Help . (can't play FC2 any more)

Started by corairs, April 27, 2009, 09:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corairs

Hello i need some help the game was runing ok thin the next day i can not play it  Even on the first few loading screens, it freezes for a second or two every five to ten seconds. all the seing is on low what can i do to fix this ?  :o  :)

Edit: extended the subject so we no longer wonder what kind of help is needed. /Art

Art Blade

is it a PC then?

Maybe it has nothing to do with the game, to me it sounds like you are running a defragmentation or a full virus scan in the background. If it is nothing like that, reboot your machine. Have you altered anything, installed new programs, fiddled with the vid driver etc? Maybe install a new vid driver, or stop antivirus programs, something like that. Too many possible reasons for a remote diagnose matey... maybe try loading an older save game (see if that works... if so, then your latest save had been screwed up) good luck.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

corairs

1 i tryed runing it with out antivirus programs stell doe's
2 I reboo my computer it stell doe's it
3 i heve not altered athing
4 I installed COD3 and 4 but i uninstalled it and it stell doe's it
5 I reinsalled the game and it stell doe's it
6 I  loading an older save game it dede not help
7 I put the new video driver i just befor i got the game
8 i scan for virus no virus  :(  :)

Ricamundo

Hmm, so one day FC2 runs ok, and the next it freezes up? Something has changed, but what?

You could take a look at your fans, and make sure they are not blocked with dust, or too close to a wall, and causing your PC to overheat.

try running a disk cleanup and defrag. if you have been installing and uninstalling other programs, your HD is not going to run efficiently.

Press cntl/alt/del and see what's running in the background. Sometimes, there stuff running, like MSN/ICQ or whatever that using a klot of memory.

Try installing and running Spybot Search and Destroy. its a handy little proggy that will clean up adware, spyware and tracking cookies, etc that can clutter up your system.

Re Spybot, before you run it, go into settings and put a checkmark in the "Ignore Cookies" box next to any websites where you are registered, like this one, or you will lose your auto logins.
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

Dweller_Benthos

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is another good one to use for scans.

Other than that, see the above about your fans, be sure everything is running and dust free.

CTRL+SHIFT+ESC will also bring up the task manager, look in the CPU usage column on the Processes tab to see what, if anything, is using the CPU. With nothing running the only thing using the CPU should be the System Idle Process. If something else is using a lot of the CPU then find out what it is and why it's running.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

DKM2

Are you are running Vista64?
If so I always seem to have trouble with games if I don't reboot before playing them.
After a reboot I can play all day without probs, something about sitting idle for a while.
"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power..."

PZ

As a last resort, you can do a system restore to an earlier point where the game worked (if you have system restore running that is).

corairs

1 i run Win XP s.p.2
2  system restore was tuned off
3 my are runing ok
4 I  defrag my HD
5tuned off all thing inthe background
6i cleaned up all adware, spyware and tracking cookies

I stell can not play Far cry 2 but Cod.waw run's ok ?  :(  :)

Ricamundo

Wow, that is a puzzle. All I can suggest is try uninstall reinstall, and start over. Not a great answer I know, but it's all i can suggest now, sry. :-\
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

Fiach

Couple of suggestions if I may.

1. Did you uninstall the old video driver, then start the PC in safe mode to install the new driver? If so thats correct.

2. Maybe you have a pixel shader problem with your card, right click My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager > Display Adapter, see if there are any problems there, you could also try to re-seat the card, see if that helps.

Out of ideas after that .
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Art Blade

he already tried an un- and re-installation.

The best thing you can actually do right now is re-install windows.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: corairs on April 27, 2009, 09:22:16 PM
Hello i need some help the game was runing ok thin the next day i can not play it  Even on the first few loading screens, it freezes for a second or two every five to ten seconds. all the seing is on low what can i do to fix this ?  :o :)

Have you tried bringing up the task manager while the game is running to see which processes are consuming cpu cycles?  You can at least see if another process is consuming too much cpu time.  From closely reading the symptom you described, it sounds like the game is actually running, but that it halts periodically, then resumes in repeating cycles - am I correct in this assumption?

Also, it sounds like the problem occurred after you installed COD - correct?  If so, there may have been a registry change performed by that installer regarding the use of directx or the video driver, in which case you might contact the COD people and ask how to perform a complete uninstall so that your registry entries are restored (unlikely to happen though).  The other thing you could do is reinstall directx and your video drivers in the hopes that it will fix the registry problem.

Sometimes in these instances I'm afraid that Art may be correct - an OS reinstall will be the quickest fix.

Fiach

Quote from: Art Blade on April 30, 2009, 07:46:57 AM
he already tried an un- and re-installation.

Yes, I suggested it, just in case the new drivers were installed on top of the old ones. :)
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Art Blade

ah right, good pint... err, point :)

corairs

I try tryed some othere game's
1 NEed for speed undercover is all so don it but not as bad
2 Tom clancy's H.A.W.X. is not doin it t all
3 Fallout3  is not doin it t all

My CPU is runing at a 100% whin i'm in Farcry 2  :o  :)
PS thank you all for your help  :)

Art Blade

you're welcome.

After all, I'd kill windows :) Really, give it a try. Start from scratch (new windows installation, latest vid driver, latest audio driver, and then don't install the AntiVirus program you used to use. Instead, install FC2 again, and then... I'd be damned if it didn't run. Install FC2 patch, should still w@&k. If that was ok, maybe your AV was the reason. Try a different AV perhaps.

Don't give in yet, matey :)

PZ

Try this: start up FC2, ctrl-alt-del to open up task manager, go to the processes tab, and sort by cpu (descending order) to see which process is consuming resources while in the game - then give us the list of anything that you see consuming processer cycles and we can compare to what we have running on our systems.  This might reveal if a strange process is running - you could then stop it and see how it affects the game.

corairs

I on heve one CPU .  :o  :)

Art Blade

"sort by CPU" - PZ meant, click on the tab so it shows the items listed by CPU-usage rather than by name of the processes :)

corairs

Ok here it is i thank
1 Farcry2.exe 90%
2 servce.exe 15%
3system. 06

corairs

OK i used msconfig Diagnostic starup-load basic devices and services only  to tune off all  but the basic that i need to run my computer and Farcry2 is stell doing it :)   

PZ

Great - I'll check when I fire up the PC to see what I have going, but in seeing what you have listed, nothing is terribly unusual  You might watch it for a while and see if the numbers change much, or if new items appear.  I think I recall you mentioning that you have a hesitation while you play the game - it is possible that something comes up only on those occasions.  If it is possible, see if you can play a little of the game while the task manager is running - watch it closely for activity.

Art Blade

yeah.. corairs did it!  :-X

PZ

Just to report back, when I play FC2, only the game uses processor cycles.  CPU consumption varies from 7% (just walking/driving around) to 25% (being in a fire fight).  Neither Services.exe nor System are consuming any (visible) CPU cycles.

RedRaven

not sure if it will help with your problem, but have noticed lag in performance on my PC when there is alot (30+) saves in the Save folder, so have got into habit of moving all but most recent 2/3 saves to a seperate folder. was suprised at how big saves can get, between 1 - 8 mb, and if you hit quick save often like me it soon adds up to alot.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Tags:
🡱 🡳