haven't explored the full depth of the weapon combos in that yet, even after two years.

JRD

I tried all weapons in FC2 and a few combinations ranging from maximum devastation power to stealth and something in between. After a few try-outs I stuck with two combinations and these are the ones I use all the time.
- Dragunov/GL-79/SAW
- MGL-140/UZI/Dart
I have explosive power against ATs and bundles of mercs, firepower for any occasion and sniping capabilities to smooth out an area. That`s all I need.

Every thing else feels too underpowered to me - I admit the 6P9 is a cool gun though  ;)

Thing now is: give us enough guns plus customization and ammo options >:D

Tags:
🡱 🡳