I'm buying a new lap top...  :)
So far the best cost / benefit is a Sony Vaio Vgn-fw270ae

Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 2,26 GHz
RAM - up to 4 GB DDR2
HD 320 GB
GPU - ATI Radeon HD 3470
Wide screen 16,4'' - 1920 x 1080 (16:9)
Vista, Blu Ray etc...........  8)
Seems like a winner for gaming, watching vids and working (excuse my bad language  ??? )

My question is about the ATI GPU... what is its memory (256, 512,1GB?)... been checking some forums but so far, nothing (or I can't understand what it means  :-[ ). All I know is that GPUs for lap tops might have the same numbers, but not the same performance as those on PCs.
The store didn't inform that on their site... so maybe it can be either 256 or 512.........
Can it run Arma2, FUEL, FarCry2?  ;D

Cheers... any help is apreciated  :-X
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

hmmm.... most of it sounds good, but I don't know about the graphics card.  You might check this article in the overclockers club.  They say that this processor is good for DX10, videos etc., but not to expect too high in the way of frame rates in games for the 3400 series gpus.  I don't know how that figures into laptop versions though

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Thanks a lot guys...
PZ's link gave me a good view of the ATI HD 3740.
Maybe not the best choice after all...... it says you can get "decent frame rates" using Crossfire to run two GPUs in parallel, which I won't, of course...  :(
As for the memory, I'll have to take a look at the store by myself. I'd have to go anyway if I choose to get this one.
Good thing is there's one close to my office downtown, so a short walk after lunch and it's done  ;)

We get so into internet these days I forget how it feels to have a face to face chat with a guy at a store......  ;)

PZ

I know that Alienware makes a laptop that is good for gaming.  I'm not recommending them of course, but you might check to see what graphics cards they are using if you are determined to get a laptop.  I'd still recommend building your own gaming desktop; it is so easy even a caveman (me) can do it.

You can say to your wife: "Dear, I'm going to build our own desktop PC because it will save us a lot of money in the long run because it won't be obsolete for quite a while"

JRD

The reason I'm getting a lap top is because I'm going on a long trip.

Alienware is deffo the best lap top money can buy... if you have that ammount of money that is..... very expensive in fact... but can run any game there is...

They use GeForces.

I was looking for something between Alienware and one of those regular ones you see people carrying. Problem is you can't configure a laptop like you can configue a PC.

Anyway... the search continues...

Cheers guys

JRD

Finally made my mind

DELL
- XPS Studio 13,3''
- Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo P9600 (2.66 GHz, 6 MB L2 cache, 1066 MHz FSB)
- Windows Vista® Home Premium SP1 Original 64-bit
- 4GB DDR3 1067MHz (2x2GB)
- NVIDIA GeForce 9500M 256Mb
- HD 320GB (7200RPM)

Blue tooth, integrated camera etc.........for an affordable price.  ;D ;D ;D

A good deal I'd say... may play whatever i want, even if tweaked down a bit, live chat with friends, process images (hopefully for the Apokalypsos project  ;) ) and, well... you know... the "W" word....(  ??? )

PZ

That sounds like it'll do the trick!  Especially because you need something to game and forum on while traveling  ;)

JRD

You are right...  :-X
The Core 2 Duo - 2,66 GHz - is a great processor and with the 256 MB nVidia GeForce on it, I'm sure it's a good gaming lap top... I wish I could set a 512 MB GPU on it, but no can't do... only what is available at the DELL site  :(
Also the 13,3'' screen could be bigger... the Sony Vaio was 16,4'' 1920 x 1080 16:9.... excellent, but not a good config for games...
An Alienware would be perfect for my needs, but its way too expensive. After a while it'll be my internet computer and the wife's w@&k machine, so I really don't need a beast with me right now...
Guess I got a very good deal... warranty valid in Brazil, so if it ever presents any malfunction, i can take it to a DELL dealer and have it fixed properly.
I'm pretty happy with it... have to wait a few weeks till I can test my games on it, but it's ok

PZ

Let us know when you do - I've always been interested in laptop gaming, but was leery due to the machine specifications in the past.

JRD

i will...
My plans for gaming are:
- Keep playing those games I do now (FUEL, A2, FC2 and hopefully GTA IV) with settings tweaked down a bit.
- Pray for an OFP2 smooth play with medium to minimal settings
- Buy some "old"games... Battlefield Bad Company is on my list... me and spaceboy seems to share the same taste for games and he highly recommended this one several times... Brothers in Arms too...

PZ

As processor intensive as ARMA2 seems to be, it will be interesting to see how it goes on the laptop  ;)

JRD

Overheating is the main issue...
I have a fan (those you place in front of yourself on a hot summer night) set one inch from my PC, right where the GPU is. I turn it at max speed and launch A2 or FUEL... will have to improvise something like this for sure.  ;)

PZ

I've seen a device that you put on your lap that holds the laptop - in it there are cooling fans - looks like it should w@&k, and are not expensive.

JRD

Yeah, I once read about those coolers but have forgotten... thanks for the heads up mate  :-X

PZ

Your comment reminded me that I just saw one at one of the local retailers - forgot about it until your comment sparked my memory  :-X

Hacko

It will be interesting to see if you can get GTA IV to run on that laptop. It is such a resource hog and badly coded, it still doesn't run great on  my computer. I have tried everything I can think of to get it to run better.

JRD

I used all your advices regarding GTA IV Hacko... and managed to get a better performance after all :-X  :-X ... but I still think it's quite slo-mo!!
I don't think it'll run on my new lap top, maybe with the lowest settings. But such a beautyful game deserves high settings...
Guess it's a game for computers like PZ's... i7 processor, 64 bits OS, lots of RAM, DX10... my portable toy is no match for his beast  ;)
Wait and see.............

PZ

My son actually recommended GTA IV - will pick it up if I get a good deal when visiting a store  :-X

JRD

GTA IV is just beautyful... truly a sandbox, open world game. Lots of things to do when not on a mission - hanging out with friends, looking for stunt jumps, dating... and has some twists in the story that might hook you.
Missions, however, are a bit linear. You have to do what and how you are told.
Knowing your taste for games, I'd say rent it first.
The GTA series are amongst my all time favorites, but I think you, PZ, may not like it.... I might be wrong though.  ;)

PZ

Thanks for the sound advice JRD  :-X

DKM2

What I always liked about GTA is the parody it makes of just about everything in society.
I just laugh and laugh, I can hardly play sometimes.
"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power..."

Hacko

I think PZ will like it. :-X

JRD

Quote from: JRD on August 11, 2009, 01:08:50 PM
- Buy some "old"games... Battlefield Bad Company is on my list... me and spaceboy seems to share the same taste for games and he highly recommended this one several times... Brothers in Arms too...

Err... just realised it's not on PC  :P
BFBC 2 will be though.
Anyway, been checking STEAM and my local retail store for good titles that might run on my lap top.... will have games to play for sure....  ;D ;D ;D

Quote from: DKM2 on August 12, 2009, 07:51:58 AM
What I always liked about GTA is the parody it makes of just about everything in society.
I just laugh and laugh, I can hardly play sometimes.

That's true DKM2... GTA IV is just hilarious sometimes... great voice acting and deep story and characters.
GTA San Andreas had Samuel L. Jackson as officer Tempenny and George Clinton as a radio DJ
Radio, TV and pedestrians are bizarre...

JRD

Well, well, well... typing on my new toy  :)

13,3' is not that small after all... and is truly portable. A friend of mine has a 17' screen and it is just too clumsy to be called portable.
I'm installing Arma 2 right now... will take a while cos it's being downloaded from STEAM at ~350kbps/s.
Tomorrow will have some free time to make some gaming tests on it... will let you guys know how it goes  :-X

One other question for you Vista 64 guys...

I just found out there is no Skype for 64 bits OS (my new lap top has Vista 64)... any idea of another piece of software (freeware) that can be used for long distance voice/video communication?

Tags:
🡱 🡳