old FC2 vids / "pre-release" vids

Started by Art Blade, January 30, 2010, 05:42:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Hey, I found no place I could post this, so I thought it is close to "memorable" as in nostalgic... I just watched this vid I accidently stumbled upon, and I'd like to show it to you :) Ahhh... those were the times. Nicely done, I recognise some of the places and gameplay, but a lot is "cutscene" style, the dialogue doesn't exist in the game that finally made it, yet it is somehow cool. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAmg61qzrcI
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

Also nice to watch when the game was reviewed and recommended back then, this one is covering pretty much everything important and I think it's fair and good. Funny the remark about Crysis which was thought to be competing with FC2 (or the other way round) but in my case, Crysis was good only for so long, and then FarCry2 hit me and never let me go  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzJ8xQFVXck
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

wexer9

Gameplay looked about the same, but the characters and story looked completely different in that video. Too bad, the characters looked badass!

mmosu

Very interesting find  :-X
It makes the game look like something totally different than what it ended up being - I like what we ended up with better  ;D
The E3 2008 trailer is another good one - I don't think anyone had a clue what we were in for back then!  It's interesting for me to look at these videos, because when I bought FC2 I had no prior knowledge of what the game was like except for a glowing review by IGN that I had read.  At the time I had my PS3 for about 6 months, had played Assassin's Creed and Metal Gear Solid 4 through multiple times, and I was hungry for my first true FPS experience on the new system.  I read the review and was attracted to the open world nature, extreme length, and overall replay value, so I went out that afternoon to my local Gamestop and picked up a used copy (who in the world sells back a copy of FC2!!!!).  Well, to make a long story short, the disc didn't leave my machine for the entire summer, and I have absolutely no reservations in saying that it is in my top 5 favorite games of all time!!  Oh, and it's also the game that led me to OWG  :-X

Art Blade

nice anecdote, mmosu  :) And yes, how on earth could one want to sell FC2!  ;D

JRD

In the first video you see some of the characters... who is "The Veteran" at about 1:17 mins? He sounds American...
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

JRD

Quote from: Art Blade on January 30, 2010, 05:58:56 AM
Also nice to watch when the game was reviewed and recommended back then, this one is covering pretty much everything important and I think it's fair and good. Funny the remark about Crysis which was thought to be competing with FC2 (or the other way round) but in my case, Crysis was good only for so long, and then FarCry2 hit me and never let me go  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzJ8xQFVXck

Hey... thats THE video review that sold me the game!!!

Aaaahhh sweet memories...  8)

Art Blade

Quote from: JRD on January 30, 2010, 08:26:53 PM
In the first video you see some of the characters... who is "The Veteran" at about 1:17 mins? He sounds American...

Walton Purefoy. In the game he doesn't wear a baseball cap :)

check this post here to see him (wearing leather jacket with a skull sticker on his arm, remember?) :)

mandru

I think the veteran at 1:17 in the first video is Purefoy the APR lieutenant that sends you out to scrap salvage to blow the air compressors but he's wearing a stalking cap instead of his usual look and he's portayed as being a lot less uh.. cool, cocky / I'm not finding the right word.

It's Purefoy's voice also but they've had him read the part with different nuances.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

fragger

Very cool vid, and very cool find, Art :-X

It was intruiging to see the "titles" they gave the various characters as they appear in the trailer: "The Freelancer" (Kouassi), "The Handler" (Vorhees), "The Rebel" (Tambossa), etc. It hints at a plot complexity that became somewhat simplified, or discarded altogether, before the game was released, but that may have just been a promotional gimmick.

If I wasn't a fan already, that vid would have guided me into becoming one ;D

JRD

Quote from: Art Blade on January 30, 2010, 09:30:04 PM
Quote from: JRD on January 30, 2010, 08:26:53 PM

Walton Purefoy. In the game he doesn't wear a baseball cap :)

check this post here to see him (wearing leather jacket with a skull sticker on his arm, remember?) :)

Ah... seeing him from another angle I recognise the ba$t@rd!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Art Blade

good comments, guys :)

I think there was more to it, not just a promotional trick. For instance, the "buddy history increased" message if you heal your buddy or accomplish his mission, and the reputation increase you get from some missions. Apart from verbal merc reactions, the reputation has no influence on the current game, and the buddies "w@&k" all the same, they will always rescue you and always give you their missions. No meaning behind "buddy history" but a simple counter of how many times you interacted with them. So the game still, occasionally, shows traces of a bigger game.

wexer9

Indeed...they could have done some cool things with some of these game mechanics...or modders could have if they released an SDK. ::)

Art Blade

Here, in the pop-up immediately before your tutorial is over, you can see there is an explanation that does refer to something that doesn't exist: "other side missions" that reward you with arms. The arms dealer missions are explicitely mentioned above that, so those missions can't be the same thing. At least I think that's what it means, but I may be wrong :)

[smg id=1923 align=center width=400]

deadman1

I think those "other side missions" are the buddy missions you get at the bar. The devs probably changed them to only give you rep, or in the case of the underground missions, malariapills. Somebody forgot to change the text on the message though.

wexer9

Quote from: deadman on January 31, 2010, 01:22:09 PM
I think those "other side missions" are the buddy missions you get at the bar. The devs probably changed them to only give you rep, or in the case of the underground missions, malariapills. Somebody forgot to change the text on the message though.

Don't forget Assassination missions, which give you the diamonds to buy arms. ;)

Art Blade

alright, I see :) thanks for the replies

wexer9

...but I still agree it's probably referring to cut content. :P

Art Blade

lol

When I was on my very first playthrough (when you still read those pop-ups), I thoght wow, cool, there are side missions with extra weapons! And I wondered what good stuff that might be...  :( Nothing. Well, I got over it soon  :)

spaceboy

I had never watched a video of the game before picking it up, but I had read a preview in GameInformer that sold me on it, clearly I was not disspointed.  My PS3 was new also and had only played MGS4 and BFBC, before it saw FC2.  I was blown away by this game.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

So were the mercs, once I started to play. All time favourite (so far) I've just started yet another playthrough  :-X

wexer9

Quote from: Art Blade on January 31, 2010, 02:46:59 PM
So were the mercs, once I started to play. All time favourite (so far) I've just started yet another playthrough  :-X

LOL, that was hilarious, Art! ;D

Art Blade

cheers, mate  :)

congrats on making top gunner (100th post)  :) :-X

wexer9

Holy crap, I didn't even realize I had! :o

Thanks! :)

mandru

:-X @ wexer9

A thought about content in the game we'll probably never know about.

I once bought a cheap Texas Instruments calculator for around $15 and after a couple months it was dropped and the metal faceplate popped off.

There behind the template cut and model number printed $15 calculator face were about twice as many functioning bubble switches set into the body of the calculator!

Only the buttons that were supposed to be on the $15 calculator were cut through and equipped with the little rubber chicklet key buttons. All the rest were hidden behind the metal faceplate but were still there none the less. Besides the different faceplate and having fewer rubber buttons there was no difference between my calculator and the Texas Instruments $135 top of the line series model. It cost TI just as much to produce my cheap calculator as the expensive one!

Are there features in the Far Cry2 game code that have their functionality blocked? Did a rapidly approaching release deadline cause game features to be buried in those final days of preparation?

Unless one of the developers eventually leak access codes or back door key ports we'll probably never know. I keep half an eye for that but it hasn't happened so far and now this far down the road as time goes on it becomes less likely.  :(

Edit Insert (I left out this key story info  :-[) I received a free copy of FC2 with the video card I selected when I had my computer built. It came in a paper sleeve with no support material and if the copy of Halo2 that came with my CPU selection had run properly I might have never loaded FC2.  Insert end

I was in a store that had the boxed computer games yesterday. There was a copy of FC2 for $20 on the shelf so I had to look the box over to see how it was presented at the point of sale and the game described on the box was literally a far cry from the gem I've come to enjoy so much. Sadly it did have the distinct air of rushed release to it.  :-\

Hey, FC2 game developers! If you happen to come across this, you've got a group here that are still actively enjoying this game and would love to get their hands on access codes, Easter eggs or any other sweet little game bits that you worked on but was kicked under the rug at the last minute and can be unlocked in this genuinely admirable w@&k.

It never hurts to toss it out.  ;D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Tags:
🡱 🡳