(funny) Tactics and Tips

Started by Art Blade, April 11, 2009, 10:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

say that again twenty-five times, fast.  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

Here's a funny tip, maybe even a two for the price of one.

33. How to make Reuben get angry and swear at you.

When you get the call to rescue Reuben at the air field and you've cleared all the mercs, when you enter the hanger Reuben will say to you "I'm over here" but if you turn to the left and walk over to the woman crouched just inside the door he gets angry and scolds you with "G#@ Damn your selfishness, get over here and listen to what I have to say".

I just got this and it cracked me up.

2. (I've not come across this here at OWG before so I'll add it) *Working the double cross.* In every play through after you've escaped the prison  either Greaves' or Voorhees' will call from Sephapane and after meeting with you they will send you out to kill the one surviving opposing faction leader with a statement meet them back at the main office in Mosato Selao when things have settled down. The only problem is when you get to the office it's not the one you were expecting behind the desk.

Feeling slighted and disgruntled at being left behind the random lieutenant wants you to go find and kill his newly promoted boss and the equal he now sees pulling ahead of him in rank due to the new arrangements.

When you complete that run surprise! Reuben calls from Mike's bar at the marina and there's another slighted and disgruntled lieutenant wanting you to do the same for him.

There will be one opportunity to pull a double cross. When you get to the Diamond mine or Sepoko make sure to save before entering the office where Greaves or Voorhees are conferring with their underling. The dialog you get during the office confrontations sometimes can assist you in selecting which of the two (boss or underling) to shoot first.

Sometimes the dialog is a red herring to get you to waste time so the one remaining can get a draw on you. If you shoot one and the other starts shooting at you, you either picked the wrong one to shoot or they are not the pair with the double cross option this play through. You can return to a save and try again, shooting the other of the pair first. Some times it's the first boss underling pair that offer the double cross and sometimes it's the second but in either case it can be boss or underling that offers the deal. If one of the pair is dead and the other has raised his hands that's the one you want.

Coming from Greaves' team you have to shoot from the roof of the building through a window to perform the double cross.

When it's Voorhees' team you walk up to the faction door man and he gives you the spiel "Orders man, I gotta take your guns and all" but when he should pat you down he leans in close to you, gives you a big cheesy grin and a thumbs up, then lets you through with all your gear!

Once you've done the job, the whole town kicks over to alert and they're out for blood so make sure you've planned your favorite escape route including a well placed get away vehicle but at least there are none of the RPGs going off around you while you are fleeing as in the Weapons Barge mission.

Good luck and enjoy!

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

Thanks for tip one, mandru :-X - made it 33 on the index  ;D

Hehehe, yeah, I've done that and heard Reuben do that to me, but unfortunately you have to go back and listen to him :)

Quote from: mandru on October 27, 2009, 12:15:40 AM
2. (I've not come across this here at OWG before so I'll add it)
Thanks a lot for that elaborate tip  :) If you want to read a less elaborate yet previous version, that includes a slightly different approach and shows how to with some pics, please check our "How to" series: House cleaning (Port Selao, Bowa) right here  ;D  ;D

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

Ah! I hadn't come across that yet so I tossed it in.

But then hey! I made the index for #33.   ;D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

16,000+ posts, it's virtually impossible to accidently find a single information. If you don't know the right keywords, that is. I found it because I knew the keyword "mine" and the author (me), so an advanced search gave me only like three hits, one of them was the right topic  ;)

Art Blade

Quote from: mandru on October 27, 2009, 06:55:35 AM
But then hey! I made the index for #33.   ;D

I added a comment to #30 on the index post, because you started from there on with many big posts containing very interesting observations. Although I didn't make each one a tip, they should be accessible and not be forgotten  :-X

PZ

This has to be the best FC2 tips thread on the Internet today thanks to the excellent observational and reporting skills of OWG members  :-X

Art Blade

Art Blade

Quote from: PZ on September 25, 2009, 11:34:35 AMOn the topic of cell towers, my favorite in Bowa is the one east of Mosate Selao - past the Polytechnic.  I always have fun with the mercs at the post with the water tower, and love to try sniping techniques on the RPG merc on the east side of the river.  Add the bonus of an ATP to play with near the cell tower and I have loads of fun just getting to the cell tower.

I've been thinking a lot about which cell tower I like, if any, since you first came up with "favourite" cell tower. I've tried your tower, too. I don't like that part of Bowa much (or, not yet, hehe) because there is nothing around there worth a trip for me. The tower in the south near MS-Pipeline is a lot of w@&k due to various GP plus a mortar merc. Too much w@&k for a cell tower. Then in the north, quite difficult to reach, a long way and away from anything halfways close to fun. So the remaining cell tower is in the west. And now I know why I started using that one: There are many landmarks we know and like, such as Port Selao, Post Office, Ranger Station and perhaps a trip to Sefapane,  rewarding patrols of all kinds, including Grenade Launcher ATs (GLATs) Jeep Liberty, and close to Port Selao the uncharted GP with the red Wrangler. Also, quite a bit of nicely reachable safehouses. My usual route to the cell tower starts with exiting Port Selao via the southern route crossing the bridge with the red Wrangler, passing a flammable GP where I usually meet an AT, passing PO with a GLAT as icing on the cake, taking out two or three Wrangler Patrols on my way to the GP near the final destination, cell tower, which is easily to reach. Sometimes a trip to Sefapane, because it's close and I don't need to cross Dogon Village, and then back :) Oh, and no annoying rocketeers (RPG or Carl Gs) on the way :) Also, from Marina to Port Selao, the eastern route with Datsun Dummies and a .50 AT is a walk in the park, too.  :)

Second thoughts about this post: continue reading here

raistlinmajere8

Alright well.... one of my favorite tactics ever has to be using the Molotov's to start fires. It just works wonders!!! Everytime I'm sniping, I always use either the crossbow or the Molotov's to start a fire somewhere next to the people I'm sniping. This distracts them, and gets them all to come out into the open, usually. Next is all just history.... Yea. Sniping is beastly in this game.

Thats all I got now, mainly because I'm tired. But, once I start playing, I'm sure I'll think of some awesome stuff.  :-*

Art Blade

heh, I once threw a molotov at a guy and set him on fire -- saved me the bullet  ;D

raistlinmajere8

Quote from: Art Blade on November 29, 2009, 02:16:00 PM
heh, I once threw a molotov at a guy and set him on fire -- saved me the bullet  ;D

That is always fun haha. I always like to bounce my frag's off of their faces, it really gets there attention.  ;)

Art Blade

lol, that does w@&k indeed, and now that you mention it, I realise it's exactly what I do most of the time: Throw grenades at them  ;D

PZ

Quote from: raistlinmajere8 on November 29, 2009, 12:49:10 PM
Alright well.... one of my favorite tactics ever has to be using the Molotov's to start fires. It just works wonders!!! Everytime I'm sniping, I always use either the crossbow or the Molotov's to start a fire somewhere next to the people I'm sniping. This distracts them, and gets them all to come out into the open, usually. Next is all just history.... Yea. Sniping is beastly in this game.

Thats all I got now, mainly because I'm tired. But, once I start playing, I'm sure I'll think of some awesome stuff.  :-*

Even though it seems a lame weapon at first glance, you might try the flare pistol - you can shoot it relatively accurately to start fires, and you can also shoot it directly at a merc to set him ablaze, which then continues the spread of fire.  I can recall spending many hours of game play with the flare gun as one of my weapons.  ;D

JRD

Needless to say its a great pleasure to hit a merc square in the chest with that flare gun and watch as he run and scream.... sweeeeeeeeeeeet  ;D ;D ;D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

Yeah, the only thing missing would be tar and feathers  ;D

retiredgord

The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

Art Blade

34) Mosate Selao Buggy

If you don't have any DLC, you cannot drive into town with your tiny ATV. But I found out that the dune buggy is just small enough to squeeze through the gaps of the concrete barriers in Mosate Selao, and that offers a great opportunity to add extra explosive power to an IED, and, if you stick IEDs to your buggy before you drive "into town," the mercs won't even take notice that you're driving around in a big trojan horse. Leave the buggy, leave town, and blow it up remotely :)

Comes in handy for those side missions if you let one of the faction leaders live in the TaeMoCo Mine who offers you a mission in Selao...

[smg id=1732 align=center width=400]

Art Blade

Just on a sidenote, it is so funny to watch the mercs in Port Selao, they are afraid of that buggy! They utter those sounds of surprise and mild shock, like they sometimes do when a molotov explodes near them. When I got out of the buggy, a couple of exclamations made me chuckle  ;D

You've got to drive carefully, the mercs won't step aside, and if you accidently run one of them over, they'll tell you very clearly what they always thought of a cease fire agreement  ;D

Art Blade

Oh, one more tip: If you think you can't drive around a concrete wall, turn your buggy around and try again backwards. The turn radius is different then and you can drive around almost every small obstacle and through most gaps. Also, you can drive up some of the stairs :)

Art Blade

35) Avoiding Detection (sneak kills)

I've tried this with a GP in Leboa where 6 mercs are stationed (it's the explosives GP south of the arms dealer in the west, with a railroad crossing).

I've observed the GP from a hidden and not so close position to find out how many mercs belonged to it and then I observed their movements with the scope of my dart rifle.

After that I waited for a moment when 5 mercs were positioned in a way that they didn't see the last one. Or, in other words, everyone has to look away from a single merc.

That single merc I killed with a silenced weapon, and none of his companions noticed. Of course, they walk around patrolling small areas, and eventually one of them saw the dead merc. Because they didn't hear the shot and because no one had seen the kill, they were alerted only for a very short time, looking around a bit and returned to their original positions.

Then I did the same thing, pick a merc who was outside of his conpanions' vision, and killed him. Waited until they found him, waited until they calmed down, and then killed the next and so on. I've actually managed to kill all of them without a single shot of return fire :)

The simplest version of that tactic is a two-men patrol, you kill from behind: First the one walking behind, then the one walking ahead, they'll never know what happened.

So the alert system is bound to a visual trigger. They'll all know instantly someone died when one of them spots a dead buddy, and if anyone saw you doing it, all of them will home in on you. As long as you can avoid being watched while you kill, you have a good chance to get away. If they don't even see that someone got killed, your chance is even better.

Art Blade

36) The door gap trick

Some doors just don't close tight. Many of the safehouses have doors like this one -- view from inside, so you can better recognise the gap:

[smg id=1734 align=center width=400]

Now, I use that to my personal advantage. I hate the constant noise the light generator produces inside those safehouses. You know, there's always a lamp behind the door humming. With my M-79 handheld grenade launcher, I aim at the gap (I walk up to the door as close as possible, from the outside, until I can't go any further) and launch one grenade inside through the gap. Heavy shaking and rattling inside, then silence... SILENCE! I mean, that's where my bed is!  ;D

JRD

Quote from: Art Blade on December 06, 2009, 06:04:12 AM
35) Avoiding Detection (sneak kills)

I want to add one thing to that tip:
Make sure you land a headshot... not only its funny, but they don't make a sound when they die... if you hit someone in the chest, he'll go ggggnnnnniiiiaaaaarrrrr and even if nobody sees him being shot, it can draw some attention and blow your cover.

I realised that when silent assaulting PetroSahel or the Northern Railyard at night  ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

very nice, JRD  ;D  :-X Indeed, it may attract attention we don't want if they scream at the top of their voices  :)

hehe, I like your "ggggnnnnniiiiaaaaarrrrr"  ;D ;D ;D

fragger

Quote from: Art Blade on December 06, 2009, 01:37:12 PM
Now, I use that to my personal advantage. I hate the constant noise the light generator produces inside those safehouses. You know, there's always a lamp behind the door humming. With my M-79 handheld grenade launcher, I aim at the gap (I walk up to the door as close as possible, from the outside, until I can't go any further) and launch one grenade inside through the gap. Heavy shaking and rattling inside, then silence... SILENCE! I mean, that's where my bed is!  ;D

I'd hate to see what you do to a dripping tap ;D

Tags:
🡱 🡳