Hardware discussion

Started by RedRaven, April 22, 2009, 03:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

usually: no :) Most people would like to "pimp" their FPS up though, but it's hardware :) oh, and vid driver.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

DKM2

No you can't adjust it, you get what you get, it goes up and down depending on the action.
Here's some comparisons for you;
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/13606-evga-gtx-295-1792mb-gddr3-video-card-review-10.html
and maybe more than you ever wanna know about vid cards on the other pages.

Btw, if you got vista64, you can find the benchmark tool here, FC2 comes with it.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Far Cry 2\bin\FC2BenchmarkTool.exe
(or just the regular ProgramFiles for 32bit)
you can find out exactly what yours is.
"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power..."

PZ

Thanks guys - running the benchmark tool now.  Is there a way to run FC2 in a window (other than alt-enter) - my mouse does not reach into the menu bar to adjust the size of the window when I try the alt-enter trick.

DKM2

:D
Alt-tab gets FC2 into a window, and Alt-enter back to full screen.
"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power..."

Art Blade

never tried to run FC2 windowed... I do alt+tab (flicks it into the task bar/background and back; you may need a 2nd prog running [i.e. task manager] so it will flick at all). doesn't use CPU then.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

;D hey DKM2 same time then

PZ

It works!
Has anyone managed to get FC2 to w@&k with Logitech's RumblePad?

Art Blade

I think DKM2 has, he posted something in "wish me luck"

DKM2

Quote from: PZ on April 25, 2009, 02:54:11 PM
It works!
Has anyone managed to get FC2 to w@&k with Logitech's RumblePad?

Its in "tips", the second page.
Its what I use, using the profiler you can assign/edit any keys you want from what I have.

In options you may have to click "assign persistent profile" and select FC2.

DKM2

Quote from: Art Blade on April 25, 2009, 02:28:40 PM
;D hey DKM2 same time then
:D I don't even remember the first time, was it good?

Alt then tab, works on Vista64. *shrug*

Art Blade

DKM2, it was the first time... wasn't too bad for that matter. we replied almost at the same time, is what I meant.

XP32 doesn't always seem to allow alt+tab, since it is commonly used for switching programs. So, if only one program is running and refuses to be sent into the task bar using alt+tab, a second program such as the task manager allows you to switch using alt+tab = escape full screen games.

DKM2

yeah, you could be right, I do have it installed on a XP machine, but can't check it right now.

PZ

I'm using Vista64 and so far so good, although the profile software for the RumblePad did not w@&k - reinstalled and it worked fine.  Funny thing is that the key assignments I'm making to the D-pad are assigned to the left joystick.  Strange...

spaceboy

congratulations on your new machine PZ.  I liked the screen print you posted already too.  Ah, that first drive in.  I liked the long beginning, looking at the scenery, all the anticipation - I knew I was going to love it - I didn't exactly how much I was going to love it.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

It's funny how nostalgic one can become on that first drive from the airport to Pala... In fact, I was looking at the map on the seat next to me as we were driving in... I really am liking the mouse control of the PC, but on the other hand, there is no way that I can replace the ability to play FC2 using the PS3 while in bed before I rise in the morning.

PS: it is great to be able to quickly hit the printscr key to capture the moment - priceless...

JRD

You're right... to be in bed or in your couch to play is great... that's one side of PC gaming... not too comfortable.
On the other hand, aiming at a distant target with precision and taking screencaps are just great in PC and no console can provide that.
Good you can take best from both... ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

Of course the printkey is fantastic. But, don't you like F5? Quicksave where- and whenever you like? :) (along with F9 "quickload")

JRD

I use F5 and F9 a lot... really a lot. Before beginning a long drive, after a long drive, before assaulting a GP, before assault... its practical cos I don't have to drive too long to die two three times in the same place.
But, as have been said here, it looses immersion. So I try (not too hard) not to quicksave during an assault to an area till its all clear or till the GP is "scouted" for instance!!
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

DKM2

Quote from: PZ on April 25, 2009, 09:00:02 PM
I'm using Vista64 and so far so good, although the profile software for the RumblePad did not w@&k - reinstalled and it worked fine.  Funny thing is that the key assignments I'm making to the D-pad are assigned to the left joystick.  Strange...
Captain Obvious says, "your doing something wrong".

:)

PZ

Yeah, I was doing something wrong - there is small button that changes the mode - apparently switching between the D-pad and the left joystick.  What a dumb mistake.

On a related note, I noticed two problems (maybe other stupid msitakes)

• Movement - do you have the left joystick configured to move forward/back - strafe left/right (if so what is your configuration)?  I did so by assigning the letters to the stick, but when I use it, it is all or none, i.e., for instance, when steering left, the wheel turns all the way - no in between - makes for jerky driving.
  • I have one of the buttons set to mouse-right for the iron sights function.  The problem is that it works once, but when you fire, you lose the iron sights and it returns to normal view.  i.e., you can't hold down the button and remain in iron sights mode.
Overall though, the functions on the Rumblepad are better than the PS3 controller.
Any ideas?

Art Blade

if it works like other logitech controller (keyboard, steering wheel) you should be able to program buttons. Not only assign them a key. If you program them you can distinguish between "push button" and "release button" (same for keys) and also combine them (so called macros). Ever tried that?

PZ

I guess that it works similar to the other controllers, but I have not encountered a difference between release and push, but admittedly, I probably need to look a bit deeper.

Art Blade

when you press a button, you do it for so long until you release it. sometimes it comes in handy that a programmed button pretends to be pressed even when released. often the release is triggered by a different button or an event.

PZ

Thanks for the tip - I'll try it as soon as I get back on my gaming PC - my wife said that she wants to get back on the Internet soon.

DKM2

I think the jerky driving is more a function of how the game handles keys.
I have the left joy stick programmed exactly same for GTA IV and its smooth as can be, but not for FC2.
I just got used to it I guess, besides you can't drive straight on those crappy roads anyways.

Tags:
🡱 🡳