SOMEONE NEEDS TO MAKE A GOOD DETAILED MAP FOR FC3!

Started by rubberduckkiller, May 17, 2013, 05:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

OMG, tha Mapper might do an FC3 map!  :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

Dweller_Benthos

Well, at most I would see if I can stitch the high res map tiles together and put that up somewhere for anyone who wants to go further with it, but I don't think I'd spend the time putting all those icons and stuff in, no real need, IMO.

That is, if I ever get the game data extracted, still haven't looked into how to do that.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Out file limits have increased significantly since you did the FC2 maps.  We should be able to house anything you manage to put together, should you find the time to do so.  ;)

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

rubberduckkiller

i've finally finished exams and got a chance to play FC3, 20h over the past tree days is a good enough sample i think and wow.

It's so much different from what i expected, and i now completely get why there is no need for a printable map, although maybe it would mean i dont  have to pause the game all  the time. (1 point to FC2)

Thank you for all the feedback guys.

Art Blade

all the best regarding your exams, mate, hope it all goes well. And you're welcome, keep posting and don't hesitate asking questions :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

I like the maps because I can print them on color paper - they are like wall art for me  ^-^

i can still look at D_B's detailed maps and relive my FC2 adventures in my mind's eye  :-X

Art Blade

mandru

Yeah, it's funny.  ^-^

There was a time when I could see almost any screenshot from FC2 and place it in the FC2 world instantly and yet for the small details of navigation I would pop open the map to plan unique approaches to objectives.  Always seeking the as yet unexperienced surprises FC2 was loaded with.

I'm slowly approaching that point in FC3 but the map pauses the game.  :-\\

It's just not the same as flying down the road or over some goat track with your map spread out on the dashboard yelling "Where the hell am I?"  ;)
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Dweller_Benthos

I'll see what I can do, can someone post a link to a tutorial on extracting the graphics? I have the converter program, just need to get the graphics extracted.
D_B

Onkel_Hotte

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on June 20, 2013, 07:47:23 AM
I'll see what I can do, can someone post a link to a tutorial on extracting the graphics? I have the converter program, just need to get the graphics extracted.

- Download "Gibbed Tools Dunia 2 GUI-1-04.rar" (Google for it)
- unpack it and run "RunGUI.exe"
- set the paths
- in section 'UnPack' choose 'fc_main (big size)' - you need ~18GB free disk space
- click UnPackIt!
- wait for it
- the graphics for the main map are here: ..\fc3_main\worlds\fc3_main\worldmap
- the graphics for the HUD-map (that's what you want) are here: ..\fc3_main\__UNKNOWN\gfx
- convert them using Robmaisters tools

Good luck!

Dweller_Benthos

OK then, I'll see what happens this weekend. Weather is supposed to be nice though, and World War Z comes out, soooooo spare time looks limited.

Alllll right...... Got the textures extracted, got the photoshop plugin installed, and looking at the files, wow, there are over 12,000 of them. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Looks like the first 1500 or so (#112 - 5119, there are gaps in the number sequence) are just junk. Looks like texture / brush / paint test areas, nothing of interest.

Then, files numbers 5136-5199 are one row of the map tiles, that's 64 files, so that seems right. Thing that confused me a bit is it seems this is the bottom row of the map, which also makes sense, if you break it up into squares, and start numbering from the bottom corner (0,0) and w@&k across, then up to the next row, etc.

The next set is 5264-5279 which is garbage, 16 files. These may be a separate file, or the edges of the main image file where they did scribbles and stuff.

Then, the next set of real textures is 5296-5359, another set of 64 files.

Doing the math, 64 tiles each of 128 pixels is 8,192 pixels wide for the whole map. I haven't counted how many rows there are yet, but looking at the world map files which I looked at, is 4096x3584, so this file set would be 8192x7168 give or take.

Oh yeah, for some reason, the minimap files weren't in \fc3_main\__UNKNOWN\gfx for me, that folder isn't there when I extracted the files, but I found them in fc3_main\worlds\fc3_main\minimaps\1 - unless that's the wrong set of files? There is no __UNKNOWN folder in my extracted set.

Yes, looking back at what Onkel_Hotte posted, I don't have any files with names like 5A09D4261F0E926B.xbt, so I think I'm looking at the wrong files.

All right, final note for the day, then I'm going hiking. I pieced together the level 4 zoom main map (files named 3_#_#) which is the highest resolution. Then I overlaid one strip of the minimap files I found on top of it, and it seems that is about twice the resolution of the highest main map file set, or thereabouts. So, unless there's yet another set of minimap files that I'm missing for some reason, that looks to be about it. Figuring the final size to be about 16,384x14,336. No guarantee if/when I get this done.
D_B

PZ

Wow, impressive w@&k so far, D_B +1 just for the effort to get this far  :-X

Art Blade

agree. +1  :-X from me, too.

NICE. Keep going, D_B  :)

Onkel_Hotte

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on June 21, 2013, 07:58:56 AM
... Oh yeah, for some reason, the minimap files weren't in \fc3_main\__UNKNOWN\gfx for me, that folder isn't there when I extracted the files, but I found them in fc3_main\worlds\fc3_main\minimaps\1 - nless that's the wrong set of files? There is no __UNKNOWN folder in my extracted set....

Wow, I've been looking at the wrong files, the whole time!
I've used 1.03 of Gibbed Tools to unpack them - unpacking with 1.04 I get the same (and obviously correct) results as you.
So just forget everything I've written before about cryptic filenames and '__UNKNOWN\gfx'-folders.

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on June 21, 2013, 07:58:56 AM
... Figuring the final size to be about 16,384x14,336. ...

A word about that: When you stitch the highest main map you end up with a map of 7168x6144. You'll have to place it in a 10240x10240 map (filling the rest with blue color for open water) to match the  coordinates found ingame: 0.0/0.0 is at lower left corner, 1024.0/1024.0 is at upper right corner. I presume it will be the same with the minimap-files. You'll probably have to place it in a 20480x20480 sized file to match the coordinates.

Dweller_Benthos

OK, I didn't realize there was a direct correlation to the pixel grid on the map to the coordinates given in game. Nice to know. There are a lot of "extra" files that are either junk or filler, now that I know that, I guess they are there to "fill the space" to make the graphics match the in game locations. Most of them in the world maps are just dark blue space fillers, I ignored them when I stitched those maps, but in the minimap files, there are various scribbles and other weird things that might be interesting to see. Heck, there might even be a secret message in them, you never know.

I have some time this afternoon, as I just saw World War Z (fun pic, lots of zombie action) and it's brutal hot out there now, so I'm sitting in the A/C keeping cool and doing stuff like laundry which leaves time for games and other pursuits.
D_B

fragger

I found this map online, there are clearer and more useful maps around but I like the way this one is presented:

http://hdoesheritage.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/therookislands.jpg

mandru

I commented on this elsewhere but thought it might be worth mentioning here.  Something I've noticed that's not showing on any of the game maps is ammo crates and randomly scattered stockpiles for a quick reload.  There's not even an icon on the mini-maps to show those spots even exist.  In a pinch knowing where there's stray ammo scattered around can be more critical than the locations of treasure chests.

Many times a mission location will have an ammo crate that remains in the game even after the mission is complete.  An example of one such location is across the river from the sewage treatment plant near the ledge you shoot from to provide Ollie cover so he can escape before being loaded on the chopper.  Some of the large ammo stockpiles that are permanently available for quick top off are not connection to a mission.

UBI's omission of these locations on the maps have irritated me at times in the past because I've run low on handgun, sniper ammo or grenades and not realized until later that I was mere steps away from a complete refill.  ???

For assault rifle or shotgun ammo location markers a single bullet icon for a quick single magazine refill and two crossed bullets for selected weapon top off while a grenade could be used to mark a full ammo reload.  I know for me having this information available as I was planning some of less than perfect missions would have been very helpful.

Of course finding all these locations would probably require something resembling a massive scavenger hunt while under fire and constantly looking over our shoulders for fang, beak and claw but it's something I don't think anyone else has considered documenting.
- mandru

Art Blade

mandru

Art, the reason I only listed "fang, beak and claw" was because the animals are still aware of you and will attack with the ignore player cheat activated.  :)
- mandru

Art Blade

wrong.  :) The god mode makes you bulletproof and all that except you will still be vulnerable regarding animals. If you use the ignore player cheat, animals and bad guys alike will ignore you. :) Best combine both cheats. ;)

mandru

Sorry.  :(

I was sure animals still attacked even under ignore.  I'll go back in the game and check it out.

(I'd made a statement of disagreement here but realized I wasn't certain, hence the edit)
- mandru

Art Blade

no worries, I know from experience that it works.. swim with a shark and see for yourself :)

PZ

Onkel_Hotte managed to extract a raw map from Far Cry 3, which he uploaded to our downloads area.  It is a large png file (33 mb) that is the highest resolution possible - read all about it in the Onkel's download description here:

Far Cry 3 Rook Islands map

Kudos, Onkel! +1  :-X

Here is a small jpg preview:
[smg id=6069 align=center]

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳