Wolverine game

Started by Fiach, May 05, 2009, 04:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fiach

Just a quickie about this game, if you want a nice hack n slash.

AFAIK it follows the storyline of the movie, but its better than the movie apparently.

Graphics are excellent.

Gameplay, you use XBY combinations for fighting with your claws, the effects are brutal and devestating, also quite gory. There were times I saw things and said ..... "didnt see that coming", or ...... "never saw that in a game before".

Anyway its about 10-15 hours long, great combo led combat, but no mad Tekken-like combos, good storyline.

I cant say much more as its short enough to wind up in SPOILER territory, suffice to say, if you fancy a scrap get Wolverine :)
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Art Blade

thanks for the information, Fiach :)

what platform is it for?
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

I believe i just saw an advertisement on TV for that one - looks to be action-packed!

Art Blade

a sidenote: TV ads for FPS would lead to a war-like reaction of many people that live in my country (we have issues with acceptance of FPS here) I'd like to watch ads for that on TV LOL
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Fiach

Quote from: Art Blade on May 05, 2009, 10:17:03 AM
thanks for the information, Fiach :)

what platform is it for?

Well I saw it on PS3 abd 360, dont know about PC.

Played a bit more this evening, it reminds me a bit of a few games, Soul Reaver, Blood Omen and God of War, with the over the top combos, Gore, Bosses. environmental damage areas like spikes etc. Maybe a bit of Devil May Cry in there too, but not as outlandish as that.

Its a bit RPG-ish also, you level up as you play through the game, with kills giving you XP, finding collectables also gives you XP, I believe that you can find costumes too, by locating action figures that give challenges, when you defeat the challenge, you win a costume, afaik there are three to collect.

As you level up you are awarded new combos, none of which are difficult, eg, X,X,Y or Right Trigger + X.
There is one major combat move that is quite awesome, Press R Bumper to target and L Bumper to attack, this makes Wolverine lunge quite huge distances to pounce on a foe, when you impact (hit is too weak a word here :)) on a foe, you can press Y or B to add a special finish move to the attack.

The action is fast and fun, you are never tripping yourself up, the controls are quite intuitive and never sloppy or sluggish, there is some slight platforming, but not like tomb raider, just a few jumps hops and shimmys will get you to your destination if needed.

There is a feral "sense" that you can activate with your D Pad, it makes the screen shimmer and outlines points of interest in different colours, they had a similar thing in an XBOX Wolverine game I played a long time ago, so you are never confused as to where you need to go, it doesnt dumb the game, its up to you if you want to use it, but you are never in doubt as to where you need to go next, its just a detail they included, because they could, you even have a button to sheath/unsheath the claws, you dont need it, but it looks cool and sound cool, the button is called the SCHNIKT Button, because of the sound it makes when operated.

Anyway a fun game, based on a movie, that is apparently better than the movie itself.

Fiach

Wow this game has turned into a steaming pile of kaka,

The gfx get really PS2 bland.
You wind up using the same moves over and over as alot of new ones are just pointless.
They use the same boss for every stage, just give it different names  (I mean the same, not just sinilar), to mix it up, sometimes they sic 3 on you.
They even tried to give some variety with some ill advised platforming and tomb raideresque puzzles that are simple beyond belief.
All you do is run through corridors (either indoors or outside) killing waves of enemies.

Sorry for recommending this without having really played it enough, it did start very well and the storyline is pretty good, but after living with it for a bit, the boredome factor gets really high  >:(

spaceboy

no worries bud, we appreciate the honest feedback.  We've all had games that start off great and we're excited about that wind up not being as good.  You mention Tomb Raider - I was a huge fan of the first 2, & 3 was ok, it kind of went downhill but I kept buying them.  When this latest one came out I was so excited being a next gen Lara - it looked great but the gameplay was boring and even with a walkthrough I couldn't figure out where to go in one level.. never finished and sold it back.  Perhaps Wolverine will still allow for some slashing fun when you need to get out some aggression...
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

JRD

Funny how Marvel / DC comic books are awesome, their movies are great sometimes and lousy on other attempts (mostly are reasonable imo) but their games never seems to hit the spot...
One would think that is easy to create a good game once you have a good character and story... but apparently no  :(

But thanks for the heads up Fiach... always good to discuss new games, even if they end up being boring games... ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Fiach

Well in fairness to Wolverine, if you were a fan, you would forgive alot of my issues with it, the story is quite good.

But they have included ruins that need to be negotiated in a similar way to TR games, the similarity of the ruins, to those on TR games, means that the will be compared and the Wolverine ruins do not bear scrutiny.

I loved TR Underworld, but I am a TR fan, so I guess I'm biased, there were times I was left scratching my head as to where I should go next, especially in the last level, where one step or a breaking ledge would necessitate a reload, so I had to consult an online walkthrough on a number of occasions...... But...

..... what a game, the scale of some of the places was immense! There comes a time, when you see a statue of Thor and you are impressed hugely, but in the next level, you have to uncover a statue of Thor that is so big, each section you uncover is nearly like a complete level! When you finally uncover the statue, it is an awesome sight to behold!

The last level was like being in a movie, the pace never let up as you negotiated a huge doomsday machine, trying to destroy its mechanical parts, it was such a fitting end to the trilogy (Anniversary (a remake of TR1), Legend and finally Underworld, answering alot of questions I had built up over the course of playing the three games in succession.

I played the DLC, beneath the Ashes and while pretty good, it was quite short, only a couple of hours for a seasoned player, but it had a pretty cool ending.

But I never played Shadow DLC as its also quite short and the gameplay mechanics are different to normal TR games.

If ever you decide to give it or another TR game a try, check this site out, you will never be stuck again, its very in-depth, but incredibly accessible :)

http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/walkthrough/index.html

JRD

Thanks Fiach
I am a fan of Tomb Rider games since the very first one.
I played TR 2, 3 and another one I can't remember the name. I was really thinking about Chronicles.. will check this site for sure.  :-X
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

spaceboy

Thanks for the link Fiach.  I may have to try again. I think it was the 3rd level I got stuck on.  Maybe a good walkthrough would've got me out and on to more fun.  I did like the boat level  :-[
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Fiach

I havent played Chronicles, I believe its not a very good game though. :(

I think Underworld kinda shot itself in the foot with the start, its quite beautiful and bright and sunny, then you go underwater and enter the next level and its so darned dark, you literally cannot see where you are going, for a newcomer to the series, that would feel quite daunting and is probably the reason the game didnt sell, I bought it on release day at a discount, which shows the kinda faith the shop had in its sales potential lol :)

Anyway, all I can say is I loved it alot, but I did need a guide for parts, the gfx are spectacular (when its not dark  :P).

There are a number of points raised in the game and to get the full enjoyment, I would suggest playing Legend first, to give you a sense of direction and background.

PZ

Quote from: Fiach on May 08, 2009, 08:51:55 AM
Well in fairness to Wolverine, if you were a fan, you would forgive alot of my issues with it, the story is quite good.

I like that - an honest opinion that concedes that there might be those that will like the game despite drawbacks.  These are the kinds of posts that are the most valuable to gamers like me - they read well, and it makes us feel that the writer has credibility and the opinion can be trusted.  Good job... :-X

Tags:
🡱 🡳