old FC2 vids / "pre-release" vids

Started by Art Blade, January 30, 2010, 05:42:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

haha, yes... given they did it well and additionally delivered those extra missions and map  ;)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

Wish list for FC3, I'd like to see a utility that would allow the creation of publishable single player or team cooperative missions. Head to Head? Well not so much. I'd allow it but wouldn't use that part of it.  :P

Build a location from the ground up. Create buildings or select them from a library and assemble them to form towns, fortresses or even take a mountain side with buildings on the face but a maze of tunnels sunk back into it's depths that have to be navigated to obtain an objective. Of course every thing you need to complete the mission is in place but you might have to search a bit for it.

Fully populate the sandbox with mercs (there can be whole battalions of them) that have autonomous AI but can be keyed to hold a position so as to not wander off task and leave a GP unguarded but there would be some mercs that don't have specific assignments other than when they become aware that there are intruders they kick into search and destroy mode.

Player cooperation and pre-planning of things like which team members are going to carry which weapons. Full coverage would be essential because it would be sad to get half way through a run and find out that no one equipped a highly accurate silent weapon and one lone guard if not handled properly can scream for help and bring the entire base of 250 mercs down on you and if it happens to be an item recovery mission the enemy can destroy or flee with your objective and the mission fails.

I like the thought of starting a mission with 5 to 10 players in an online lobby where team mates who have downloaded the mission file assemble as their computers are synced up for the run and briefing is given. Weapons would be selected there in the lobby and when all are ready they step through the lobby exit and are inserted into the scenario.

You may find yourself looking down a cargo net ladder into a rubber raft with an electric motor from miles offshore or wearing frogman suits and re-breathers and have to swim in through mines. You may find yourself in an aircraft to be air dropped or you could find yourself on a cliff ledge with a hang glider for each of you but with a quick glance at your hand held map you see where you need to go.

Same game physics, same mechanics, same controls same comfortable look and feel but allowing cooperative team play against overwhelming odds that may take a few restarts to crack the secrets of succeeding by meeting objectives and bringing everyone out alive.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Now, there's something I'd easily pay $60 for  :-X  ;)

Art Blade

You guys may want to suggest those ideas to the devs of OFP3 :)

Sounds quite a military setting. Personally, I liked the original ideas of the FC2 devs, like a handheld compas and a watch and a map, those mercs were a little bit rougher (hear the voices in the background of the long demo?) Basically, I'd like to get a little of the original ideas in FC2 that were polished off... it used to look more like an adventurer's environment, with the opportunity to meet people (buddies) and interact with them, bond with them, and once in a while take on a merc job from factions (your choice when and which)... ahhhhh...  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

Quote from: JRD on February 02, 2010, 01:11:09 PM
Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on February 02, 2010, 12:09:21 PM
Yeah, there's all sorts of things I think were left out for whatever reason. The Jack Carver (Carter? whatever his name was) from the first Far Cry was supposed to be in the game, and then there's the naked women textures I found....

I read some guys asking for Jack Carver (pretty sure thats his name  ;) ) but it was obviously because of FC1, no actual reason for that.
Did you read somewhere he'd be in the game? Like a game mag or a preview of some sort?
Any idea how?
Just curious!!

There are Jack Carver textures in the game files, never used, along with those naked women. Who knows what they originally had planned? I think I heard somewhere that FC2 was actually supposed to be a prequel to Far Cry showing Jack's special ops / mercenary roots. Wasn't there a mention in Far Cry that he was some kind of navy seal or something? That's why that chick hired him to take her out to the island? Been a while since I played the original. Anyway, I seem to recall hearing that somewhere, who knows how accurate it is.

Games like this get all sorts of things dropped along the way, the original Wolfenstein 3D was supposed to have a lot more elements, like hiding bodies and taking their uniforms, but was dropped for the more run-n-gun style. There are a lot of things in the original Duke Nukem 3D demo that never made it into the final game. Same goes for Battlefield 1942, a lot of stuff in there was never used.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

JRD

So maybe one theory that says  the Jackal is Jack Carver (Jack, Jackal, red shirt etc...) could be right. Only devs changed their minds in the last minute and changed Jack Carver`s look slightly to make him look like the Jackal
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

:o impressive, JRD :-X Wouldn't have occurred to me, but now I can see it... cool  :)

JRD

That would've been cool... play a prequel where you have to chase the character you play in the first game!!  8)

Art Blade

hehe, now we can make it up and pretend it was meant that way :)

Would have been cool to continue being Jack(al)... think of how you'd try to cut a deal with the faction leaders, selling weapons to both sides... everyone chasing you with hired mercs (like yourself, in FC2) etc...  :)

mmosu

Good thinking guys  :-X
One thing though . . . assuming that everyone really is dead at the end of FC2 (you and the Jackal both off yourselves), how were they planning on carrying that character through to the next game?  Maybe that ending wasn't what they had originally planned either - almost all of us at one point or another have expressed feelings on how the ending in some ways feels rushed and forced, so maybe . . .

JRD

****************************SPOILERS************************************

But there is a "...the Jackal's body was never found..." somewhere in the end!!

Either you die and his body is never found or he "dies" and you leave the country!!

I never bought the idea that he also dies...

I'm pretty sure it leaves room for speculation of his whereabouts!

Art Blade

If I had been the one with the battery, I'd have had a "Plan B" about how to detonate that stuff without being part of it... and if I had been the one with the jewel case... I'd have marched to the pilot and said, "keep it, leave them, let's get the hell out of here." By the way, I had 638 rocks "cash" in my pockets when I finished my last playthrough. Enough to have an entire army march in and get me and the civilians out...  ;D

mandru

I've tried standing way back and placing a GL round directly on the stack of explosives on that alternative game ending and nothing. I'm sure an IED would accomplish the same.

It's a hands on ending that insists you stick to the script... and then stick to the ceiling of that rock overhang as it plunges into the ravine blocking it off from mercs coming to drag the escapees back over the border.
- mandru

fragger

Quote from: JRD on February 03, 2010, 04:05:38 PM
I never bought the idea that he also dies...

Me either, I always thought that was a bit of a segueway for a FC3 (as JRD said, his body is never found). He's the Jackal - who knows what kinds of chicanery he's capable of ;D

@D_B: You're right, Jack Carver was some kind of Special Forces guy or something before he became a charter-boat bum :)

Dweller_Benthos

One of the ways I thought of to detonate the explosives was the good old cigarette fuse technique. I mean, that's pretty basic stuff, place a cigarette inline with something, let it burn down, and off it goes. In the case of the battery and explosives at the rock overhang, put the battery down, put the unlit cigarette on the terminal, then put the wire on top of that, then a rock on top of the whole thing to hold it down. Light the cig, walk off a safe distance, once it explodes, the Jackal thinks you're dead, and you can start a new life as a charter boat captain in the south Pacific.

In the case of the game & the developer's choices, it can be many things that cause things to get dropped, time & money being the highest on the list. Sure, you spend enough of each, you can get almost anything working, but if the bean counters want a release before xmas, you have to decide what can be done and done well in the time frame. There are also sequals and continuity to think about, if you leave the game open-ended you have more leeway with a potential sequal than if you tie it into an already existing game. Look at Call Of Juarez, the second game is pretty much it for that story line, since events in the first game follow the end of the second game, there's not much you can cram in there and still maintain continuity. It's pretty much stated in the first game that Ray has been the preacher in that town for a long time, so nothing really happens in between the first & second games, so the only place they have to go with that is after the first game, time-line wise, so the options are more limited.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

namarow

Quote from: mandru on January 30, 2010, 10:59:29 PM
I think the veteran at 1:17 in the first video is Purefoy the APR lieutenant that sends you out to scrap salvage to blow the air compressors but he's wearing a stalking cap instead of his usual look and he's portayed as being a lot less uh.. cool, cocky / I'm not finding the right word.

It's Purefoy's voice also but they've had him read the part with different nuances.

Hey there,

that looks like Purefoy, but it is not from the game. I voiced Purefoy and that is not me! Awesome game though!

Art Blade

Welcome to OWG, namarow :)

If you're the voice of Purefoy, now then I think we have something for you: Do you know how we could get the Zulu voice files from the game? Actually, we're trying so hard for quite some time to get them translated, and our member nexor63 knows someone who speaks the language.

That would be awesome :)

JRD

Quote from: namarow on September 11, 2010, 05:01:09 PM
(...) I voiced Purefoy and that is not me! Awesome game though!

Really  ??? Cool...  8)

You are a kind of celebrity here at OWG!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Welcome to the forums... hope to hear more from you (pun intended), you might have some stories from the backstage to tell (and might not be allowed to do so  :-( )

fragger

Hey namarow, nice to meet you :)

So you were Purefoy? That's excellent! It's cool to have a real-life merc leader here at OWG. I know I plugged you on many occasions, and Art once blew you out the window with a grenade, but no hard feelings, eh? ;D  :-() :-D

PZ

Indeed - welcome namarow  :-X

Very interesting - one member is the voice of Purfoy, another lives in South Africa and can supply translations - OWG certainly is a center of activity!  :-X

Art Blade

who knows, maybe more guys from the old FC2 staff pop up here  ;D :-X

mandru

Quote from: mandru on January 30, 2010, 10:59:29 PM

It's Purefoy's voice also but they've had him read the part with different nuances.

Quote from: namarow on September 11, 2010, 05:01:09 PM
Hey there,

that looks like Purefoy, but it is not from the game. I voiced Purefoy and that is not me! Awesome game though!

Sorry about the mistake namarow, It seems that I'm successfully continuing my lifelong profession of being wrong.   ;D

It's nice to have you drop in and post.  Obviously by finding my mistake you've spent some time looking around or someone else pointed it out to you.

Either way you're very welcome here and it's nice to meet you.    :-X
- mandru

Art Blade

I think you kind of realised the voice was different, hence you said "different nuances." :)

mmosu

A belated welcome from me as well namarow.  As you've probably already guessed, you'll be hard pressed to find a more devoted group of FC2 fans anywhere.  I guess we shouldn't be surprised, given our recent strides in search engine popularity that PZ described, that people who are "closer to the source" are finding their way to us  :-X  Very cool!

eor123

Quote from: Art Blade on September 11, 2010, 10:07:09 PM
who knows, maybe more guys from the old FC2 staff pop up here  ;D :-X

Cool...we have a "celeb" of sorts on here.

Man...I'm sorry I killed you, now.   ;D

Maybe some one from FC2 will fill me in on the Veronique and Oliver story [ FC2 staffers ]  -- from the morse code message on the radio in Mokuba. 

And perhaps someone can confirm whether "The Predecessor's" voice is Oliver North? The more I hear it, the more convinced I am, but he's not credited anywhere that I've seen. 
"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

Tags:
🡱 🡳