old FC2 vids / "pre-release" vids

Started by Art Blade, January 30, 2010, 05:42:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wexer9

Great story, mandru, and really thought-provoking. Who knows what might still lurk in the code? :o

spaceboy

interesting analogy and cool story mandru.   The ongong search for the "rest of the game".  Ties in with wexer's thread too about the conversations.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

mandru

There's something like 15 minutes of credits on the end of my PC version. That means a lot of people had their hand on this game. Part of what we are doing here is trying to dig out as many of those gold nuggets as possible and bring them to light.

Every bit exposed and shared here brings added value to our game play and an increased appreciation for the scale of the effort that went into putting this "Sleeper" together.

I personally think UBI sold it short on the after marketing end of things and let go of it in serious updates and support long before they should have but that's just my opinion.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

Nice discussion and stories, guys  :-X

Although I agree that the game appears to have been released a bit early ("unfinished" as in "not everything intended made it into the release") I think somewhere they have to draw the line, called deadline. If they don't, and say "it's ready when it's ready" they might end up like 3D Realms and Duke Nukem Forever: More than 10 years into development, a private fortune spent (wasted) and then go tits up, erm, excuse my french: I meant bankrupt. So we have a decent game now, but I do miss the potentially much cooler game if they had allowed a little more time for development.

Now here's a big PREview, 23 minutes, months before the game was released. You'll see some stuff that didn't make it into the release version :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Twn40YgwxI

and even older vids
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PkhbLYdFHY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl5kDIuAyW8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0gC0LX85po
and starting a dev diary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5Q3XMlr2ls
(there are more, follow the links on youtube)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Ahhhhh.... the memories - sure would make me want to purchase the game  :-X

RedRaven

I like the map in that long demo, was funny when it crashed too.  Quality find Art :-X
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mmosu

Great discussions guys!  :-X
I agree with mandru - they pulled out too early with support for the game.  They really could have gone DLC crazy with this one, and we would have eaten it up (a lot like what is going on with Borderlands right now - the third expansion pack is on it's way and there is no end in sight  ;D).  I think there probably is more stuff buried - it was only a couple of months ago that Eor123 deciphered the message in the morse code coming across the radio in Mokuba, so we're obviously still uncovering stuff. 

PZ

I completely agree - FC2 is still the game that I love the most, and has the least in the way of DLC.  >:(

Art Blade

It doesn't need much in the way of DLC  ;D

Did you see the long vid shows how to cheat using the console? After the crash, he types in some quite long commands and equips different weapons?  :o I want that!

And the handheld compass & map... yeah, the origins were really cool! Those buddies in the safehouse... he didn't meet them at Mike's! :)

mandru

Two buddies at once in a safe house? Also there were no spare weapons crates but I'm sure the presenter said something about 100 missions!  :o

OK after blowing the radio tower rescuing your BB from the angry mob of mercs is something we tend to count as a single mission and he was counting it as another mission, so maybe they counted BB mission rescues separately a counting system different from how I add them up.

The drop down control console coding on the fly was cool too. The water from blowing the pipeline had reached Weelegol which is the whole reason that village is up on stilts!

Another thing I've been wondering about, a couple days back I came across the words painted on the front of Mike's Bar at the marina:

Ask For Self Contained Rooms in the Basement

It was the first time I'd ever seen that  I'm thinking that may have been coded in but we'll never seen it because it's been Spackled over and smoothed out to hide it because of the dead line rush.

Even if I could just get the Unimog and extra weapons unlocked with a code now that I've missed the window to buy the extra content would make me happy. True we don't need much in the way of extra down loadable content for an already great game but little bits of unlockable content would be cool and I wouldn't turn it down.  ;)
- mandru

Art Blade

I remember Dweller_Benthos mentioned those

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on May 01, 2009, 11:26:43 AM
Self-contained rooms in basement

long ago and it made me realise I never realised it was there (painted on that wall) but it didn't occur to me that there might have been game content behind it, nice thought :)

mandru

;D

A couple days ago Art, I remembered your list of buggies in game and that there were no big trucks outside of missions in Bowa Seko.  So just for giggles I went up North and grabbed the big truck out of the garage at the Underground location closest to the North East bus station and brought it down through the center of the Northern territory by getting out and clearing every GP and patrol along the way so I could advance the truck without harm.

I made it all the way with no damage into the homestretch of the Eastern lake shore approaching Mike's Bar and that stupid ATP mounted with a .50 cal pounced me before I could react.  In the first half a second they'd shot the hood off the truck.  >:(

Since I was rampaging in god mode I wasn't making any saves.  There was no quick reset and do over.  :(

After mopping up that irritant and the two DDs remaining I limped into Mike's and backed the truck in so that you couldn't get out of the bar without tripping over it.

I snapped a screen shot and had intended to dig up that other thread and tease you that I'd found a big truck in Bowa we'd somehow over looked.  However I decided against it upon examining the shot of the truck with the now missing hood but that line on the front of the bar "Self-contained rooms in basement" caught my eye when I zoomed in in the preview.

So I thought it was worth mentioning to keep my, just for fun lark, from being a total loss.   :P
- mandru

Art Blade

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, there's all sorts of things I think were left out for whatever reason. The Jack Carver (Carter? whatever his name was) from the first Far Cry was supposed to be in the game, and then there's the naked women textures I found....
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

that texture seems to fit into one of those faction leader's office (the "whore house" with those red lights and beds all across the rooms)....

JRD

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on February 02, 2010, 12:09:21 PM
Yeah, there's all sorts of things I think were left out for whatever reason. The Jack Carver (Carter? whatever his name was) from the first Far Cry was supposed to be in the game, and then there's the naked women textures I found....

I read some guys asking for Jack Carver (pretty sure thats his name  ;) ) but it was obviously because of FC1, no actual reason for that.
Did you read somewhere he'd be in the game? Like a game mag or a preview of some sort?
Any idea how?
Just curious!!
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

wexer9

I'm pretty sure you can find a texture for him if you extract the game files.

Art Blade

look out for a red Hawaiian shirt  ;D

fragger

Nice bit of adventuring with the bg truck, mandru :-X It's a shame the ruse didn't quite come off - that would have had us all scratching our heads ("What version of the game is he playing?")

Quote from: Art Blade on February 02, 2010, 01:28:21 PM
look out for a red Hawaiian shirt  ;D

Hahaha ;D :-X Shouldn't be too hard to spot ;D

Gonna keep an eye our for anything Jack Carver now. If there is anything to find, that is.

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on February 01, 2010, 03:48:59 PM
It doesn't need much in the way of DLC  ;D

Did you see the long vid shows how to cheat using the console? After the crash, he types in some quite long commands and equips different weapons?  :o I want that!

I agree somewhat for PC guys, but console gamers don't have that extra measure of fun.   ;)  Because I've both versions (PC and PS3), I can do either, but 9 times out of 10 I go to the PC version because of the great variety of tricks I can still play with.

Besides, you can't tell me that you wouldn't love to do a few more missions, perhaps on a different map altogether  ;)

Art Blade

Indeed, those few more missions on a different map altogether, I'd love it. And I'd call that "FC3"  ;D

PZ

lol, you're probably right - the software developers would call one map and a few more missions an entirely new version of the game and justify another $60 for it!  ;D

Art Blade

JRD

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Tags:
🡱 🡳