Hardware discussion

Started by RedRaven, April 22, 2009, 03:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

haha, good point - my vehicle careens down the road no mater how I drive it!

Art Blade

never thought of that, haha... it's the game (handling of cars) that annoyed you, not the hardware... Having to deal with cars that drive like they had quadrangular wheels doesn't mean you do something wrong LOL
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

To a point, but you know how precise the movement of the mouse is? (You can turn in small increments)  The steering seems to be all or none with the keyboard (i.e., not turning or fully turned, no in between)  While the PS3 controller is not nearly as precise as the mouse, the advantage is that steering is incremental which makes the driving a bit easier, although you still careen down the road!   ;D

Art Blade

Hold on, you're not saying you steer that car with a mouse, are you???
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

No, not steering with the mouse, was just point out that the mouse allows precise movement (turning) while the strafe function is all-or none.  I wish that I could drive the vehicle with the mouse though - left mouse=forward, right mouse=back.  Then when you go out of the vehicle the mouse reverts back to person movement - just a playing preference thing I guess.  However, I'm going to practice with the keyboard some to see if I become accustomed to it.  :-X

Art Blade

steering wheel springs to mind... nah. that'd be too much for FC2  :)

PZ

You're correct about that wheel being overkill for FC2 - but Fuel on the other hand....

Art Blade

find out about logitech's G25. I am completely convinced it's the best there is. There are more expensive ones, like Porsche, but in total the G25 is best. When I saw it, those three pedals, and on top a 6-gear manual gearbox  :-X

PZ

You know, although I'm not positive, I believe that's the one my wife purchased for me to use with Gran Turismo 5 - has the gear shift, multiple pedals and was cited as the "offocial" wheel for GT5 - sitting now unused because of FC2!

... I wonder if I can program it to w@&k with FC2 driving...

Art Blade

I don't think that's a good idea... I once did that for a console game ported for PC, Sega Rallye. Since the game expects keystrokes, meaning either "turn" or "don't turn", you would have a loooong way to go just to do a "yes/no"-input. the steering wouldn't get any easier

PZ

Rats... was hoping for an easier driving solution...

Oh well, I'll get used to the keys just like I did for the PS3 - just wanted the lazy way out.

Art Blade

Quote from: PZ on April 28, 2009, 02:09:17 PM

take the bloody bus  ;D

spaceboy

Quote from: Art Blade on April 28, 2009, 02:11:25 PM
Quote from: PZ on April 28, 2009, 02:09:17 PM

take the bloody bus  ;D

classic.  good one Art.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

RedRaven

evening all,
hows the PC runnin PZ ? sounds like bit of a dream machine (just dont call it HAL !!!!)

refering back to reply 11 in this thread - great question, my XP system is stripped of all USELESS windows processes that i can stop, so when playin FC2 taskmanager shows approx 20 processes running (showing for all users)
in terms of CPU usage seen it vary from 5% to 60%,
Inspired by post 11 have set TASKMGR to display CPU, Mem Usage, PEAK Mem Usage and VM Size so will post couple sample screen shots in few days (Task manager, Processes Tab, View, Select Columns) if any of ya want to see same info.

And to keep myself busy decided to instal FC2 on my other system -
H.W.
HP s3330.uk
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.20GHz
2.00 GB RAM
32 bit Operating System
ATI Radeon HD 2400 graphics
(says "Total Available Graphics Memory 1023 MB, Dedicated Video Memory 256 MB, Shared System Memory 767 MB") !? totaly clueless as to what all that means)
same monitor (HP w1907 wide LCD), screen refresh runnin at 75 Hertz at my DR`s advice instead of default 60.
my 1st ever ATI Radeon (so not sure what to expect), have always used Nvidia GeForce but the ATI is on-board and cant yet afford one of the new super-hot Nvidia cards  :'(
oh and the HP has Vista Home Premium SP1 ( all fancy RAM/CPU eating prettiness turned off, set on classic view - was amazed at how much resources it freed up!)

this is a pre-built off the shelf system, my other was built to be a games engine by friend of a friend as a favour.

will post info from both systems in few days.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Fiach

Quote from: spaceboy on April 25, 2009, 09:01:51 PM
congratulations on your new machine PZ.  I liked the screen print you posted already too.  Ah, that first drive in.  I liked the long beginning, looking at the scenery, all the anticipation - I knew I was going to love it - I didn't exactly how much I was going to love it.

Totally in sync with that feeling!

It reminded me a little of Half Life, the feeling of anticipation on the journey by train at the start.

My PC sucks now for games, but with a little care I seem to be able to run games I shouldnt lol :)

XP Home, 3.2, 1 gig ram, 128 mb nvidia 6600 GTOC.

I LOVE my XBOX 360! It allows me to play "cutting edge games" without having to fork out another €1.5k for a gaming PC. Took me awhile to get used to the controller for shooters instead of using the mouse, but its all good now :)

The fact that they are consideing releasing Crysis is just such an awesome piece of news for me, after seeing how they managed to fit FC2 into the 360.
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

PZ

Quote from: dke58 on May 02, 2009, 03:29:35 PM
evening all,
hows the PC runnin PZ ? sounds like bit of a dream machine (just dont call it HAL !!!!)

The machine runs fantastic dke58 - this is the first new PC I've had in years.  I am amazed at how crisp aiming is on a PC, and I love the ability to save whenever I want.  I typically still save at safe houses, etc., but now when I need to get off immediately I have a way to do so without losing my place in the game.  It's kind of interesting, I'm playing a new game on the PC (currently at 4%), and am at 58% on a game using the PS3 (yeah, I still play both).  One place where the console shines is in steering - the wheel is as precise on the console as aiming with the mouse is on the PC.  I'm looking forward to you posting your system info.

Fiach, I'm like you, I still love my PS3, and have played FC2 on the xBox - they are virtually the same on both platforms so I know how you feel!

Tags:
🡱 🡳