FC3: Tips and Tricks

Started by Art Blade, December 07, 2012, 11:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Jim di Griz

Quote from: Art Blade on December 14, 2012, 12:53:08 PM
hehe, always careful with lethal experiments when locals/friendlies are nearby. For some reason they don't like to be part of the process of extinction  :-D
Also be careful of trying to be a good Samaritan if one of the locals is about to be attacked by a tiger or dogs. If you shoot too close to them, any others around will think you are actually shooting at one of their own instead of trying to save them...and you'll have a firefight on your hands.

Also, for anyone who hasn't tried the dive more than 60 metres thing, that circular lake south(ish) of the medusa is a good spot - go to the northern edge though as that is higher; the east/west or southern side are not high enough - just run at it and jump, you should go into a perfect tunnel-perspective swan dive.

EDIT: I also just did my first 'Lost Expedition' east of the Medusa. That was a fraught but highly atmosperic run with the place coming down around my ears - very reminiscent of the first Uncharted game.

I also like finding the occasional downed Zero fighter  ^-^
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

fragger

Jim no doubt discovered this but didn't mention it in his post, but the crater lake provides another approach to the Medusa mission. If you go jump in the lake :-() then enter the cave but continue on past where the entrance to the ancient Chinese tomb is, you'll eventually emerge at a high vantage point overlooking the Medusa site.

I too like finding the old Zeroes, that's cool :-X

PZ

Quote from: fragger on December 17, 2012, 01:48:56 PM
Jim no doubt discovered this but didn't mention it in his post, but the crater lake provides another approach to the Medusa mission. If you go jump in the lake :-() then enter the cave but continue on past where the entrance to the ancient Chinese tomb is, you'll eventually emerge at a high vantage point overlooking the Medusa site.

Cool find  :-X  I have a feeling that you'll discover things in FC3 similar to what you accomplished in FC2  ;)

PZ

This set of walk through videos is fairly complete - might just get you past a difficult spot

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHR3LrZaPrh7EdAT_JTPjD-xT9h87ku9y

Jim di Griz

Quote from: fragger on December 17, 2012, 01:48:56 PM
Jim no doubt discovered this but didn't mention it in his post, but the crater lake provides another approach to the Medusa mission...
Indeed I did fragger, but of course after the fact  ^-^

For the mission itself, I just used the westernmost hang glider to circle around and land on top of a grassy patch on the rock archway - nice view, hairy landing but I couldn't quite see all of the pirates and so got 'mission failed' each time. I ended up sneaking in under the same arch. The two cave exits would have been way cooler  :)

The merc-in-a-rock glitch is back by the way - I found one yesterday just north of Cittra's temple, under the radio tower hill crest - I couldn't dislodge him so had to leave his compadres corpses unrobbed.

EDIT: I can't find the post now, I think it was Fragger's where he climbed along the ridge north of Cittra's temple to use the hang-glider. I used that to reach Bad Town - hang-gliding is great fun in this game  :-X
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge

fragger

I agree, the hang gliders are a great improvement in this game. Flights of well over a minute aren't uncommon 8) And once you get the wingsuit/parachute, you can let go of the hang glider and parachute down. You can even steer the chute, it's excellent fun :-X

Art Blade

you just reminded me: I re-edited the wingsuit tip, you can toggle it on and off at any time using the interact key. :)

I love to use the hang glider, let go, whip out the wingsuit and toggle it off and back on, then rip on the chute line to do a nice landing.

If you deploy the chute quite high, you'll slow down and if you then press the down/backwards key you'll be able to do a precision landing :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

Fast Travel with Rakyat Trials

Also good for: Quick discovery of undiscovered map areas after your first playthrough (any subsequent playthrough)

If you participated in any of the Rakyat Trials (those red rocks near radio towers or outposts) then you can open the map menu, look at the top right corner and click on the star. It will open a list of unlocked Trials (the ones you played during the current or previous playthroughs). Scroll through the list until you find a Trial that is close to your desired area, perhaps a radio tower, and say yes, you want to do the trial (again). Screw up the trial (or beat your own score if you are so inclined) and get out.. Ta-dah.. you've just reached your destination area.  :-D

fragger

Good couple of tips there Art, cheers :)

Art Blade

always very welcome, fragger  :)

inspired by Fiach's "bottom lines:"

Art, dying a thousand and one ways to filter out the useful from the not so useful stuff so you don't have to  :-D

Jim di Griz

That is indeed a good tip Art.

If anyone decides to do co-op online, do try and get together with three other friends. A mate and myself just barely managed to complete the first scenario in the story - and kept failing on the first part of the second. In short it can get quite tough and more guns will increase your chances as they are coming from all directions and have attack dogs.

For the most part it's easy enough, but when a few of the machette dudes are on the loose, plus dogs you barely get a warning of impending death...

Art Blade

PC: Function Keys (F1...) fixed mappings

F1: Crafting
F2: Skills
F3: Loot Rucksack
F4: Handbook
F5: Survival Guide

F9: Quick Save (overrides the "save#" but not the autosave)
F11: Quick Load (from "save#")

save# is either save1 or save2 or save3, depending on which career you're currently playing

Jim di Griz

I'm guessing those of you that have finished this game know already that the occasional stone doors in the temples are demolishable with C4. For those who didn't know this, you can identify them by a 'P' styled symbol carved into the stone - and of course an annoyingly hard to get relic symbol on the map that you just know has to be underground but just cannot find the hidden entrance. Just chuck a C4 package down at the door and retire before detonating.

I can't recall seeing this mentioned anywhere - apologies if it has been  :)

Art Blade

It was mentioned somewhere.. Yet you did the right thing and posted it where it belongs: here. Nice  :-D

By the way, a proper shotgun does the doors in, too.. costs probably less  :-()

Binnatics

Quote from: Art Blade on December 18, 2012, 02:49:50 AM
Fast Travel with Rakyat Trials

:-X That is a nice example of out of the box thinking. Cleaver and very handy mate :-X :)

Quote from: Art Blade on December 18, 2012, 04:31:12 AM
inspired by Fiach's "bottom lines:"

btw; I miss Fiach a bit on the Trial here ????

Quote from: Jim di Griz on December 18, 2012, 02:06:05 PM
...stone doors in the temples are demolishable with C4....

Don't worry, I think you're the first to post about this. I found out that it works with a shotgun as well. Not with regular bullets though. And there was one specific entrance to a cave (a cellar may be a better word) somewhere in the middle-east of the southern island, which is tapped by some wooden commercial boards. The only way I could get them away was with hand grenades. C4 may come in handy there as well ;)

Edit: Damn Art, you beat me seconds with this reply >:( :-D
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

^ (TM)  :-() and thanks  :)

durian

I didn't know shotgun also works  :-X
He who understands others is intelligent
He who understands himself is wise (Tao Te Ching)

Jim di Griz

Quote from: Art Blade on December 18, 2012, 02:12:17 PM
...By the way, a proper shotgun does the doors in, too.. costs probably less  :-()
Cool  :-X I have the Signature shottie, so that should do the trick  :)

PZ

I must have missed the original post regarding the opening to passages leading to relics so I'm glad that you posted  :-X

fragger

The Deep Dive syringe is very useful for finding some of the relics that are underwater, allowing you to stay down for over a minute (when used in conjunction with the two skills that make special crafted syringes last respectively 25% and 50% longer). A few relics are in some quite deep water, like the one that's inside a wrecked container in the lower hold of a sunken shipwreck on the bottom of the sea! That's this one here:
[smg id=5039 width=600]

I'm sure there are others like that.

You'll find the Deep Dive syringe in the Exploration category and you will need 2 blue leaves and 1 green leaf, and to have completed the "Island Port Hotel" mission.

Art Blade

^ get it after mission #10, check the manual to see your progress and mission #  :)

mandru

This thread is an excellent resource.  Let's hope I can remember a fraction of it and I'm sure I'll be back for refresher info.  :-X

I loaded the game yesterday but never fired it up in favor of finding survival strategies first before plunging in.  :-D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

Dying by doing, was it?  :laugh: I plunged right into it without ever reading the manual and when I started, the game was only just out a few hours so nothing I could have read in preparation anyway  :-D

Tags:
🡱 🡳