Interview with FC3's narrative director at Gamescom

Started by ninzza, August 16, 2011, 06:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedRaven

Cheers Ninzza, its good to see members of the Development team getting excited about the game. They need to hurry up and get it on sale now!
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

JRD

Quote from: RedRaven on August 17, 2011, 06:26:43 AM
They need to hurry up and get it on sale now!

What  ??? No they don`t... they ought to take their time and polish the game pretty well before releasing it  ;D

Don`t push them, Red  ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

:-() Agree  ;)

Was that guy tripping a bit and on speed?  :) At the end he even did a human beat box performance  ^+-+
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

ninzza

As much as I wan to get my hands on it NOW, I don't want to get a half baked game  ;D
According to Ubisoft Massive website, FC3 will be release early 2012. If this is true, then we won't have to wait too long.

http://www.massive.se/games/our-games/

mandru

A completed and polished game on release?  Yes!

However that said I'm sure there might be at the very least a couple people here at OWG who would be willing to run some third party field testing for the developers.  You know, to help them get the raw edges knocked off the game in the way that only independent players can.

Without a subconscious feel for how to step over the glitches (a symptom that often comes with an insider's over familiarization with the product so that the glitches are no longer noticed) an independent player will spot things that the developers miss.  That's the whole reason we get updates and corrections on so many games.  ;) 
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

RedRaven

Quote from: mandru  on August 17, 2011, 08:19:25 PM
A completed and polished game on release?  Yes!

That IS what I meant. Not to keen on playing Beta level games as a finished product. Done it before and in the end it is more frustrating than fun.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Binnatics

This guy looks like he just escaped the wilderness himself  :-D
We should somehow get access to beta testing indeed. Would be great. Let's post rig-info and forum links to their development-department so the y can pick the right persons for the job... not speaking for myself actually, but I know that most other members here are maybe even more integrated to the far cry series as the developers themselves ;)
All this musing on the new game makes me wanna finish my still not finished first play through  :-[

Funny thing is, that when I was watching this video, I suddenly understood the power of FC2; it's the freedom of choosing a way to deal with situations. I remember approaching some villages and thinking that I might wanna do that particular mission again, because of an idea about a different strategy.
Although the missions seem all somehow of the same kind (blow up this, assassinate that, etc.) I'm beginning to realize that it's your own creativity that makes this game so great.
Too bad I'm on holiday now without the access to my rig to realize my new found animo for the game  :-\\
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

mmosu

Quote from: Binnatics on August 19, 2011, 06:38:43 AM
This guy looks like he just escaped the wilderness himself  :-D

He reminds me of the guy from Motorhead!  ^+-+

Binn, I know that feeling of "I wish I had another shot at that mission".  I often found that on my way out of an area, I would notice a better way of getting back in to that area, and would have to wait until I was sent back to try it out  :D

PZ

.. I'm beginning to realize that it's your own creativity that makes this game so great.
Too bad I'm on holiday now without the access to my rig to realize my new found animo for the game  :-\\

Precisely why I can go into the same game again, and again - there is always a new way to do something.  Sure, eventually you'll have tried everything, but it sure is fun to explore your options.  Besides, recall fragger's relatively recent discovery of the sniper hide above the Polytechnic - I just had to go in and do those missions all over again.  :-()

Art Blade

Quote from: Binnatics on August 19, 2011, 06:38:43 AMLet's post rig-info and forum links to their development-department

They know us..
Quote from: PZ on January 28, 2010, 10:58:27 AM
We've forwarded a request from openworldgames.org

..which is official.
Quote from: PZ on February 04, 2010, 05:02:44 PM
Well folks, I just received response from Ubisoft

However, we have never got any response regarding our site or members.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

ninzza

Funny thing is, that when I was watching this video, I suddenly understood the power of FC2; it's the freedom of choosing a way to deal with situations. I remember approaching some villages and thinking that I might wanna do that particular mission again, because of an idea about a different strategy.
Although the missions seem all somehow of the same kind (blow up this, assassinate that, etc.) I'm beginning to realize that it's your own creativity that makes this game so great.

You're absolutely correct Bin. That's the main reason why I love FC2 a lot and although I got it on day 1 (10/22/08) I still play it every now and then.

Many people complain that FC2 is boring because they lack what you've just mentioned above: creativity.

Art Blade

Indeed it is one of the few games that I don't want to lose. I still keep it on my rig and play occasionally -- which is fun every time I do  :) :-X

PZ

Now I can only pl;ay on the PC because my console is broken!  :'(

Art Blade

Well, at least you can  play it :) And I remember how you were preparing for your PC before you built it, your anticipation of screenshots and unlimited savegames are also to be remembered positively. You're still going to have some fun until you get your shiny new console  :)

ninzza

Art Blade

If you run it through and roll it in a pack of half-molten butter a couple of times and then polish it a bit, it will be.  :-D

ninzza

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on August 19, 2011, 01:24:11 PM
...I remember how you were preparing for your PC before you built it, your anticipation of screenshots and unlimited savegames are also to be remembered positively...

Oh, don't get me wrong, I like playing games on the PC better than the console because of a variety of reasons.  However, every weekend morning (early), I have the opportunity to play while still in bed waiting for my wife to wake up - she likes to sleep  :-()

mandru

Sorry about the broken console PZ.   :-(

My first internet access was via an old WebTV console when they were first released.  I say "was" because my wife over watered a potted plant that she had place directly over it (higher than eye level to be able to check the run off in the drainage tray) in an attempt to keep my newly acquired cat from eating it.

We've now adopted two new rules of thumb along with that currently not so new cat (who has thrived but unfortunately the same can't be said for the WebTV).

1. No potted plants higher than her eye level (if a step stool is needed - it must be used - no free handing!)
2. No potted plants or wet vases within a 4 foot circle of any electronic device

Things became peaceful once these guidelines were agreed upon.  Well other than with the cat who's made it clear that he despises rules he hasn't personally established while maintaining the opinion that we humans are fortunate that he has allowed us to live here and serve him.

With the WebTV blown we purchased the notorious 15,000 BTU space heater in a computer case that eventually allowed me to design the assembly of components contained in my current and very fortunately reliable system.

I saw that there was a price break announced recently for the PS3s PZ, so that should help towards setting things right to returning your gaming environment back to normal. 

There was something Binnatics said that caught my eye.

Funny thing is, that when I was watching this video, I suddenly understood the power of FC2; it's the freedom of choosing a way to deal with situations.

Ah!  You're half way there Binn old bean!  :-D  :-X

For me personally the brilliance behind the re-playability of FC2 does indeed partially come from the wide variety of choices I can make when approaching a situation but even if I make a save point right before I engage either a mission target or just plain old free form mayhem making I can keep coming back to that same save point over and over and even if I deliberately try to play that segment exactly the same way as my first time the game is responding on the fly and always throws something different at me forcing me to deviate from a precise step by step course to success.

This ability to surprise me is something very good.   :)

It is even completely possible for the decisions you made during your first successful passage through an engagement to be so completely wrong that on an immediate re-play you find yourself making an emergency first aid patch-up after getting a quick rescue visit from your 2nd BB.   ;)

A merc that was a skulking coward on your first attempt can become a determined out-runner attempting to flank you on the next time through.

We can only hope that this same genuinely non-linear algorithm for game character's responses will remain intact in FC3.  That coupled with the desire the previews have created in me to place a round through Vas' greasy forehead will make the game a guaranteed success for me.   >:D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

Well written post, mandru  :) I particularly liked "that currently not so new cat." ^+-+

JRD

Quote from: mandru  on August 19, 2011, 10:17:10 PM
That coupled with the desire the previews have created in me to place a round through Vas' greasy forehead will make the game a guaranteed success for me.   >:D

Hell yeah... that's the spirit mandru  >:D

There's a round with Vas' name on it on my virtual Desert Eagle .50 too!

Freedom to engage and the good old unpredictability that caught me so many times unprepared even after carefully planning an assault... these are on the top of my list.

Graphics will be stunning anyway, I don't care if there's another title out there with better trees and water, I don't want the best and nothing else but just plain good visuals well polished aslong with a good plot, well played characters and voice acting.

Considering they won't have mutants, aliens crap and whatnot, there's a great chance FC3 will be a success to me as well
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Thanks mandru  ;)

The latest deal I found locally is for a 320 gb PS3 bundled with Infamous 2 for $299.  The price for a 160 gb PS3 with nothing is $249.

Binnatics

Sounds like a good deal; especially with the Infamous 2 game included. Although I still consider the price a bit high, knowing that there will be coming up a PS4 in the near future. But anyway, if you compare that to a decent game-rig pc style, it's rather cheap  ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

hmmm.... the searching I did on the PS4 did not come up with a reasonable release date yet.  Although I dislike investing in old technology when something new is on the horizon, I also don't want to miss out on some of the new titles coming out this fall.  I guess I'd better wait for a while and when a new game comes out that I want to enjoy, make the decision on a new PS3 at that time.

Tags:
🡱 🡳