POLL - Do you play FPS games with the aiming reticle enabled?

Started by fragger, October 04, 2013, 02:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well - do you?

Yes
No

fragger

I've long been in the habit of disabling onscreen crosshairs in FPS games (if the game in question allows it), instead relying on ironsighting for aiming. I like the added realism of that, plus the satisfaction I get when I drop a bad guy with a hip shot unaided.

I know we've had this kind of poll before, but it's been a while and some new members have joined since we last did this. I'd be interested to see who does what.

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

I usually have it on, but if possible, at the smallest size allowed.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

durian

He who understands others is intelligent
He who understands himself is wise (Tao Te Ching)

mandru

I keep it on as it helps me judge placement for thrown items as well as when I'm using "from the hip" shot gun firing and close range rapid fire bow targeting without using the right click to engage the bow sights (which I have trouble with anyway).

More than once it has flashed red at a key moment to warn me that there is something I should be aware of on the other side of an obscuring patch of brush.  :-D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

TheStranger

Binnatics

I always have it equipped. I like iron sights instead if possible, but in third person shooters it's kind of a must :-D
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on October 04, 2013, 07:49:28 AM
I usually have it on, but if possible, at the smallest size allowed.

I often play D_B style - but mostly I do not really care one way of another

fragger

Thanks for the responses chaps :) Looks like I'm among the mavericks :-D

JRD

I developed the habit of toggling crosshair off while playing FC2. It helps the immersion and, as fragger said, makes me feel badass when I kill someone with a hip shot  >:D

Ironsights is what I like the most on shooters. I remember whan I first saw a game featuring ironsights... Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis.  8)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Quote from: JRD on November 25, 2013, 04:57:54 PM
... Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis.  8)

I remember waiting for OFP Dragon Rising - gosh that seems a long time ago

JRD

Long, long ago indeed old chap!  :-D

OFP:CWC in known to be the first FPS featuring vehicles... and a whole bunch of them! It is also the first time I saw ironsights in a game. A while ago I purchased the original Far Cry and was surprised to see you have a tiny crosshair and as you click RMB you just zoom into that crosshair but never get the ironsights! I could swear I had ironsights in the original FC game!  ????

And it was released in 2004, three years after OFP:CWC.

Back in the day, Doom had the weapon centered in the screen but it wasn't the same.

fragger

The first game I played with ironsighting was Call of Duty 2 (which I played before trying CoD 1). I thought that was just so cool :-()

JRD

It sure went a long way since OFP:CWC. Back then, getting to ironsights was through pressing "V" and having it locked that way and hampering your movements.... quite clumsy actually.... but consider that OFP:CWC is quite a simulation game!

Tags:
🡱 🡳