(funny) Tactics and Tips

Started by Art Blade, April 11, 2009, 10:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

I decided to add the Article "Locations of Interest" about Dune Buggy locations (and "Sniper's Paradise" location) to the index because I no longer use a link to my articles in my signature.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

37) Higher reputation may make mercs trigger shy -or- Using a high reputation to enter out of bounds areas in towns.

I'm not sure if this is a tip or if it's really very funny but it made me grin when I pulled it off.

Hakim had sent me to Sephapane to grab the data packet from Greeves' bunk and because I had something come up here at home I set a save point so I could stop and attend to it right before I stormed the complex.

On my return I thought to myself, "Hmm with a recent save point I can explore the limits on what I can get away with here."

So with that in mind I strolled right in past the guards who became highly alert with my passing but other than a few off color comments about my ancestry and some of my biological functions made no move to stop me.

I marched straight upstairs, grabbed the dossier turned around and strode straight out of the compound with out a single shot being fired, though as I walked away I was holding my breath expecting a bullet in the back! They let me get away with it!

I checked my reputation level when I got back to my AT parked at the rail crossing for the North road out of Sephapane to the Dogon Village and it was solidly at 3 so I'm not sure if this being attempted at a lower rep level would w@&k or not but it might be worth a try for you.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

Anything goes, mandru :) I think this might be worth a try, as some of our readers may be at a point they think they tried it all or nothing so far. Always good to read about something that is kind of "off track" or inventive.. thanks :)

But I don't recall that mission you're talking about (been into other games for some time now). Would you be so nice and give a few more details, please? I really don't remember "a data packet"
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

Sure Art, it's not one of the faction missions but rather a Buddy mission.

Hakim's first mission is to the watch tower at the pipeline to kill the guy who mugged him. This is his second mission to steal a packet of documents from Greeves' bunk which is upstairs at the APR building with the high walls on the western half of Sefapane.

When you return the documents to Hakim at Mike's he says "Mbantui will be pleased, I know that I am.  It's good doing business with you."

Beyond that there's not much memorable about this specific task other that it sends you upstairs to grab the papers off the bed on the floor above Greeves' office.  Sorry if that's spotty but it is a make w@&k assignment that's not much more than an excuse to send you trekking completely across the game map to fulfill a mission requirement.

It is 1 of 4 scripted times in the game you get to shoot up Sefapane.

1. This time related to Hakim's 2nd mission
2. Nitrous truck to blow up the garage
3. Target of opportunity from cell tower mission
4. Marty's buddy mission (when he appears in the South) to kill an arms dealer at the UFLL HQ
- mandru

Art Blade

Thank you :) I'll give it a try with either a savegame or a new playthrough  :-X

mandru

For no real reason other than the fact I'd earlier missed the chance to shoot up Sefapane one more time, I went back into Hakim's second mission as listed above while the save file was still in my backups but this time I went in guns blazing.  I went straight up grabbed the documents and back out again to where a swarm of angry mercs were gathering.

Oddly enough through the front gate I could see the opposing faction's men strolling around their area completely unconcerned about the rumpus the neighbors were raising.  Only half the town was on alert.

Ever ready to experiment when I notice something interesting I resisted killing any of the angry mercs around me and ran over to the opposing forces compound to see if I could get a merc war started.

Voorhees' men were strolling around as if there wasn't a care in the world.  I positioned myself, with them in the middle, so that shots that were coming from the angry mercs were hitting and eventually killing them but they never raised objection.

They would stand and stare at me with only the occasional question "What do you want?" while an enemy counterpart was shooting them in the back with a shotgun or an M-249 SAW.

Oh well, no hope of stirring up a merc war that way while the pax is on in Sefapane.
- mandru

Art Blade

;D ;D ;D

Sefapane is a funny town. I've always liked to play evil tricks on those mercs there and always tried to make use of those two halves. I remember how often I was amazed at how one half could just wander around innocently while I was gunning down the other half within earshot  of their brethren.

fragger

Nice (and funny) tips and info back there, mandru, cheers ;D :-X

Speaking of Sefapane, I discovered the other day that you can get up into the big pile of rocks outside the gates at the west end of town. You have to begin your ascent on the side of the outcrop away from the road, towards the far end of it from town. It's not a bad view from up there, but be careful you don't fall off - as my rescue buddy will tell you, it can be a lethal drop.

Art Blade

In the surrounding area of Sefapane there are a couple of places you can climb around in. And fall off.  ;D

mandru

38) Kicking propane tanks

Disclaimer **Warning this was experimented with while playing under the influence of the command line edit for God mode! I'm sure attempting in normal play mode will deliver damage so be aware of your health level before trying and of course that will be at your own risk.;)  **

Here's another minor discovery (minor but they sure do add up  ;D).

Usually I avoid or just outright shoot propane tanks for the fun of it and as far as kicking a propane tank my perspective has always been "Bump it once shame on me, bump it twice Flame On Me!"  :o  But I've found ignited spinning propane tanks have different properties than the typical propane tank.

I found this while using the command line edit for God mode during a recent rampage run.  I had shot one of the small propane tanks causing it to ignite and go into that spin thing they do before blowing up.  Because I wasn't concerned about the blast I walked over the spinning propane tank and the game registered it as a kick that sent the tank flying off over the horizon and I thought "Hmm".   8)

With some experimentation (and a lot of driving around trying to find fresh propane tanks) I found that I could by bumping the propane tank into position I could line it up with a tall enough back stop, target or into the doorway of a building so that it wouldn't just fly off into the distance, shoot it, run into it to launch it and watch the fun.

Maybe not too terribly useful as the kick is a bit unpredictable but blowing up things in unique new ways is just too much fun to not share it.   ;D
- mandru

Art Blade

Quote from: mandru on August 21, 2010, 08:05:56 PMa kick that sent the tank flying off over the horizon and I thought "Hmm".   8)

I like that line.  ;D

Nice tip, and yeah.. should try that myself  :) :-X

PZ

fragger

I love the stuff you think of to try doing, mandru :-D  :-X

JRD

Try stick as many IEDs as you can in one of those tanks, set it on fire, kick it towards a guard post or an enemy infested area like Weelegol, Dogon Village or Mokuba and set the IED off!

A JetIED bomb... coming from out of nowhere zooming and setting everything around on fire before exploding!

I would like to see the look on their faces if you manage to pull that one! Actually, I`d like to see the look in YOUR face if you manage to pull that one!  ;D ;D ;D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

mandru

Heh heh heh!  :-X

Now I've got something to go back in and try.  If the spinning flame doesn't set the IEDs off in my face it's possible that might just w@&k.

Just remember to use something other than an AS50 to start them off because the tanks skip straight to the blow up bit when hit by one of those.

That line of thinking makes me wonder if the larger long tanks for welding that are scattered around wouldn't do much the same thing with less chance of premature detonation.  Sure you can't aim them but adding a bit of extra explosive power to them when they eventually go off stacks up as a Positive in my book no matter how I add it up.  ;D
- mandru

Art Blade

mmosu

Good ideas guys  :-X  Those welding tanks seems a bit more unwieldly - i've seen them shoot off before but they seem extremely unstable, might be pretty hard to "aim" one.  By the way Art, does this thread hold the title for longest in OWG history? 50+ pages has to at least put it in the top 5!

Art Blade

it actually is on top of all categories :) If you go to the OWG front page and check (click) the forum stats, there you'll see what I mean  :)

Art Blade

We've now got those last two tips on the index, thanks mandru  :)

By the way, I started this topic the same day I registered with this site and it keeps growing ever since..  it's the most viewed and most replied to topic of all boards on OWG.

Thanks, guys  :) :-X

mandru

- mandru

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on August 24, 2010, 10:11:54 AM
We've now got those last two tips on the index, thanks mandru  :)

By the way, I started this topic the same day I registered with this site and it keeps growing ever since..  it's the most viewed and most replied to topic of all boards on OWG.

Thanks, guys  :) :-X
You've been one of the best contributors to the site, Art - thank you  :-X

Art Blade

TheStranger

Ok so I think this is the best location, and I am sure most of the users will know this tips, but I came across one recently I didn't know. And there are also two tips I forgot or didn't know they existed. Maybe its useful for new players. Didn't find anything here about that in this thread.

So I read my FC2 manual which came with the Collector's Edition and came across three things (the first are the ones I knew already about but not from the start e.g. my first playthrough)

1. Monocle: If you have your map open press the right mouse button and you can scout your surroundings and mark "targets" like snipers or ammo crates. Ok nothing new cause it's in the tutorial, but that I forgot during my many playthroughs.

2. Baseball-Slide: If you are sprinting and press the crouch key you perform a baseball-slide, which lets you slide a few meters in crouch stance and it looks very cool.

3. Flip over or turn up your vehicle: This was completely new to me. If your vehicle crashes and lies on the roof you can turn it around by pressing the use key - tried it and worked. Maybe it is a common ability and everyone knows it but I haven't read it here and didn't know our protagonist is possible to perform this.

PZ

Good points to post - I recall a long time ago that a few members didn't know that the headlights could be turned off, while others took it for granted that everyone knew how to do it.  :-X

Art Blade

Hehe, a new entry :) Thanks, mate :)

All three tips can be found in the tutorial, the manual and the key map (if you want to reassign your keys). In other words, accessible through the game, so I didn't list those.

Tags:
🡱 🡳