Wish me luck...

Started by PZ, April 13, 2009, 05:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Hey, good luck on the new PC - going to be an adventure and can't wait to read your report on how it works with that hardware-intensive game.  As to voice/video applications, sorry, but I've not experimented with anything, but people report that the 32 bit version works under Vista.  Don't know for sure though because I've not tried it.

JRD

Phew... can run ArmA 2 on low settings... need to tweak the nVidia control panel a bit to get a smoother gameplay, but will be able to finish and retry A2 campaign and custom missions... plus all the editor capabilities  :)

Had that X3DSound1_6 issue though... getting the latest DirectX update at microsoft's site fixed it in no time!!

It makes me think I will be able to play OFP2 as well  ;D ;D
Tomorrow will put FUEL and FC2 and maybe Flight Simulator X on the little toy to see how it plays.

No dice with Skype... upon install it'll get a "not a valid 32 bit app" message. Skype site is clear about that issue... no support for 64 bits OS whatsoever... it just won't do it  :'(

There is a Skype-like software that will run on Vista 64... I just don't know which one yet...  ::)

Thanks PZ for the help... will keep searching and be back here as soon as I find it!!
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

fragger

Hey JRD, congrats on the new toy, mate! :-X

JRD

Thanks fragger  :-X

So now I know the limits of my new lap top

ArmA 2... Quad Core, 512 GPU recomended... I can run it, lowest settings and stuttering... will w@&k on it to have a bettter, smooth gameplay.
FUEL... tweaked it all down and still stu-stu-stuttering... maybe it's too much for it
Burnout Paradise... smooth gameplay with high settings on a year and a half old game... great graphics though. I'll enjoy the game for sure.
FC2... just installed it... overall setting are low, but Real tree, Fire, Physics and Shadows (the most important ones) are very high and going smooth  ;D ;D
GTA IV... didn't even try it... it is too heavy for my PC to run it smooth...  :(
Any game 1-1,5 years old will sure run smooth, which gives me a wide set of choices...

Remember I'm buying a lap top in Brazil, so prices and options are far below of what users at US or Europe can get... still I did a good choice... Dell is one hell of a brand and it will stay with me for years and years.

During my search I found two main sources of great gaming lap tops.

Dell Alienware excellent lap tops but pricy... you get a top notch machine to run any game out now, but you pay for it...

Gateway also has great gaming lap tops and PCs... and cheaper than Dell.

If I were in the US I'd go for a Gateway... Dell has a name in the market, but Gateway can make you happy for less.....

Art Blade

at least you've got a machine and some games for it - Enjoy it and have fun :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

I've been checkin some of your recommendations... Hitman Blood Money and Kane and Lynch..... think I'll be happy with them?  ;D ;D ;D

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Just got HM-BM at STEAM for US$19,99...  ;D

I understand you can perform the assassinations in many different ways... is that correct? The cleaner is the kill, the better is the payment... it makes for great replay value!!
Graphics are outdated of course, but still great graphics, besides, gameplay seems very good, so I'm sure I won't be dissapointed  :)

Thanks for the heads up Art... an OWG member opinion is always trustworthy!!  :-X

Art Blade

hehe :)

HMBM usually gives you one or more targets per mission. That's it :) Meaning, it is totally up to you how you solve your problem... kill everyone, a few, or just the target(s)... The "rating" of your mission accomplished depends on how noisy and bloodthirsty you were. If no one noticed you and only the target bites the dust, you will be rewarded "silent assassin". The more ruckus you produce, the worse the rating will be, like psychopath, terrorist, professional etc. On higher difficulty levels, you will be remembered in the next mission - ie if you lost it in the previous mission, psychopath behaviour, if there were witnesses and/or surveillance video tapes, you will be in the newspapers with a more or less accurate description and identikit/photofit picture... the recognition value will then cause you to be spotted quickly in your next mission. If you have enough money, you an bribe people to "forget" what they saw, erasing your mistakes from previous missions. Or just replay the last mission trying to finish cleaner :) It is great fun and I have replayed the game countless times. Each and every mission can be solved in various ways, using guns, explosives, poison, kitchen knives, a piano cord... be "creative" :)

Oh, once you got a better weapon and once you upgraded that, you can go back to previous missions with your new toys, trying to get a better rating (and earn bonus money if you didn't finish "silent assassin" previously)

JRD

Quote from: Art Blade on September 11, 2009, 08:03:45 PM
Oh, once you got a better weapon and once you upgraded that, you can go back to previous missions with your new toys, trying to get a better rating (and earn bonus money if you didn't finish "silent assassin" previously)

Oh boy,,, now you just gave me something to aim at...........  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Art Blade

I just realised that this kind of freedom is similar to what you get in FC2, maybe that is why I return to playing HMBM every once in a while :)

PZ

I still have not been able to find that game in my local stores - will probably need to get it online.

Tags:
🡱 🡳