weird glitch

Started by Binnatics, December 27, 2012, 05:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on January 17, 2013, 08:10:00 AM
... Thing is, since your save games are on the cloud, can you load a save in offline mode?

I don't know how it works but I have the Uplay game front end in offline mode all of the time and have no problems saving games.  It's funny though - when you click the Play button, a message pops up that playing offline is not recommended. Click through that and you're on your way to the islands

Binnatics

I think it's no problem playing in off line mode and saving. I had no problems with it, and neither has fragger.... ??? oops I'll have to recall that ::) But it seems to w@&k in the end without the cloud, so try it. Who knows ;)

I have the idea that the game somehow thinks that I run a different type of windows (Win7 instead of vista?) because the 'kernelbase.dll' file is related to win7 and not to winvista, it seems. But I might be completely wrong about that.
Anyway, when you check for dll downloads on the net, it turns out to be a profitable business to offer 'free' dll files. There are tons of sites giving you 'what you need' and advice you to  run a 'complete system scan' to prevent further bothering and pay an amount of money for future protection ::)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

The problem with installing .dll files is that it is a way for a hacker to introduce malicious code onto your system, so exercise care that anything you insert into your OS is from a reputable source.

Dweller_Benthos

Quote from: mandru  on January 17, 2013, 08:13:34 AM
:knockout

Sorry no help here on that I just loaded it, got past the first barrage of updates and from then on played it as if I'd stole it.

Well, save games w@&k fine in offline mode, but unfortunately, FC3 doesn't. Still get crashes, if anything, they are more frequent.

Mandru, what video card and driver version are you running? Trying to narrow things down.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

mandru

D_B, I've got an NVIDIA GTX 680 but I have no idea of where to look for the driver specs.

Edit additional: D_B, I spent more time poking around in my system and may have found something.  Does this sound right?

Computer> Local Disc (C:)> NVIDIA> DisplayDriver> 306.97
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also + The method of finding the driver PZ directed me to follow while I was typing this edit comment also verified driver # 306.97 as the version I have loaded.

Hope that helps.  :-X
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

mandru, if you open the nVidia applet in your system tray you'll see a home icon at the top left - click that and you'll find the driver version

mandru

Thanks PZ you allowed me to verify that with what I'd found.  :-X
- mandru

Dweller_Benthos

OK, cool, thanks. I have nothing to lose but to grab that version of the nvidia driver and see if it helps.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

mandru

- mandru

fragger

Here's something a little different.

I was clearing an outpost on the south island (Lonely Shore Way) from a nice high vantage point atop the cliffs south of the outpost. I'd sniped all three alarm switches before eliminating all the guards, until this guy was the only one left with a tag - except he was already dead!

[smg id=5481 width=600]

The "victory" sequence didn't happen so I waited and waited to see if any more guys would come into view, but none did. I chucked a grenade down to see if it got any responses but there were none. There were no voices, nothing. I was about to go down and check it out close up when, on a hunch, I sniped the dead guy in the head. Lo and behold, his tag disappeared and I got the flag-raising routine - success! All I'd had to do was kill him twice :-()

Binnatics

:-() :-X

I had something similar. I found a dead body during the bunker approach when you have to bring down Hoyt's satelite dish, and I would have sworn it was screaming towards its colleague privateers "It's snowwhite!! Watch out, snowwhite is coming!!"
I checked around for someone else, but couldn't find any remaining pirates, all there was was his corpse. I took a closer look and then saw his eyes winking ????
I then saw his lips move, damn, the guy was alive!! ??? I could tag him like yours, and finally shot him in the head like you did >:D That helped shutting him off 8)

Here's a screenie of the guy before I gave him the bullet:
[smg id=5482]

"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Interesting; I'll need to keep that in mind.

Art Blade

During coop yesterday I saw a glitch: We needed to repair a train and keep it in a somewhat good state. For that purpose each player had a status bar not unlike a download progress bar on top of the screen. That bar should have disappeared starting the next chapter but no, it was still there (even though the train wasn't, which is normal in this case, hehe) and the funny thing: the bar went from full and white to zero and red and it started to rapidly fill up again while changing colour from red to white, and over again and again and again..  ??? ???? :D :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

and one more..

[smg id=5484 type=link align=center width=500 caption="2013 01 15 00008"]

fragger

???? WTF?

"Come on! Come on! Come on! Let's go space truckin'..."

Art Blade

the SP part has a lot of bugs in it but there is a whole carpet of bugs in Coop. Ranges from being unable to grab hand grenades even if you had run out of them, along with everyone blowing up randomly but at the same time, to getting kicked from the server (happened to me but hey, last time I was the host/server and there is no vote-kick in place) :-D

Jim di Griz

Yeah, I couldn't use my GL yesterday in co-op and there are always a few minor ones that come and go. Other than the vanishing boat I mentioned a while ago, I've not seen anything like the above  :)

How did you get the explosives into the truck?
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Art Blade

I didn't -- I was spectating. And I have no idea if or how they managed. My guess is that they saw it on the ground and it was just me who thought it was floating.

Jim di Griz

Ahh  :) I've also seen fire arrows suspended in mid-air as if in frozen time along with a few bullet-time trails.
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Art Blade

those fire arrow trails I know, too :)

PZ

fragger

I found a way to prevent losing my entire session's progress in the even of a hang. The problem appears to be with the manual saves. If I simply let the game do an autosave, as opposed to me doing manual saves, if the game hangs (or should I say when - it always does sooner or later), then I only lose what I did since the last autosave instead of the whole session's worth of doings. Similarly, when loading, if I choose "Continue" from the Story menu instead of loading a manual save, it will pick up from the last autosave. In effect, it means my manual saves aren't worth a piddle in the event of a hang.

So now, if I haven't done a mission for a while, every so often I get to a safehouse, engage the vending machine, buy and/or sell something, then disengage, and the game does an autosave at that point and I go with that. As soon as I start doing manual saves, or loading them, it stuffs up the preservation of my progress.

Marginally better, but the hangs are still a pain, and I still lose some progress.

PZ

Nice discovery fragger  :-X

fragger

Cheers :)

I met my first rock-solid merc in FC3 last night:

[smg id=5490 width=600]

As with the one in FC2, I couldn't shoot him and he just kept plugging me every time I showed myself. I used to be able to get the one in FC2 with a grenade, but this guy was as immune to explosives as he was to bullets.

I finally nailed him though with sniper rifle. He wasn't quite fully inside the stone and when he wasn't shooting at me he was kind of bobbing backwards and forwards quickly as though he was running on the spot, which meant that his head kept popping in and out of view. From just the right angle, I had to time it just right to score a headshot on him and leave him in the rock permanently.

Tags:
🡱 🡳