How fast can you play the game?

Started by Dweller_Benthos, June 07, 2010, 12:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

I guess for me it depends on the game.  I'm FPS all the way with how FC2 plays, but in RDR, I couldn't imagine playing in first person view.  For instance, I can be riding down a trail and a bear, cougar, snake, wolf, etc. will sometimes try to sneak in to attack my horse, and then eventually me.  I'd not be able to see them at all in first person view, but third allows me to adequately plan their demise.  ;D

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Hehehe... the endless discussion of 3rd vs 1st person views.

Any other site would end up having an arguing as how stupid you are not to like 3rd person or your mother must have brought you to life through the wrong hole to like 1st person view you dumb@ss[/i]...  ;D ;D I`m glad it`s OWG after all!

Actually I never thought about the peripheral vision, I just like to see my character, that`s all! Specially when it is a nice model like in AC2. I love Arma 2 for allowing me to see my character in 3rd person view and yet, when pressing and holding MB2, I can go to scope vision!. I`m playing OFP1 now and the model is so blocky I usually play on 1st person view, except for driving vehicles, which is much better in 3rd view.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

The peripheral vision is better and indeed watching oneself is entertaining, especially when you can change your outfit.. that's why I sometimes play as a female character  :-[ , like in FO3, Oblivion, Mass Effect, because I rather watch a beautiful woman than a bulky bloke when in 3rd person  ;D Especially FO3 had loads of good-looking clothes to dress your female character, while in games like Oblivion, armour looked better on male characters.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Ricamundo

The difference to me, anyway, is i consider first person "active". I am the player in the game, and third person is "passive". My character is playing the game. I don't know if that makes any sense, but there you go. ;)

I do use third person occasionally in FO3, when im trying on a new hat. It's also handy, as i said a while back, to see if your new set of armour makes your a$$ look fat. ;D

Really, even in my racing games, i drive using the hood, or bumper cam, never the heli cam, which would be the equivalent of third person i guess.
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

Art Blade

Oh yes.. I hate racing (or flying, for that matter) in third person. I want to be the active part of it, too :) What you say is kind of "observe some character play" or actually "play it yourself" sort of feeling, like watching a flick about some hero or being the hero yourself. I can relate, mate  ;D

PZ

Quote from: Ricamundo on June 22, 2010, 03:52:19 AM
The difference to me, anyway, is i consider first person "active". I am the player in the game, and third person is "passive". My character is playing the game. I don't know if that makes any sense, but there you go. ;)
Makes sense to me  :-X
Quote from: Ricamundo on June 22, 2010, 03:52:19 AM
I do use third person occasionally in FO3, when im trying on a new hat. It's also handy, as i said a while back, to see if your new set of armour makes your a$$ look fat. ;D
lol  ;D

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, that's the other situation I use third person for, driving/riding like in Call Of Juarez 2, I did the horse riding in third person, or was that even an option? Forget now. Anyway, games like Driver 3 I did in third for driving, first for walking. I just never liked how guns shoot while doing third person, you just have guess where the bullets are going to land? First gives me a more precise control of my shooting. Though I can see where it would be a plus to be able to zoom out to third for a quick glance around the area without having to move, but that sorta seems like cheating....
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

I wouldn't call that cheating but enhancing your abilities as in getting closer to reality. Your real life vision (including peripheral) is like 180° and the slightes move of your head widens the vision even more, while in FPS all you see is straight ahead at usually 90°.

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, but most FPS games have a setting where you can change the FOV, lots of players do it for online PvP because it gives you a wider range of view. I've tried it and it looks funny to me, so I don't use it. The thing I object to in 3rd person is that you can usually swing the camera around 360° to see all around you, and into areas you couldn't see if you were actually standing in that spot for real.
D_B

Art Blade

you are right about "looking around corners" with the camera only, without revealing yourself. Or looking over walls etc. :) Regarding FOV, when I played online I changed from 90 to 120 degrees, it did look "funny" but it gave you a slight advantage.

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, most all the people who play online tournaments do that, it's pretty much accepted.

Back to how fast you can play the game - I'm now using the trainer to teleport back to Pala when a mission is done, saves a boat load of time even over fast run. I saved a teleport point right near the bus terminal so that when I finish a mission, I just teleport back and grab the next mission. Just gotta be careful to save first, the teleport likes to rematerialize you underground, so I try to "beam out" from the highest point I can find to counteract that. Makes doing buddy missions a breeze, you don't have all that travel time getting back to the bar to get the mission done after you talk to the buddy who gave you the mission.

I've also been lucky so far with the predecessor tapes, the ones I've selected have coincided with the current mission I'm doing, so no extra running for those either.

I'm up to 5 hours now, so it looks like I might be able to get done in under 20 hours hopefully, I just really need to stop messing with the mercs and just run past them, I tend to spend time blowing too much stuff up all the time. Using the crossbow and M79 is a big temptation.
D_B

Art Blade

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on June 24, 2010, 12:53:42 PMI just really need to stop messing with the mercs and just run past them, I tend to spend time blowing too much stuff up all the time.

Wouldn't we all  ;D ;D ;D :-X

Dweller_Benthos

Well, just over 6 hours and I'm in the south, so I'm making good time. The thing that eats time is diamond hunting, no matter what you do, you still have to run all over the map. In the south, I think I'll do diamond hunts and other missions at the same time instead of getting all the diamonds first. That and judicious use of the teleport may get me in under 15 hours.
D_B

Art Blade

I hope that you still enjoy the game, mate  ;D

fragger

6 hours or so to get from north to south is pretty impressive :-X

PZ

Indeed - it usually takes me more than 6 hours to free up all my buddies in the north  ;D

Dweller_Benthos

Just over 10.5 hours and I'm in the south, doing buddy & cell tower missions, need to free up those two buddies being held hostage, then take on the faction missions. Again, getting all the dang diamonds is what takes the longest.
D_B

PZ

I agree - I never did have the patience to collect all those gems.  I really liked rescuing the southern buddies - was normally able to get into each of the areas and free the guy/gal without ever firing a shot or alerting any mercs.  In fact, I think it was Marty that I rescued on time after sneaking in without alerting anyone, and he said words to the effect "I suppose they're all dead; we'd better get out of here before the reinforcements arrive".

I guess he must have been having a bad dream or something.  ;D

Art Blade

Playing with mercs and their toys took most of my time  ;D

mandru

Quote from: PZ on June 28, 2010, 12:15:57 PM
I really liked rescuing the southern buddies - was normally able to get into each of the areas and free the guy/gal without ever firing a shot or alerting any mercs.  In fact, I think it was Marty that I rescued on time after sneaking in without alerting anyone, and he said words to the effect "I suppose they're all dead; we'd better get out of here before the reinforcements arrive".

Marty being in the South always strikes me as weird as in my current game that I have several save points that I keep going back over to enjoy Marty as the barge captain and all of his quirks as the southern BB.

I have absolutely no previous recollection of Marty as BB when we add the fuse to the 2000 lb bomb on the bridge over Yabek's barge and he turns to me and says "Right let's get out of here. Hold onto your nuts."

Funny enough Marty admires Yabek, thinks that Yabek is a great arms dealer ("He always comes up with the craziest gear, things like rocket pods and gravity bombs"  ** Is that a Clank and Ratchet homage? **) and is kind of sad that you've drawn the assignment to whack him but what the hell, it's what it is.

You'd think I'd remember stuff like that if I'd ever heard it before.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

I'm not entirely sure but I seem to remember the Prima guide informing us about one guy who can show up either in the North or in the South, was that Marty?

mandru

I can verify that Marty does show up in both.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

fragger

This is a tad irrelevant, but I always thought that Marty looks a lot like Charlie Sheen.

Tags:
🡱 🡳