Wish me luck...

Started by PZ, April 13, 2009, 05:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Well guys, after shopping for a new computer (looking for something that I can do gaming on in, addition to w@&k) and not finding anything reasonably priced that has the new video card D_B mentioned, I've decided to build my own... should be an adventure...

... I'm going to the dark side spaceboy...

... just kidding, spaceboy, I'll not give up my PS3 just because of a new computer - I'll just need to decide which unit I'll need for which purposes!

Art Blade

If you're going to build a PC, you should buy proper tools too. A sledgehammer, a chisl, a chainsaw... to name a few  ;D  Good luck matey
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

I never built one myself but sucessfully managed to upgrade mine exchanging hard disk, video card and RAM memory.
Same at w@&k, sometimes maintainance is too simple to call assistance (small company, low budget :-\) so we have to do it by ourselves!!!
Good luck PZ,you gonna need it.

Oh... you never gonna regret you did it ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Yeah, I think you're correct JRD - I'll need plenty of luck, and maybe the tools that Art suggested are not such a bad idea...

... Oh well, it will be a learning experience that I'll survive from (probably)
::)

spaceboy

Don't worry PZ, if you can put together an IED held together with duct tape, I'm sure you can build a PC.

Yeah, don't go to the dark side...nah, really having a console like the PS3 as well as a great gaming computer is a killer combination. 

My Dad's standing joke about plugging things in etc. was "This is the gozinta, and this is the cumzata"  - see it's simple, stick to that and you'll be ok.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

DKM2

PZ, some helpful links for you. great site for help too.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/11930-how-build-modern-pc-system-courtesy-corsair.html

Oh, and here's the last page of my build log from my computer I did, just so you all can see what kinda computer freak I am.
The last pic is just about it, but I've added the amBX system since, and a G13 gamepad.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/worklog/5680-paint-black-4.html
All that certainly isn't necessary, but I got started at it, and just couldn't stop, my poor CC suffered greatly.
"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power..."

PZ

Thanks DKM2,
That's some serious hardware you have there - and a great wallpaper - looks almost like it should be an FC2 scene.

Thanks also for the hardware guides - a quick glance tells me that it is just what I need!  :)

JRD

:o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o
Makes my home PC looks like an old type machine (whatever is the correct name of that thing in english)

PZ

Do you guys have a recommendation for input device for gaming?  I'm thinking wireless keyboard/mouse - I use a standard MS combo on my w@&k computers - anything else worthwhile?

Art Blade

I use a Logitech G15 programmable gaming keyboard and progammable Logitech MX518 cablemouse on my xp machine (only because the Razer Diamondhead red Magma mouse is connected to my vista machine).
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Thanks Art,
Also, because I'm using the i7 and an going to take the chance on Vista 64-bit (just to see what it does for w@&k purposes), does anyone know if FC2 will run on the 64-bit OS?  I'd rather not do dual boot, but I will if I have to get FC2 running.

Art Blade

I've just googled a bit and there are peeps reporting some problems using FC2 and a 64bit OS. Maybe a closer look at ubisoft pages helps?

Sidenote: I use an i7-920 and xp professional 32bit, nVidia Gforce 260 GTX, 3gb ram (you need 3 gigs ram even with win 32bit for the i7)

PZ

[gulp...] Maybe I should dump the idea of the 64-bit for now.

DKM2

Input devices are a personal thing, but I'm a real Logitech fanboy.
G15 Gaming keyboard, G13 Gamepad, wireless Rumblepad and MX Revolution laser mouse.
I just got the G13 and I'm a little  :-\ about it so far, my rumblepad seems more comfortable to use.

But one thing I did pick up for $40, which I thought would be a total waste but got anyways was a mouse pad. I love this thing!
http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mousing-surfaces/razer-exactmat/
Who would've thought.   ;D

btw, I have Vista64, no problems running FC2, or any other game, not that Vista doesn't have its own funky stuff going on thou.

"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power..."

Art Blade

I second that the eXactmat is cool, I use it myself :)

edit:

I like Logitech too...

for the racing stuff I have the Logitech G25 wheel with 3 pedals and 6-gear-handshift  ;D

JRD

I recomend you do not move to 64 bits. Not yet!
You can use DirectX 10 on Vista, but most softwares were not designed for 64bits, only patched to, which lets them rather unstable (that's my case, at least)
I have DirectX 9 on XP 32 and the looks of FC2 is jawdropping.
If you do choose to go 64 bits, make sure the softwares you need to w@&k will run (even if FC2 runs ok, as DKM2 said). Check forums and send e-mails to support till you are really sure.
I use some softwares here at w@&k that just crash to desktop with no warning and don't record my last saves. I've lost a few hours of w@&k here because of that.
Some programs do w@&k fine though and gaming with 64 should be excellent.

Guess I didn't answer you, maybe I put some more questions in your mind instead. But since its quite a headache to me, you should consider your actions wisely.

Smith Lords

Are you speaking English? I've setup new computers and plugged int he mouse and stuff but never MADE one. Oh but once my dad did replace the laser reader on my original Xbox.

DKM2

Sort of SmithLords,
Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm a Electronics/Software Engineer, so if I get carried away just ignore me.
and, I should be working right now....shhhhh... er wait, the first hour is MINE!

PZ

Too late JRD, I ordered my parts list yesterday - should be on my doorstep by early next week!  Oh well, if the 64-bit doesn't w@&k out, I'll just do a dual boot XP option.

I might be calling on your assistance DKM2!

Ricamundo

I made a point of avoiding Vista last summer when I had this crate built, so XP 32 bit all the way here. Also i've found Logi Mice and other periferals like racing wheels not to be very durable, so I stick with MS.

My MS SW wheel/pedals are 7 years old and still w@&k fine. in fact, i bought a used SW wheel off of eBay several years ago as a back up, since MS stopped making them, and it's still in the box, as i've never needed it.

I guess they were losing money on them since they were too reliable, or something.
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

PZ

Quote from: DKM2 on April 14, 2009, 12:26:38 PM
Input devices are a personal thing, but I'm a real Logitech fanboy.
G15 Gaming keyboard, G13 Gamepad, wireless Rumblepad

DKM, do you ever have problems with the left joystick of the rumblepad?  Approximately half the time I enter the game, the left joystick malfunctions.  I use it to steer the vehicle - basically for WSAD movements.  Typically the thing starts moving in a direction and does not stop.  For instance, if I enter the game and move the stick back, my character (or vehicle) keeps moving back no matter what I do, even when the stick is centered.

Fiach

I know jack about PC's, I only use mine now for MMO games, but its even getting shaky at that.

Thank god for consoles or I would never have met you guys LOL, but even now I am still playing old XBOX titles on my 360, (thank god for backwards compatability too :)).

Cant ever see myself getting a new PC with games quality gfx cards again, just too expensive for what I use them for, when consoles are so darn cheap.  :-[ :'(
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Ricamundo

IMHO, I wouldnt touch "Pissta" with a 10 foot Pole, or even an 6 foot 3 inch Canadian. ;) From what i've read, Vista and DX10 are problematic with FC2, whereas XP and DX9 are pretty much trouble free.
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

PZ

So far, I've not experienced much difficulty except with the rumblepad.  I've never played (or seen) FC2 on XP, but with dx10 the scenery still takes my breath away after I've played on the PS3.

I'll probably try Windows 7 though - sounds like an interesting OS.

Art Blade

same, win7 is worth a look

Tags:
🡱 🡳