FC3: Tips and Tricks

Started by Art Blade, December 07, 2012, 11:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Indeed, I successfully tested mandru's tip and the next time I'll do as PZ suggests: rig the carcasses  >:D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

This is the last thing I got to see as I failed to mash the "F" key in time. If you don't start mashing instantly, you'll die.. in my case by a white tiger. Funny how big his nose is, almost covering my entire screen with his whiskers  :-D

[smg id=5305 type=link align=center width=500 caption="2013 01 05 00044"]
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

durian

Quote from: mandru  on January 04, 2013, 08:48:00 AM
Many of the large carnivores can be baited by shooting one of the herbivores that populate the same area .

I noticed last night that I had shot a goat near the Break Point Docks on the South Eastern coast of the Southern island.  The corpse of the goat remained for a long period of time during which a dozen or so of the local komado dragons came to feast.  There was also a vulture some ways off from the goat corpse at that same vantage point I was camping that I'd caught on the ground and killed with the long rifle with explosive rounds.  The dead vulture also drew in many komodos.

I got the "Hunter Hunted" achievement by accident early in my 1st play through.
In a komodo dragon infested area in North map, I saw some goats and shot them, then some dragons came out, I killed those nasty lizards and a message appeared ons creen :"You just earned a trophy"  ;D

I agree the dragons in this game are unrealistically fast unlike in real life.
He who understands others is intelligent
He who understands himself is wise (Tao Te Ching)

Art Blade

nice :) I just checked, I unlocked it Nov 30 without paying attention to what it actually was.

Jim di Griz

Has anyone mentioned how to get the relic in the cave halfway up the cliff face? It's at the start of that mission along the gorge on south island when J needs to get proof of the 'traitors'.

I used the hang glider further north, angled gently south along the river then cut in over the bridge and up the gorge uptil the cave mouth came into view. I was able to pilot it into the cave and landed without too much damage. Inside I did find a sodding big drop which would land you in the water deeper into the cave - but the entrance must have been forty metres or so up and the water wasn't that deep.

Also, don't drive too close to jeeps that are on fire at the roadside - for some reason I forgot that they blow up and one obligingly reminded me of this trait, just as I drove past it. I should remember that just because the privateers are stupid enough to stand around whilst it does that, I really should know better.
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Binnatics

Quote from: Jim di Griz on January 05, 2013, 01:44:44 PM
Also, don't drive too close to jeeps that are on fire at the roadside - for some reason I forgot that they blow up and one obligingly reminded me of this trait, just as I drove past it. I should remember that just because the privateers are stupid enough to stand around whilst it does that, I really should know better.

:laugh: :laugh:

I can relate ^-^ :-X
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

PZ

I wonder if you can start mashing the "F" key as soon as the tiger approaches.

Art Blade

of course.. given you expected it to be the F key. So far it had mostly been the space bar or CTRL key and I wasn't quick enough to realise which key it was.

PZ

I see; the wonderful ever changing attack key  :D

Art Blade

exactly  :-D  Whoever invented that.. I'd love to ram that F key down his wind pipe. :D

fragger

Quote from: Jim di Griz on January 05, 2013, 01:44:44 PM
Has anyone mentioned how to get the relic in the cave halfway up the cliff face? It's at the start of that mission along the gorge on south island when J needs to get proof of the 'traitors'.

I used the hang glider further north, angled gently south along the river then cut in over the bridge and up the gorge uptil the cave mouth came into view. I was able to pilot it into the cave and landed without too much damage. Inside I did find a sodding big drop which would land you in the water deeper into the cave - but the entrance must have been forty metres or so up and the water wasn't that deep.

I think that drop you mentioned is indeed the way in. Do you mean the big hole in the ground higher up and away from the gorge a bit, with a road or path leading to it?

If memory serves, I think you can actually jump in that way. Although it sounds like you found another way :-X

On a similar note, there's a relic in a cave branching off that hole Vaas drops you into with the Bessa block tied to your legs. Standing at the edge of the hole you'll see a ledge a little ways down that you can drop onto, the cave leads off that.

mandru

Jim, regarding that relic with the cave entrance on the gorge I slid/rock hopped my way down to the cave entrance from the road above though I first had to cross to the opposite side of the gorge to get a precise read on where to start my descent after missing it once and ending up in the river.

As to how to locate the relic and obtain the relic I know I got it on my first entry to the cave (all relics collected now) but unfortunately I don't remember the specifics for this one.

Try looking for vines to climb or ropes indicating a jump point and I find it is always helpful to mark a treasure chest or relic when searching for them in a cave or otherwise as a "Way Point" on my main map.  That way it will not only show up on the mini map but also will have location markers visible on the game screen to let me know if it is above or below my current position. it helps to know if I need to climb or dive to get closer to my intended target.

Good luck on that Jim.  :-X
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

mandru

Speaking of relics and the mini map.  There have been a couple times in a long duration swim underwater in a cave it has become so inky black that I've lost all reference of direction and the position of the object I'm diving for.  The mini map is very useful for this.

Having the often present blue leaf plants dotting the cave floor and their markers showing on the mini map copying the line of the cavern being navigated has saved my skin a couple times.  They point the way in and they also point the way out.

Also if you get trapped underwater and start making the choking noises and floundering gestures you always have the option of switching to your map and escape using the fast travel option to the nearest available point.  That way you don't lose any progress and come back to try again.
- mandru

Jim di Griz

Thanks mandru - I played a couple of late night sessions there and think I tried the slide downwards a couple of times but missed, hence coming up with the hang glider plan adapted from FC2 - so I got it. Talking of FC2 - there don't appear to be any locations that you need a glider to get onto, with the exception of one butte with a few loot chests on it and nothing else. A shame that.

I didn't know about the relic in 'Vaas' toilet' fragger,  nice find. There must be another way to it as I think I have all of them. I'll go and check though  :)
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge

fragger

There's a relic just outside Gaztown in the south island which is in a shallow alcove high up on a sheer cliff face. The only way I could find to get to it was to take a nearby hang glider from further along the top of the same cliff formation, fly it around and land in the alcove. Even that was dicey. I tried dropping from the top of the cliff directly above where the relic is but there didn't seem to be anything to land on except the ground a long way below. There didn't appear to be any way to get to it from either side and the relic isn't in a cave, just a depression with no cave behind it, i.e. no subterranean approach from another direction. I might have missed something of course, but I spent a good deal of time poking around looking.

After getting the relic I had to wingsuit and parachute down to the ground, there didn't seem to be any other way.

Jim, you could be right about the relic in Vaas' disposal pit. I can't remember how I got back out of there - I think I had to jump back into the "disposal" hole but I'm not sure. Maybe there is another way.

RE the gliders in FC2, I discovered over time that there was only one case that you absolutely had to use a glider to get to, the one SW of the Crash Site. There were sneaky ways to climb around and get to all the other apparent "glider cases".

Jim di Griz

That's the cliff overlooking the western ocean, is it not? There is a rock jutting out slightly where there is a gap in the barrier about twenty metres or so north of the 'altar cave' - I just ran, jumped then deplyed my wingsuit followed immediately by my parachute and so swung around to land in there - took a couple of attempts though ^-^

I checked the cave fragger, it exits half way up the waterfall facing the fishing village where pirates keep spawning. Watch the pool below as it has a croc...

fragger

Yep, that's the place. I too found that gap in the barrier and the rock beyond and fell off a couple of times trying to find a way down via it :-()

About the Vaas cave one, now that I read your post it comes back to me, cheers :)

PZ

Quote from: fragger on January 07, 2013, 04:38:16 AM
RE the gliders in FC2, I discovered over time that there was only one case that you absolutely had to use a glider to get to, the one SW of the Crash Site. There were sneaky ways to climb around and get to all the other apparent "glider cases".

I was thinking the same.  However, didn't someone manage to find a way up without using the glider?  My failing memory seems to recall D_B.  ????

mandru

Using a super jump with the FC2 trainer? And also I'm thinking it may have been fragger who reported about the area on top of that rock S.W. of the Crash Site with the diamond case on its ledge.  :-\\
- mandru

PZ

Maybe; I simply can't recall events that happened that long ago these days.  :-()

fragger

I've gotten into the habit of cooking my grenades before tossing them. It's a very early skill you acquire in the game (in fact you may actually start with it, I'm not sure), but I've never explored the possibilities of it until now. If you chuck a grenade at a nearby group of pirates without cooking it, they'll hear or see it land and run away from it. You might still get one or two, but if you cook it for a bit before throwing (press and hold the throw button/key for a couple of seconds, then release) they won't get a chance to bolt before it goes off. You might even get it to air-burst among them, or over their heads. Just don't hold on to it for too long before you throw it...

Art Blade

more often than not, I manage to drop a grenade the moment I get taken out. Most enemies (AI and humans alike) tend to run towards and past you after you dropped dead.. if it takes just a few seconds, they'll be lying by your side and help you pushing up daisies.. >:D

PZ

Just like in FC2 there is much to experiment with in FC3.  I too like cooking grenades, playing with mines, and setting off C4.  I like the sequential manner in which the C4 is detonated when you place multiples.

Too bad we can whistle or otherwise attract red shirts to the area  :-()

Art Blade

Quote from: PZ on January 11, 2013, 01:31:28 PMToo bad we can whistle or otherwise attract red shirts to the area  :-()

I think there's a " ' " and a " t " missing.

Because at least I can't whistle or otherwise attract red shirts to the area  :-D

Tags:
🡱 🡳