PS3 hardware

Started by PZ, October 04, 2009, 10:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

I purchased a Saitek Cyborg wired controller for the PC games some time ago - it works well, and is supposed to w@&k with the PS3 as well.  This morning I plugged it into the console to see how it worked - was really different from the Sony controller in a good way.  Rock solid feel, and it has an extra button that you can press with the second finger on your right hand (button is on the under side of the controller).  This button is a precise aiming button that when pressed, will slow the right stick for really precise movement.  This feature negates the complaint that I have with the console controllers having that clunky feel in comparison to the mouse on the PC. 

Although I have not played with the controller long enough to give a good recommendation, so far it appears to be superior to the Sony controller both in feel of the controls and comfort.  The additional benefit is that I can now use the same controller on PC and console.

Fiach

Sounds cool mate, The only time I ever bought a third party controller was for the old XBOX, it didnt w@&k with some of the games though, so I decided never to go down that road again.

You can get an adapter to use PS2 controllers with the PS3, They have a more sturdy feel to them, but they have no six axis (spawn of satan) functionality, which you need for Uncharted to aim grenades and Folklore for ripping out souls, also to some extent Heavenly Sword., which kinda sucks I guess, dunno about other games as these are all I have played so far on the PS3.
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

PZ

The cool thing about this controller is that it works for PS2, PS3, and PC so you can become accustomed to a single controller and use it for all your gaming.  As I'm sure everyone has noticed, the different controllers take a bit of getting used to, so having a single solution for all your games seems like a logical step if you game on multiple platforms.  I'm actually planning to use the Saitek on the PS3 from now on to become accustomed to it's operation - it does "handle" differently from the Sony and the Logitech.  Although I've only used it on the PS3 in FC2, the button mapping is exactly the same as the stock Sony controller (it's just not wireless).

Art Blade

I use a Thrustmaster HandsOnThrottleAndStick (HOTAS) that also has 6 axis and has a switch to make it w@&k for PS3. The Stick works left/right (x), forward/backward (y) and with a twist of your wrist you can turn the z-axis left/right. Additionally it has a throttle stick. It's remappable too.

already recommended it for ArmA2 here
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

Sounds interesting PZ.  I don't think I can give up wireless though...my logitechs were wireless for PS2 and now the DS3 are wireless of course.  I'd potentially buy logitechs if they made 'em for PS3 I suppose.  Wireless is just how I roll  8) hahaha
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

Yeah, me too, but I sure do like how some of the alternative controllers w@&k.  The only problem I saw was that the wire was too short, but that was resolved by a 10-foot USB extension cord.  Now I can still lay in bed playing games from my usual comfy, cozy spot.  But the main benefit for me is that I now play regularly on two platforms and using the same controller on both helps my game play, and I need all the help I can get!  ;D

Fiach

Although with consoles I use wireless, In MMO's my keyboard is wired.

One of the most annoying things on Comms in a MMO, to hear, is :

Healer : Aw S%#t!
Group : Whats up mate?
Healer : Friken batteries are dead on the keyboard, hold on a sec!

10 minutes of finger twiddling while the erstwhile Healer gets his act together.

It happens incredibly frequently :)
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

JRD

When I think life is getting easier with technology....  :-\

I am thinking about getting a controller... to play FUEL, Burnout Paradise, Flight Simulator or to better handle vehicles in Arma (who plays it knows how driving/flying with keyboards sucks).
So I was convinced on getting a Logitech, wireless or not and things were going fine.
Now you come up with all this discussion about controller, 6 axis stuff and whatnot... geez...
Now I need some help...  ::)

Can anyone, please, tell me some pros and cons of Saitek Cyborg  vs Logitech

I know logitech can range from a very expensive controller to a rather cheap one.

I was considering the mid range purchase... wired or wireless with good layout and grip... don`t need those hand coolers (would be cool though, but pricy)

Thanks in advance guys...  :-X
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

I have the Saitek Cyborg v3 (wired) and the Logitech Rumble Pad (wireless).  Although it is possible that Vista64 is part of the problem, I just could not get the Logitech to w@&k well with FC2 - started the game and the player would be automatically moving in some direction (right,left, forward,back) and you could never tell what was going to happen.  If I restarted the controller driver and FC2 (sometimes up to 8-10 times) it might finally behave although there were times that I gave up in defeat.

The Saitek is working just great for all my games and actually feels a bit better in the hands than the Logitech.  Plus it has that extra aiming button beneath the controller which is a great feature.  Also, you can reverse the position of the left stick/D pad by unplugging the module and turning it in it's position.  Added value is that I can use it on the console plus the PC.

I think that the Logitech is probably as good, and the wireless feature sure is nice, but it didn't w@&k out too well on my PC.

Art Blade

two simple rules:

1) Wire is for gamers, wireless for anything else

2) who buys cheap, buys two times. The second time when the cheap crap shows why it's cheap :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Quote from: Art Blade on October 05, 2009, 08:02:18 AM
two simple rules:

1) Wire is for gamers, wireless for anything else

I don't get it... why not wireless for gaming?  :(

Quote from: Art Blade on October 05, 2009, 08:02:18 AM

2) who buys cheap, buys two times. The second time when the cheap crap shows why it's cheap :)

That's exactly my thoughts... cheap is expensive, if you know what I mean... that's why I was looking for a Logitech. It seems a good trademark. The thing is, they have models with a little fan under the controller to cool your hands when you sweat too much. I think deadman has one of those if I'm not wrong.
I really don't care about those gimmicks (no ofense deadman, it just don't w@&k for me  ;) ) as it tends to be another potential troubleshoot and gets the price a bit higher.
Maybe I'll check PZ's controller and see what I think of both.
Cheers all

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Good luck JRD, everyone needs to get a feel for what is going to w@&k for them because one shoe does not fit all.  What I like others may dislike!  ;D

Art Blade

JRD, wire has

a) no batteries that can fail nor can you run out of them
b) no interferences or stutter that may happen while transmitting data in a wireless controller (worst scenario: I had a mouse that could either send "press button" or "move mouse" but not both at the same time. Try jump and shoot with that...)
c) No receiver that needs to be plugged into your PC somehow (radio antenna sort of thing)
d) usually a lower price compared to else equally equipped wireless stuff

spaceboy

Quote from: Art Blade on October 05, 2009, 09:52:11 AM
JRD, wire has

a) no batteries that can fail nor can you run out of them
b) no interferences or stutter that may happen while transmitting data in a wireless controller (worst scenario: I had a mouse that could either send "press button" or "move mouse" but not both at the same time. Try jump and shoot with that...)
c) No receiver that needs to be plugged into your PC somehow (radio antenna sort of thing)
d) usually a lower price compared to else equally equipped wireless stuff

prob the diff between consoles and PC with wireless.  I've never had lag with my wireless controllers or wireless headset.  My wireless mouse on the other hand will definitely show lag - but my Excel spreadsheet isn't shooting at me hahaha.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

Quote from: spaceboy on October 05, 2009, 10:06:54 AM
My wireless mouse on the other hand will definitely show lag - but my Excel spreadsheet isn't shooting at me hahaha.

That's why I mentioned "Wire is for gamers, wireless for anything else"  ;D

Tags:
🡱 🡳