Using smoked corned beef in hash browns

Started by PZ, July 14, 2013, 09:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

I love hash brown potatoes, and adding corned beef has always been a treat.  A couple of days ago I smoked a couple of corned beef briskets, and after eating 90% of one of them, I had a small chunk of beef left which was perfect for adding to hash browns.

[Click the images below to zoom]

Dried hash browns are available at Costco - I pour a small amount of the dried potatoes into a bowl, add a pinch of salt, and cover with water (1/2 inch over the surface of the dried potatoes).  Then into the microwave for one minute.  Let stand for 20 minutes or until all of the potato strands are hydrated.  Then into a colander to drain as much water as possible.  Placing the rehydrated potatoes on paper towels helps remove extra moisture, which is essential for good browning.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

This is the leftover piece of smoked corned beef.  Kind of salty by itself, it was perfect in sandwiches, and as it turns out, perfect for hash browns.

Coarse chopping the corned beef to the desired size, the beef was then added to the rehydrated potatoes

Ready to fry! On an aside, the griddle I'm using is a Lodge cast iron griddle that I purchased from a local sporting goods store.  It fits perfectly on our outdoor grill, and can also be used on our stove when we cook indoors.  In my opinion, there is no substitute for cast iron when trying to develop crisp brown crust.  I use a Mediterranean oil blend that contains grape seed oil for a high smoke point

After dumping the beef potato mixture onto the griddle, the pile was divided into 6 small patties

Browning nicely!

Ready to deliver to the "guests" (me and my sweetheart)

I like my eggs over easy with a runny yolk that oozes all over the potatoes.  The smoke flavor of the corned beef was absolutely delicious, and we've never had anything like it.  Browned potato was as crisp and flavorful as potato chips, the the inner aspect of the patty was creamy smooth with a hearty potato flavor.

I'm planning to smoke more corned beef, and will certainly freeze small chunks like this for corned beef hash browns in the future.

Art Blade

Probably the first time I see your Santoku near food.. finally.  :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

:laugh:  it has seem food more than once or twice  :-()

mandru

I also admired it (in a better full length shot of it) after noticing that it was being used to slice the smoked cheese and corned beef on another thread.  :)
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Quote from: mandru on July 19, 2013, 06:38:51 PM
I also admired it (in a better full length shot of it) after noticing that it was being used to slice the smoked cheese and corned beef on another thread.  :)

oops... sorry to mislead, mandru.  I cut the corned beef using the Santoku, but I swear by the Cutco cheese knife:

Tags:
🡱 🡳