(funny) Tactics and Tips

Started by Art Blade, April 11, 2009, 10:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandru

It's funny how easy it is to miss simple things that in hindsight seem obvious.  ::)

I was 50+ times through the game before I figured out that when you are driving the mouse buttons allowed quick glances right, left and behind (both buttons depressed at once) but that was probably because I almost never drove in most areas of the game before coming to OWG.  This is where I learned a few tricks of the trade to make it a survivable skill.  A lot of my knowledge about out of the way areas in FC2 comes directly from hoofing it almost every where I went.

Learning that I could switch from the driving to gunner position by hitting the "C for Change" button ("C for Crouch" when on foot") in an AT revolutionized my play style.  :-X

I didn't receive a manual with my copy of FC2 and I never thought to look at the key map as Art mentioned.  It wasn't until I came across remapping controls mentioned here in the forums that there was control information that could be picked up even if I didn't change anything.   ;D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

TheStranger

Hehe yes the glances. I figured that out by accident. First thought was only wtf? :D I wonder which things Far Cry is still hiding from us. Maybe the unknown buddy mission  :-D

PZ

Funny thing is that there is a suspicious reference to a "Black mamba" buddy mission in some of the xml that we discussed some time ago.  :-()  Never went anywhere as far as I could tell.

Binnatics

Quote from: TheStranger on April 02, 2012, 06:36:48 AM
1. Monocle: If you have your map open press the right mouse button and you can scout your surroundings and mark "targets" like snipers or ammo crates. Ok nothing new cause it's in the tutorial, but that I forgot during my many playthroughs.
I found out this trick because my graphics card (or something else in my rig) was playing tricks on me. I remember having weird artifacts and mercs who were jumping like pogo sticks. Shortly after the tutorial mission, where you could 'marc' certain points of interest like ammo crates or health stacks, I ran up to the guard post. The artifacts were making it hard to do a regular approach to the guardpost, so I used the monocle to 'get' the info I wanted from a distance. Then the game told me "Guard post unlocked" and I said to myself :D :D :D
All the sweat I've spoiled to get some lousy guard posts unlocked @#%!! 8-X

Quote from: TheStranger on April 02, 2012, 06:36:48 AM
2. Baseball-Slide: If you are sprinting and press the crouch key you perform a baseball-slide, which lets you slide a few meters in crouch stance and it looks very cool.

That is very interesting, and something I didn't know of. Great ability :-X I liked that option in other shooters, since it was a way to tackle an enemy or 'slide-into-hide'. I'll try it next playthrough.

@ Mandru: Damn, you ARE a FC2 veteran!!! Over 50 playthroughs and counting :o
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

TheStranger

To be honest: I don't know if you can tackle an enemy with the baseball-slide; never tried it. Does anyone here know that?

fragger

I haven't tried that but I have a feeling you'll just bump into them, they'll say something like "WTF" and that will be it. Then they'll shoot you :-()

I certainly wouldn't try that in my current 'thru without saving the game first because I'm playing on Infamous and that sounds like a sure fire way to get a life-threatening amount of lead into my system :-\\

mandru

Quote from: Binnatics on April 02, 2012, 12:21:23 PM
@ Mandru: Damn, you ARE a FC2 veteran!!! Over 50 playthroughs and counting :o

Spoiler
That was the count when I joined OWG.  I lost actual count somewhere around 120 or so (quite a while back) but my trips through the game started taking a lot less time once I started driving everywhere.  Oh that and using non-degrading weapons, infinite ammo and godmode. ;)
- mandru

nexor

[smg id=4280 type=av]

CAUTION ! ! ! !  Please do not attempt this act if you do not have the high jump mod   :-D

mandru

There was a thread about this activity over here:

http://www.openworldgames.org/owg/forums/index.php?topic=1303.msg20504#msg20504

I was doing this without high jump but you've got to time it so that you don't let the bumper touch you.  ;)
- mandru

nexor

I tried to jump over the AT so I could shoot them from behind    ;D

mandru

Whereas I was landing on the hood and targeting the driver.  Jumping completely over them would have been cool.  :-()
- mandru

nexor

[smg id=4281 type=av]

Look Behind you a$$hole !!!

Binnatics

It takes ages for me to download these vids ??? :(

Heheh, good tactic Nexor :-X :-X ^-^
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

mandru

- mandru

PZ

nexor

[smg id=4379 type=av]

Catching a ride   :-D

PZ

mandru

- mandru

Art Blade

Since this is the funny tactics and tips topic, I'd very much like to know what the tip or tactic used in the vid is, how you do it and so on :) My guess is that you used an ignore cheat and jumped on a patrol AT :)

Erm, "P"atrol, Assault Truck, a PAT? Why the hell did we never come up with that abbreviation?  :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

nexor

Sorry everyone, I was busy modifing the posting when we got a power failure so I couldn't finish it, also I didn't know where and if I should post it, I just got the idea of trying it out and it looked funny riding on the hood of an AT.

As it was done using a cheat I suppose I shouldn't have posted it here as it cannot be pulled off without a cheat

PZ

No worries - I think we all knew it had to be some kind of cheat else the driver would have been blasting away instead of driving.  :-()

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Art Blade

Thanks Hell Diguner :)

I noticed you were checking this topic and for fun and giggles I clicked on one of those tips (after a bloody long time since I last did that) only to find out the links were pointing to our old forum. Worked, but looked weird. All links have been fixed now.

Why did nobody tell me they had been broken for apparently a LONG time.. well, it's fixed, that's what counts.

Have fun, guys  ;)

Hell Diguner

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Tags:
🡱 🡳