weird glitch

Started by Binnatics, December 27, 2012, 05:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

But it looks like you fixed his wagon.  :-D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

fragger

nexor

It seemed like he was already buried but didn't know it yet   ???
I just pointed it out to him   >:D :angel:

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

now I've just seen a funny glitch, look at the pics.. I'm walking around in broad daylight yet I'm using a flashlight and smoke is surrounding me and everything else around is dark. I came out of a cave and something happened, the "cave mode" kicked in again.  ??? :-()

[smg id=6253 type=preview align=center caption="flashlight"]
[smg id=6254 type=preview align=center caption="flashlight 2"]
[smg id=6255 type=preview align=center caption="flashlight 3"]

Art Blade

I played around with it more, here 3 pics series. Check the colour of the light reflection on the Dragunov, err, SVD. Flashlight on, flashlight off with a transition, and flashlight off as in a normal night pic. It had simply turned night, that was not caused by me playing around.
You can probably do it, too: X:256,Y:319 (South of the Pacific Airport) near the coast is a black dot on the map, a cave entrance. The coords are roughly where the game "thinks" that you are still in the cave while you walk around outside. :)

[smg id=6256 type=preview align=center caption="flashlight 4"]
[smg id=6257 type=preview align=center caption="flashlight 5"]
[smg id=6258 type=preview align=center caption="flashlight 6"]

Binnatics

That is weird indeed. Sloppy, actually, to forget to turn the lights back on ^-^
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

fragger

There are a couple of spots where the opposite happens - you'll be in a cave and the flashlight will go out in certain places. Apparently the program then thinks you're outside in those places.

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, I've had that happen walking on the ground above a cave, and the flashlight will flick on and off as if it thinks I'm in the cave.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

nexor

Maybe one of the tattoos is a built in day/night sensor and works like my outside security lights  >:D :angel:

Art Blade

might be particularly cool at night if you sneak up on someone who's looking towards you and then *flick* enlighten your enemy as to a) that you are there at all and b) spotlight your exact position :-D

I noticed that when I had the light on, the environmental sounds (rain, thunder) completely faded away while singular sounds (mercs shouting) would have a reverberation just as if they were in a large cave. ??? :-D

mandru

When in a tunnel the sounds from outside over your position are transmitted with the echoing effect you mention Art as if they are there in the cave with you.

Once a group of privateers far above on the surface was being attacked by a swarm of Komodos.  The cursing, scuffling footsteps, frantic shooting, screams of agony and hissing - I could hear it all clearly.  I got to laughing so hard that I had to wait until it was over before I could really focus on making the needed jumps between ledges to get through the cave I was transversing.

Oh yeah, I think the Komodos won.  :-()
- mandru

Art Blade

heh heh  :-D

yep, happened to me, too. It is funny because if you can hear them, they can hear you, too. So, fire a loud weapon in a cave and listen to the ruckus on top of you.. "WHAT.. THE.. HELL?" and so on  :laugh: Even better, sometimes the surface is so close that you can set it on fire through the cave with either C-4 or molotovs. Also works in bunkers  :-()

mandru

Quote from: Art Blade on September 13, 2013, 09:57:24 AM

Even better, sometimes the surface is so close that you can set it on fire through the cave with either C-4 or molotovs. Also works in bunkers  :-()

Now that's an interesting prospect.  :o

I'll have to keep an eye out for an opportunity to give it a try.  :-X
- mandru

mandru

I stumbled upon an amusing weirdness in the game earlier today.  As I come and go from the weapons vending machine/save point at Kell's Boat Repairs there is a propane tank directly across the driveway under the awning that I like to shoot with whatever weapon I have equipped at the time.

What can I say?  I like the boomies.  ^-^

Today I popped the tank with the bow and one of the cardboard boxes on the shelving right next to it came off the shelf and out towards the driveway.  At first I was surprised that the box when impacted by an explosion wasn't torn to bits but on closer examination I found the box to be indestructible and as lively of a bouncing object as a soccer ball. 

**(Yes, yes I know what some of you probably tend to go starkers when that word is used to describe your beloved game.  Just accept the fact that in the U.S. we have a weird local accent that causes the word Fotball to sound like Soccer.  Deal with it.  >:D )**

Shotgun blasts, exploding sniper rounds and even C-4 charges only temporarily marred the surface if at all but that quickly healed as the graphic's damage overlay faded.  However having the box sitting in burning grass did give it a darker burned appearance even when it was the (unmarred) box itself that had started the fire when it returned to earth from unbelievable heights after a combined C-4 and landmine detonation.

OK a super bouncy indestructible cardboard box isn't that weird but this should qualify the weirdness claim.  When a C-4 charge is affixed to one of the vertical faces of the box while it's sitting on a level surface the box is slowly propelled along the ground as if the C-4 charge is some kind of impulse engine.  What I can make out of it (through maybe an hour's worth of experimenting or what all of you might have called "dinking around with it" ) is that the box hates the C-4 and tries to move away from it which in turn drags along the C-4 because it's stuck onto the box.  It's a pretty slow crawl but it still is moving right along for something that shouldn't be moving at all.

It doesn't matter if the box is propelled down the beach and into the water.  It's perfectly happy chugging along the seabed.  As long as the box doesn't butt up against a solid impassible object or tumble over so that the C-4 is on the top face of the box at which point the impulsive force is downwards and the motion stops.

The next time I have Kell's populated with pirates I am really going to have to try lining up the box with an intended victim, then attaching a landmine to the face of the box aimed at him and a C-4 charge at the back to impel the box with its load of boomy happiness to within critical range.  :-D

One other note about the nature of these two boxes to be found at Kell's Boat Repairs is that the property of their physics allows them to ignore the fact that they are in water.  A box falling from considerable height not only doesn't slow when it hits the surface of the water it bounces several times when it hits the bottom.  ???

One box in the water had tumbled over because of my swimming along next to it.  I had bumped it at a wrong moment and it took a bad roll so that the C-4 was on the top face.  Since it was no longer moving and I considered it to be a completed observation not to mention it was pretty boring just sitting there like that.  Rather than let a C-4 charge as well as a landmine that was attached to the opposite face go to waste I got out of the water so that I could use the remote to detonate it.  The box from its position a few meters underwater shot straight up into the air going so high that the game caused it to blink out as it had reached an altitude where the game stopped rendering it.  I was thinking "Oh well that's gone" but after several seconds it popped back into view as it reached an acceptable height for the game to start to display it once again.

A C-4 charge by itself doesn't have that kind of lifting power but the added presence of that mine really put it over the top.
- mandru

Art Blade

Mandru, that was an awesome read  :) :) :) +1  :-X for your experiments and discoveries and the fun I had while reading it.  :)

And that here..
Quote from: mandru on October 10, 2013, 04:35:31 PMJust accept the fact that in the U.S. we have a weird local accent that causes the word Fotball to sound like Soccer.

..was the highlight  :laugh:

By the way, since you spelled football "Fotball" (note the missing second "o") it even looks more like soccer. Sooccer would be an awful misspelling which slightly resembles "sucker"   :-()

mandru

Thanks Art.  I'm glad you enjoyed the read.  :-D

I used fotball  because I thought that was the way most of the world spelled it.  Am I wrong?

I guess it's possible that fotball is the Hispanic spelling.  I often see it as I'm flipping past while using the on-screen cable guide finding something non-annoying to watch on TV.

Other than brief encounters with the game in school where it was used as a physical activity that even the wimpiest kids in the class could participate I've never paid much attention to it.  Come to think of it the teacher that usually tried to convince us (when we balked) that it was a real sport was named LaPorte. (Hmm...)

Playing or viewing I'm of the personal opinion that watching paint dry is a more amusing pastime. 

Not that I've spent 10 minutes (in total) over the last 40 years watching any team sport other than an occasional sports related video clip that shows up on a couple of the viral video sites I follow.  It seems to me the key highlight of soccer is the dramatic overacting displayed when a player is trying to draw a foul against an opposing player by faking either a tripping call or injury penalty.
- mandru

Binnatics

Quote from: mandru on October 10, 2013, 06:06:04 PM
Not that I've spent 10 minutes (in total) over the last 40 years watching any team sport other than an occasional sports related video clip that shows up on a couple of the viral video sites I follow.  It seems to me the key highlight of soccer is the dramatic overacting displayed when a player is trying to draw a foul against an opposing player by faking either a tripping call or injury penalty.

Your description of soccer matches reality quite well, mandru :-X :-() Those overpaid lame a$$ lawnmowers are more focused on the referee than on the ball most of the times :-D

The Hispanic version of the game's name is fútbol. Take the English sound and write it down the Castillian way ^-^

Edit: I totally forgot, great discovery with those boxes Mandru, and indeed a good read :-X :) + one from me too ;)

Art Blade

And "sports" in Spanish is "(el) deporte"  :)

I share your enthusiasm for football, mandru, I experience it just like you do :-() And no, the English (even the American English) spelling is with two "o."

Paraphrasing what you said: Just accept the fact that at least in some parts of the UK (and I guess in Oz, too)  they have a weird local accent that causes the word Soccer to sound like Footy.  :-D

mandru

Thanks for the slap on the back Binn.  :)

:-D  :-X @ Art
- mandru

Art Blade

durian

mandru, I wish I can write posts that are long and excellent as yours +1  :-X :)

I used to be a futbol fanatic and when I came to the States, I loved football as well. Because nobody in my family or my friends like it, I would have to go to bars to watch football and root for my favorite teams. Now for some reason I'm losing interest in both futbol and football.  As for the word "soccer", I still have no idea how Americans came up with it. And I think they should change "football" to "handball" as the players mostly use their hands in games  ;D
He who understands others is intelligent
He who understands himself is wise (Tao Te Ching)

Art Blade

:-D

..or, to "anything-but-football"  >:D You know, they're used to carrying the ball around with them across the field and old habits die hard  :-()

In my country, there seems to be no other sport than "soccer." What I hate the most is entering the office after a football match and from that moment on having to overhear almost all male colleagues talking about that fudging game all day long. Not to mention those days or weeks before the match.  :D OK, there may be a few people who are fond of Formula One racing but that is by far not as bad as the football topic.

Tags:
🡱 🡳