New play through

Started by PZ, January 15, 2011, 10:12:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Question:

How do you kill the three mercs at the place where you pick up Predecessor missions without firing a shot, or using a machete?

Answer:
Spoiler
Run them over using the AT you stole from the southeast bus stop.  :-()

I use this method every time I go there now - funny to see them try to dive out of the way.  ^+-+

Art Blade

catch them, tie them up, and BURN THEM  >:D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

I did a couple of missions for Quarbani this morning, and in neither did I fire a single shot.

The first was a mission to retrieve a briefcase from the police station.  Starting from the southwest bus stop, then driving north past the GP, I encountered a riving jeep patrol.  We played cat and mouse for a while, and after a while, set it up so that he exited his vehicle, which allowed me to run him over.  Then driving up the west side of the map, I entered the police station and caught the guards off-guard (pun intended) - ran two of them over and quickly hopped out of my truck.  Running into the garage to retrieve the briefcase, I did not take hardly any damage - I guess the guards were so surprised they didn't know what to do.  :-()  Finally, I jumped into another truck and raced out of the area, running over yet another guard.  Mission completed.

The second mission took me to the southeast oasis to retrieve a box - took the bus to the southeast bus stop and used the truck to drive to the secret tunnel leading into the oasis from the north.  There was a single guard running about (this was a first for me - usually haven't seen guard there), but I ducked into the passage and he didn't see me.  Driving back to the bus stop, again I didn't need to fire a shot.

Art Blade

very clever, PZ, well executed (anti-pun intended  :-() )  :-X

When I for whatever reason managed to complete a mission without firing a single shot (or worse, without any casualties and collateral damage) I always felt compelled to go back and wreak havoc on the place, just to show them. And I did :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Thanks, AB, I thought  it time that the mercs began fearing "vroom...vroom..."  ^+-+

Art Blade

funny, my mercs are specifically trained vrooom-vrooom-magnets it seems  ^+-+

fragger

:-D

Same here - along with every zebra, gazelle and water buffalo within earshot >:D

Mercs don't have much road sense. Once at the Railyard I started sniping from the high ledge and bad guys immediately began running for cover, only to get run over by the railyard AT which had apparently been commandeered by Mr. Magoo. He took out about six of his mates with it :-()

Art Blade

PZ

^+-+ :-X I love running over the mercs

This morning I did the Mbantuwe furniture convoy mission for Flora - parked my AT sideways so it blocked the pass through the mountain, and then hid behind the rocks and listened.

Sure enough they came through the pass and were stopped by my AT - they tried jockeying past, but were unsuccessful, so they got out of their vehicles and started milling about smoking cigarettes, etc.  Crouching, I made my way silently toward them and threw a single grenade at the bunched vehicles - the explosion completed the mission amidst plenty of aahhhh....hhhaaas

RedRaven

Your making me want to play it now but just started SoC again.

Need more arms so can play PC and PS3 at same time, then could be playing both :)
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

fragger

You need a clone - or a stunt double :-()

Art Blade

RedRaven

Stunt Man Mike would be good for FC2, at least he can drive :)

EDIT - just been watching some BBC wildlife documentaries, and when it got to Africa all I could think was where are the Merc's and Outposts ?
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

PZ

JRD

Been on another playthrough myself... the 3rd one  ::)

Well... first time in Africa I went through all missions but not 100% complete (tapes, diamonds etc). Second time around was a complete run - 100% on all aspects, thrid time was more of a funthrough, if you know what I mean  ;)

Anyway... here I am, have to steal the dynamite and head to the pipeline in order to go on with the business. First thing I realize is that all buddies are dead - I wonder what happened  ::) - so I have to go all alone :-D .... dynamite on, head to pipeline via the guard post with the GL up on the cliff... of course, my visit to Africa after almost a year away must have fireworks...  8)

A few missions later and I find myself at the prison, rescuing my last buddy. All is well till I leave the prision and get an assignement to meet Vorhees at Sefapane.... mate... mind you..., first time I have to go on that mission... well, I know what's gonna happen now. I'll have to kill other faction leaders in order to continue the story, but anyway, It's a new unfold to me... AFTER 3 YEARS PLAYING THAT GAME  8)

That game sure is THE GAME against which all games are measured  >:D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Sure is - I measure every game I consider purchasing against FC2  ;)

fragger

Second that :-X

In fact, it's back to business for me. I loved playing Portal 2 and I will be returning to it anon, albeit at ever-increasing intervals of time, but right now I'm ready to start shooting something other than quantum gates in walls :-() There's a bunch of mercs at the Diamond Mine who were stuffing me around before I left - it's time to go back and sort them out >:D

PZ

Quote from: fragger on May 02, 2011, 03:18:00 AM
... There's a bunch of mercs at the Diamond Mine who were stuffing me around before I left - it's time to go back and sort them out >:D
^+-+ :-X

My favorite method of attack is from the sniper position on the rock ledge at the southeast edge of the area.  :-()

fragger

Mine too! :-X

That was the side mission to blow away a suit for Marty there. It's good to be back - I missed the place! After reporting back to Marty I went into town for a paying mission and drew the nitrous-oxide truck one. All went well initially - I raised Cain at the Post Office to get the distributor cap, then went and neutralised the Dental Clinic and fixed the truck. But then an oddity ensued... When I started up the truck and started driving, there was no engine sound! I could hear all the squeaks and rattles and the crunching of the tyres on the dirt road, but the engine made no sound whatsoever. It was kind of surreal to drive a silenced truck all the way to Sefapane and be able to hear the birds chirping without being drowned out by engine noise.

After completing the mission I pinched the old town car at the eastern end of town to drive back to Port Selao, and the engine sound was fine. Same with the patrolling AT I commandeered along the way. I'll have to find another big truck and see if that engine sound glitch happens again.

Art Blade

cool glitch :) Or you found the first electro car in FC2.  :-D

PZ

Interestingly, I've experienced the silent engine for at least a year, and attributed it to one of the updates and having the DLC (my Unimog has behaved this way for a long time.

I like the missions to the dental clinic - I always enter from the west through that narrow pass from the pill house.  After killing the sniper, I wait behind the big rick until the mercs start coming my way, then throw a Molotov into the grass.  Still hiding, I can hear the choruses of "ahhhh...hhhaaaas".  Then using the 6P9, I tke care of the rest that come through the pass one by one.

mandru

On the road between Sefapane and Selao there is a footpath that comes into the dental clinic from the North.  It is possible to sneak in from that direction and take the sniper's tower and actually get off a few silenced shots before the entire area becomes aware of exactly where you are.

The down side of this is that there are some explosive materials right there under the tower that the mercs have an uncanny ability to tag almost every time.   :o   That's been enough of a deterrent to make me give up on that approach.

There's the CP on the N.W. approach to the clinic but fighting in past them and then after clobbering the clinic fighting my way back out through the same CP again has never appealed to me so I also use the gap to the south to make my approach.

I really hesitate to make fires or set off the ammo piles though because I have had the unfortunate situation arise a few times where I've blown up the nitrous truck before I could fix it.   :-[

I too like the gap to the south because it allows me to tag the sniper with the loud AS50 then quickly pop a few gawkers getting the mercs good and stirred up.  Then I can back part way out of the gap and tag them one by one as they come after me.  Push in to remind them I'm still there then pull back again until they stop coming then do a mop up sweep on the stragglers.

Quote from: JRD on May 01, 2011, 04:39:24 PM
Been on another playthrough myself... the 3rd one  ::)

...All is well till I leave the prision and get an assignement to meet Vorhees at Sefapane.... mate... mind you..., first time I have to go on that mission... well, I know what's gonna happen now. I'll have to kill other faction leaders in order to continue the story, but anyway, It's a new unfold to me... AFTER 3 YEARS PLAYING THAT GAME  8)

I was just wondering JRD if you were aware that you can subvert the 2 lieutenant's missions to whack their bosses and turn the tables on the guys who send you out to whack Greaves and Voorhees with a little negotiation at gunpoint?   >:D  Sometimes it's even the lieutenant that is there at the time of the hit with Greaves or Voorhees that you end up working a deal with.   :go

When that happens there are a few additional variables that are brought into the game on how you go back to the faction headquarters and get the bad lieutenant.   ^+-+

Oh FC2, Game of games! We salute you!   :bow
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

fragger

:-X

mandru, that's interesting about Greaves' or Voorhees' lieutenants offering you a deal. Do you need to bump off Greaves or Voorhees first for that to come about? I've always shot whichever lieutenant is there on sight so I've never had the experience you describe. I'm getting closer to that part of the game so I'll have to keep that in mind when the time comes.

Another first for me today - I managed to run over a merc with a swamp boat :-() I was on my way by boat to do Frank's side mission to destroy his mate's stash at the Polytechnic, having taken a swamp boat all the way from the Marina. I was piloting the boat under the bridge near the weapon shop outside of Port Selao just as the patrolling AT reached the bridge. I heard their engine stop, but I didn't bother looking back when they subsequently opened up on me - I just hightailed it up the river. I completed the mission and was taking the same river route back when I came across the AT guys at the bridge again. When I'd heard their engine stop on the way in I didn't realise that it was because they'd driven off the bridge. Their AT was still there, on its side and half in the river, and there was one merc nearby knee-deep in the water. So I did what came naturally and ran him over with the swamp boat >:D

mandru

fragger, sometimes the lieutenants will make a comment like "Shoot him not me we can w@&k this out" and admittedly when you do that there's a chance the lieutenant may start shooting and foul the double cross up.

I think the one lieutenant that almost always gives me trouble setting up a double cross is Carbonell when he's with Voorhees at the mine.  I can spot that he's going to be a problem when he opens up his comments while being held at gun point with "Eat sh*#!"

I've noticed that when Carbonell is behaving this way if you shoot him in front of Voorhees it will often cause Voorhees to draw and start shooting at you.  To avoid that I will step just far enough back into that room before the main office that Voorhees can't see me take his lieutenant out then quickly enter the room with the sights locked on him to make him more compliant towards a deal.   :-X
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Tags:
🡱 🡳