Classic music videos

Started by PZ, March 26, 2012, 09:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Binnatics

I have that same album (body count) in my collection :) :-X

I found it in a dusted tray in my local record shop. The shop is gone :( This year they quit, due to online business taking over :angry-new:
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Fiach

I got it at release Binn, it was later released without Cop Killer as Walmart refused to stock it. Death threats were sent to Time Warner executives. In place of Cop Killer there a re-recording of this :

Ice-T - Freedom of Speech
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Binnatics

:-X

I was lucky, and found one of the old versions with cop killer on it 8)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Binnatics

Barney McKenna RIP

Dubliners - banjo medley (reels)

:bow

To be honest, I didn't really know the Dubliners, but I heart the news today. It made me listen to what's available on youtube and I must say I really like the music.
Thought this is the appropriate place to share it

Art Blade

very nice :)

Immediately reminded me of this, one of the best banjo performances I've ever seen (and heard)

Dueling Banjos (HD)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Fiach

Well Binn, to put his contribution to music in perspective, he was one of the first people to introduce banjo into our folk music, It would predominantly be used for bluegrass back then. He specifically played a tenor banjo iirc as opposed to some other type. You could nearly call him the jimi Hendrix of the banjo, such was his influence on the banjos huge surge of popularity after he become well known. He would have been a big fan of jazz and especially Django Reinhart (sp?) a formidable guitarist at the time (gypsy with I think a missing finger).

A great thing about Barney is you could just bump into him in O'Donaghues pub and he'd buy you a pint if you engaged him in any way. I had the pleasure of singing for him one night.

The following videos aren't really about him, I want to post a couple of videos of Luke Kelly and Ronnie Drew, Both , also deceased members of The Dubliners, Luke Kelly, probably our most famous "folk ballad" singer, performs the first song, Scorn not his Simplicity, a song written about Phil Coulters Downes Syndrome son. I chose this version as its a very intimate live performance of the song.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=102682056426939#

The next is Luke again, with Raglan Road, It is a poem by Patrick Kavanagh it captures a place in time in the early 1900's Ireland as it weaves a story of love. The bands songs were liberally sprinkled with quaint 18th/19th centuary phrases which are quite endearing compared to some of the stuff you hear nowadays.

Luke Kelly Raglan Road

The Dubliners were famed for their drinking, Ronnie Drew famously said " The best pint of the day was the first one, as it removes the taste of toothpaste from your mouth". This song, The Parting Glass is an irish drinking song about a man leaving the pub and asking for a "parting" glass. It's sung by Ronnie Drew An appropriate song, I think, to end this post with as Luke, Ronnie and Barney are no longer with us :(

Dubliners - The Parting Glass

While supremely popular here in Ireland, they would have considered Germany as their second home, such was their popularity there, we had a pub on the west coast of Ireland and had a huge german customer base, it would be a common sight to see german tourists lining up at night to perform their renditions of well known Dubliner songs.

Hope this was as entertaining for you to read, as it was for me to write, it was a nice nostalgic trip for me to take :)

Binnatics

to read AND listen. Yes it was!!!
Great to know a bit more about these artists and Ireland's music. I noticed you picked the more quiet songs, and that was a pleasant surprise. I always associate Irish music with party music, fast and whipping.

Nice duel, Art!

By the way, I see a green screen in most of the music videos. I do hear the music, but the image is just green :-\\ You guys think I'm getting issues with copyright protection as well? Or does this have to do with a mal-installed flashplayer update or something?

Fiach

Scorn is an actual video of a live performance, Raglan and Parting are static screens with music.

Well, the Dubliners songs could be pretty lively, but I chose those songs as they are deep and probably represented the singers in their best light. It was more an illustration of the singers themselves, rather than the "band".

I made a seperate thread Irish Music as these are kinda out of place in this thread.

http://www.openworldgames.org/owg/forums/index.php?topic=2764.new#new

Binnatics

Great songs Fiach!
The last one reminded me of an old Dutch folk song called "Al die willen te kaap'ren varen". This version is performed by a group called Rapalje, and as you can see they dress kind of Irish :-D But they do a good version of the song. The song has become sort of a children song through the ages. It's such a shame that we Dutch don't remember much of our history it seems.
The song is kind of a sailor's ballad giving the qualifications for being a sailor: "All the men that want to sail should be men with beards. Jan, Pier, Tjoris and Corneel, they have beards, they have beards" etc.

Rapalje - Al Die Willen Te Kaap'ren Varen

Here's another Dutch song that fits the category, but it's not so old. First performed by a group called Bots in 1974:

Bots - Zeven dagen lang

It has a great songtext:
Wat zullen we drinken, zeven dagen lang
Wat zullen we drinken, wat een dorst
Er is genoeg voor iedereen
Dus drinken we samen
Sla het vat maar aan
Ja, drinken we samen, niet alleen

Dan zullen we werken, zeven dagen lang
Dan zullen we werken voor elkaar
Dan is er werk voor iedereen
Dus werken we samen, zeven dagen lang
Ja werken we samen, niet alleen

Eerst moeten we vechten, niemand weet hoe lang
Eerst moeten we vechten voor ons belang
Voor het geluk van iedereen
Dus vechten we samen, samen staan we sterk
Ja vechten we samen, niet alleen

Lalalalalalalala lalalalalalalalalalalalalala.

In English:
What shall we drink for seven days
What shall we drink, what a thirst
There is plenty for everyone
So we drink together
Turn the barrel but
Yes, we drink together, not alone

Then we will w@&k for seven days
Then we will w@&k for each other
Then there is w@&k for all
So we w@&k together, for seven days
Yes, we w@&k together, not alone

First we must fight, nobody knows how long
First we must fight for our interests
For the happiness of everyone
So we fight together, together we are strong
Yes we fight together, not alone

Lalalalalalalala lalalalalalalalalalalalalala.

Fiach

LOL " Fighting for happiness" is a very irish sentiment, great songs mate!...Jesus the fashion from the 70's has me blushing with shame, I thought I looked as cool as f@#k back then.... but... apparently not  >:D 8-X  :laugh:

PZ

Excellent music chaps!  It is great to hear how music varies throughout the world.  :-X

Binnatics

Don't worry Fiach, I thought the same about my hairy appearance in the 90's. I'll post a pic later on to prove I didn't :-D

Tonight I was at my parent's to celebrate my father's birthday. He accomplished 66 last Thursday. I took a dive in his old LP records collection, because I love to do that and because I had this topic in mind ;D

I'll first bother you guys with the first song that I ever asked my dad to turn again, and again, and again. I still get shivers when I hear that guitar riff:

Chance, Big Country

Uhm, oh. Okay, this next one gives a good alternative:

Big Country Live - Chance

Binnatics

The next one: I remember a holiday (in France again I guess) when my parents had their "Willy de Ville period". All the way from Holland to the south of France we listened to his tracks in the car. I guess they had just bought 3 or 4 compacs of him. I 'hated' that music. Until, 10 years later I guess, I heard them again, in their living room I guess, and fell in love with his broken voice. This is one of my favourites:

Mink De Ville- "Mixed Up, Shook Up Girl"

Fiach

I really liked Big Country, its like the guitarist worked out a solo, then imagined how it would sound if it was played with bagpipes, then tried to replicate that sound.... if that makes sense lol :)

Great band, I wasnt familiar with that song, but it was a cool video.

I never heard of Mink Deville tbh.

Binnatics

Cool that you know Big Country ;) I was kind of afraid nobody would know that band. It really my first love (Music was my first love, and it will be my last) :)

Mink deville might be more popular in the States, but you might know this song:

Willy De Ville - Miracle

Anyway, I was just about to post this next song, a must have in this collection:

Paul Simon - Graceland

Binnatics

Then there's another musical trip that kept me busy for quite a while.

Robbie Robertson with the Red Road Ensemble:

Robbie Robertson Ghost Dance HD

Binnatics

Binnatics

I always thought David Bowie was über-cool. My mother said he became a star but couldn't be one.

David Bowie - Absolute Beginners (Official Video) [SHQ]

PZ

Just encountered this good oldie on Dancing with the Stars - totally forgot about Cream until now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKyGn_uxkPU#ws

Fiach

The Mississipi delta was shining like a National Guitar.... sadly I think I was the only person in Sligo at the time that knew what that line meant....

I still dont recognise the DeVille guy mate or the other artists apart from Bowie and Costello. I never "got" Clapton, or why people thought he was "god", but he has one album that I absolutely love and causes me to forgive his pervious misdemeanors, it was called "From the Cradle".

Eric Clapton Hoochie Coochie Man Live TV Recording

Fiach

I love listening to this song while driving at night, Robert Plant "Big Log". Dunno what the name means, he probably wrote it while having a particularly difficult crap  >:D

ROBERT PLANT - Big Log (1983)

Tags:
🡱 🡳