Videos

Started by Dweller_Benthos, December 29, 2014, 06:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandru

Since I've long wondered about how to make video captures I'm going to jump in on this line of questioning.

Once you've made your in game vid capture and have a file saved is there a video editor in the Fraps download?  Otherwise what program are you guys using to edit, trim, assemble and add titles to the videos you are uploading?
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Dweller_Benthos

I use the shadowplay recording feature of Nvidia Geforce drivers and Gforce Experience. If you don't have an Nvidia card, then it won't w@&k obviously. But you can set it to record continuously if you want, and the recording time is an option up to 20 minutes I think, then it starts looping, but I've found about 3 minutes is good, as mostly for those types of things, it's usually a pretty short clip of the last minute or so that you want. I recorded the clip of me hitting the bird with the gyro-copter that way, otherwise I would have missed it. There's also a manual recording option there you can start and stop the recording at any point you want, for those longer segments where you know you want to record like taking on an outpost or something.

It also has options to include microphone input for voice over and web cam input, but I don't think it does anything fancy like green screen. But it's free, so that's why I use it lol.

For editing I'm using a couple years old copy of Pinnacle Studio which I originally bought to edit transfers of old home video VHS tapes. It has some pretty advanced features, but is a bit wonky now and then, especially when editing clip times, it's really flaky when doing that. But the newest version might not have that trouble, eventually I might pick it up. It was around $100 US as I recall.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

I just use the built-in Windows application, Movie Maker which allows you to trim, add effects, etc.

The nice thing is that when you render the movie, it reduces the file size by 90% or more, which greatly reduces the time needed to upload to YouTube.  Also, in YouTube itself, you can edit the movie, add effects, sound tracks, etc.  All of the above (except Fraps) is free.  Fraps has a trial download available so you can try it.

If you want to get more fancy, Camtasia Studio is another option that works really well for video manipulation, but is not cheap.

If folks get interested in doing videos on a more regular basis, we should create a topic with tips and tricks

mandru

Wow! That was fast.  Ok thanks guy.

I have the Nvidia GTX 680 so Shadowplay is an option.  I just looked at Fraps and see that I need to study up on this a bit more.  I do have full Win8 Office suite on my All-In-One tablet that may have Movie Maker editor to pull files to and render over on that system.

Thanks again for the info.  :-X
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Here's a link to Movie Maker for W8.1 (I do not believe it comes pre-installed on W8 machines, at least mine isn't)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/get-movie-maker-download

D_B, does Shadowplay buffer prior time segments like Fraps?  I have not used that feature except in video recording on the PS4, but it really comes in handy.  For instance, I can't recall the number of times I've wished that I was recording game play that I've missed.  Having that 30-second buffer or already played game makes it a snap to capture everything you like

EDIT: those fools at MS have ruined the new version of Movie Maker - requires you to sign in and simplifies things to the point where it does not do much except automatically share on YT.

Here is the link to the older (reasonable) version that does what it is supposed to do

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34

nexor

I also use MS Movie Maker, and once the movie is produced I use a converter software called "Handbrake" it is an opensource software. Handbrake converts the movie to mp4 and it does not alter the quality of the clip.
Also, after the initial conversion to mp4 I repeatedly "convert" the same clip, everytime  it shrinks the size of the clip which reduces the YouTube upload time.

What I don't like, the software YouTube is using does screw up the quality of the clip  :-\\ 

PZ

Just curious, nex, why do you convert to mp4?

nexor

Converting to mp4 reduces the clip size without loosing the quality, it also helps to reduce the uploading time to YouTube.
Fraps uses avi format, the last clip I uploaded was 4.92GB in avi format, after conversion it was reduced to 40MB in mp4 format
Had I uploaded the avi file to YouTube it would have taken about 6 hours, the mp4 file only took about 70 minutes to upload.
I have not been able to find any converting software that does a good quality Flv format which is what YouTube is using

PZ

I see - using Movie Maker I'm producing WMV format choosing the encoded that is best for playback on my PC - the files are really rather small, and the quality appears to be good.

PZ

Back on topic, doing this Karma mission was lots of fun - the mission: take out the Captain with a handgun.  Just coincidentally, moments prior I had completed the mission where you run around to the three temples, and unlocked my beloved 6P9, which I had unknowingly equipped with night sight and suppressor.  Man, what luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eng7x6U8Nbo#ws

PZ

Clearing an outpost using only the Z93.  Just for fun, took down the very last guy, a heavy, with the knife take-down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbvmpAAuR0w#ws

nexor

I love the Z93, from the moment it came available I started using it with the silencer attached. When I do stealth attacks I use the Z93

fragger

Thanks for all the helpful info back there guys, much appreesh :-X :)

Dweller_Benthos

Quote from: PZ on January 13, 2015, 08:47:49 AM
D_B, does Shadowplay buffer prior time segments like Fraps?  I have not used that feature except in video recording on the PS4, but it really comes in handy.  For instance, I can't recall the number of times I've wished that I was recording game play that I've missed.  Having that 30-second buffer or already played game makes it a snap to capture everything you like

Not quite sure what you're asking, as I don't know what prior time segments are :-)

But you can set Shadowplay to record everything you do all the time, with a customizable time limit. I have mine set at 3 minutes, which seems a good length, but it goes up to 20 minutes I think, which is way too long. Most of the time, if you just had a good run or something funny happen, it's at most a minute, maybe two if you want some intro to run up to the incident, and making any longer segments to auto-record just means you're saving a lot of video you don't need.

You can also hit the manual record button at any time to save a clip when you're sure you want something recorded.

It also will record desktop actions as well, though I've never used it, but if you want a video of you moving files around in explorer, then it might come in handy for a tutorial or something.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

I'm not being articulate enough in my question.  I'll try to be more clear with an example.

When I'm in FRAPS or on the console and am playing a game, the software keeps track of what I have already played so when I click the record button, the previous 30 seconds of game play in FRAPS, or up to the prior 15 or so minutes of game play on the console has already been recorded.

It's kind of like going back in time and you don't have to say to yourself "dang, I wish I would have recorded that"

Binnatics

I have also been searching for the right recording program, and so far the only good solution seems to be fraps. Other programs available through for example Steam show many bad user reviews. Fraps is thoroughly tested and seems very reliable. If I buy one, it will be fraps. It costs only 30 bucks after all.

On the .WMV files; I have trouble uploading them to youtube, because youtube thinks it needs to be reconfigured to get a true 1080p look. The result is Michelin men in my videos :-D

There is a workaround but I'd prefer a video format that uploads without trouble. MP4 seems to be the right one so I might take a look what this handbrake program does.
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

Quote from: Binnatics on January 14, 2015, 10:41:57 AM
... The result is Michelin men in my videos :-D

:laugh: :-X

Fraps is well worth it - records very well, is always available for screen captures and videos, and the CPU overhead is minimal enough so I have no problem recording game play even on my old PC.

Plus I believe you still get free upgrades for life

Stiku

Just a few recording program that are available, and this is just me >:D : better than Fraps.  :angel::
Action!
Bandicam (This is what I use)
DXtory

(update) also these.
nVidia Shadowplay
Raptr GVR/Replay/Plays.tv (AMD equiv. for Shadowplay)

PZ

Those look like good alternatives, Stiku, and in a similar price range - thanks for posting!  :-X

I can't quite determine from the product descriptions - do any of them support loop recording?  That is a term that Fraps uses to describe for example a 30 second buffer - when you hit the record key, your play from that point plus the previous 30 seconds of play will be recorded.

Stiku

Quote from: PZ on January 14, 2015, 03:59:57 PM
Those look like good alternatives, Stiku, and in a similar price range - thanks for posting!  :-X

I can't quite determine from the product descriptions - do any of them support loop recording?  That is a term that Fraps uses to describe for example a 30 second buffer - when you hit the record key, your play from that point plus the previous 30 seconds of play will be recorded.

Only shadowplay and GVR has that "replay" feature, others don't.

PZ

Thanks Stiku, good to know

Here's a really short one - only 12 seconds using my favorite sidearm, the 6P9, in FC2, and now I feel like I've come home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JdiknrquPc#ws

PZ

Can't miss with that! (a line out of an old John Wayne movie)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z65CBnLUl14#ws

PZ

An average side mission using a sniper to kill a Captain incognito and then getting rid of his body.  Sniping from across the river kept the mercs off balance, and they never did find my position.  Funny moment - I used a jet ski to cross the river and did not notice that I'd run over a demon fish but I did feel a thump like I'd hit a floating log.- didn't see it until I watched the video

Far Cry 4: Sniper side mission$ws

Stiku

Talking about sniping, vids in 60fps, so use chrome  >:D :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7qZo_JOsII#ws

OWGKID

I have my 6P9 equipped with suppressor, night sight and gold paint  :-() :-() :-() :-() :-() :-() :-() :-() :-() :-() :-() :-()
LEGACY

Tags:
🡱 🡳