Save Game Files Pile Up

Started by GPFontaine, March 04, 2010, 07:28:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPFontaine

Most first modern person shooters have a few save options.

Option 1: Save a named file through the game menu
Option 2: Save at a checkpoint
Option 3: Quick save a single file that will be overwritten the next time this feature is used

Far Cry  2 seems to have option 1 and option 2, but they have a very odd way of doing option 3.  They don't seem to overwrite the quick save file.  I found this out the hard way a few days ago when I located nearly 4GB of Far Cry 2 save files.  I had saved my progress nearly 1250 times and was only at 50%.

Now that I know about this I have been purging old files, but I am concerned that this may be a glitch and not how the game is supposed to function.

Is this how it works for everyone else?

spaceboy

I'm on the PS3 version but I'm pretty sure the PC guys have said the same thing - many quick save files.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

Quote from: GPFontaine on March 04, 2010, 07:28:31 AM
Most first modern person shooters have a few save options.

Option 1: Save a named file through the game menu
Option 2: Save at a checkpoint
Option 3: Quick save a single file that will be overwritten the next time this feature is used

There is also
Option 4: Hit a quicksave key that creates individual savegames
Option 5: Game menu, select savegame slot (prefab name, fixed amount)

And yes it is supposed to w@&k that way. I have a couple of GBs of savegames, too. But those are a few careers :) Just don't save every second, or delete the last 500 every now and then  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, I had tons of save games from the first play through, forget how many, but once I was done, I moved them out of the save games folder just so the game would take less time searching if I wanted to load a specific file, like the ones uploaded here that contain games at specific points or funny situations.

One thing I didn't like about Call of Juarez 2 was that it over wrote my quick saves and only kept one. Made me go back to the beginning of the level a couple times when I hit a glitch.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

JRD

You're right GPFontaine, on my first playthrough I finished the game with about 1k of savegame files. I also had the same surprise you had when I was near 50% of my second go on FC2.
What I do now is start a game and save using Esc>Save game and using an empty slot. When there are 10 save games I start overwriting the last one. It gives me enough backup files without using too much memory
Of course, sometimes the action is so intense you cannot stop and choose a slot or you'll loose your momentum in the firefight. So F5/F9 are also used when necessary. By the end of a playthrough I have around 50 files... still not much disk space used.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

Makes sense, JRD. There is only one reason why I won't do it your effective and economic way. Because I still think that there might be a time when I will be happy that I had not deleted any of the those savegames  ;D

Remember when we discovered the Goka Bridge Collapse? We were hoping to please still have a savegame exactly where we were at the exact location at the exactly right time... I had one  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

You have a good point there.
But it demands some save game management... and it sounds like (excuse my language) w@&k to me.  ;D ;D ;D
I mean, even if I did store all my save games, I would never, never, be able to find what I'm looking for without creating folders named accorded to what character in what place I was, and I certainly won't do it!!!

Art Blade

It's half bad. I only create folders that contain all savegames of one career. So I have approximately 10 folders. The game sorts them chronologically... All you need to do is transfer the content of one of those careers to the game's savegames folder. To make it easier, I only transfer (copy) like 100 savegames at a time, and if what I am looking for isn't there, I delete them and copy the next 100. A matter of a couple of minutes to find what I was looking for :)

PZ

I knew that Art would have a method of organization.  :-X

Art Blade

eor123

Apparently there is a limit of 100 SAVE's on the Xbox360 platform for FC2. I wasn't aware of this and the first time I played FC2, I made a new save at every opportunity.

I was well into the game before realizing something was wrong. I tried to revert to my last save and it kept throwing me back many hours worth of gameplay. There was no indication that the game was not being saved after I reached that limit.

I had to go in and delete almost 100 save points...not fun.  :D
"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

Art Blade

fragger

That's a nasty limitation, eor. I've never been a console player, so I don't know how they handle saves, but it sounds limited.

But then again, there's this. Since playing games like Half-Life 2 I was used to quicksaves (usually F5 on PC) overwriting the last quicksave, ie there would never be more than one, so that hitting quickload (usually F9) would load the last save straight back up. I'd thought that was the whole point of a "quicksave". Imagine my surprise whilst playing FC2 when I went to quickload a game after many quicksaves and discovered that I had over two hundred saved games, because I didn't realize that each push of F5 in FC2 was saving a whole new game! It took ages for all the saved games to load.

Now, with FC2, I prefer to continually overwrite my current game via the menu (ESC-Save Game) and only preserve other saved games for significant or specialized events.

PZ

Similar situation on the PS3 regarding a pain to delete the saved games (each delete takes several steps), but I'm not sure about limit to number of saves.

JRD

The system that overwrites the last quicksave was used in the original Ghost Recon. Whoever played that game knows that GR is, even on the lower difficult level, a one-hit death game... meaning enemies will hit you only once before you die... occasionally, if you are lucky, you get wounded and wimp the rest of the level.
Coutless times I quicksaved a game with an enemy bullet about to hit my head or chest... quickload would only give you time to hear the bullet tering your flesh over and over... lost count of how many times I had to revert to the beginning of the mission due to that.  :D
Thankfully someone with the same problem changed the system on new games!!  :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳