Smoked steelhead as a breakfast ingredient

Started by PZ, August 05, 2013, 11:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Smoked a couple of steelhead filets the other day and had it for dinner - succulent with delicate alder smoke, and a rub consisting of smoked paprika, a bit of cumin, thyme, and a tablespoon of brown sugar.  One thing we enjoy about smoking food is coming up with (for us) are different ways to enjoy the smoked products.  The below is a variation of other poached egg dishs we have tried, but we have never used smoked steelhead as the meat protein.

The next morning we were leaning toward more of the steelhead for breakfast, but wanted to incorporate it into a more brunchy kind of dish.  We still had some of the crusty bread my wife made the other day, so this is what we ended up with:

Ingredients (per person)

• Small portion of smoked steelhead filet (alder)
  • Thick slice of crusty homemade bread
  • Homemade "Hollandaise" sauce", which is really only mayonaise mixed with some mustard and pickle juice
  • one poached egg

My wife likes to add a dollop of the Hollandaise on top of her poached egg, with the bread dry
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I like to "butter" the bread with the Hollandaise, then break the poached egg over the fish, and top with a good amount of black pepper

Paired with a chilled sparkling Cava and good weather (mid 70F), and this was a Sunday to remember

Art Blade

looks beautiful :)

Did you remove all the stuff that's usually scattered about your table to see whether I noticed it? Well, I did :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

:-D

I guess they put the phones, swatters and firearms away on Sundays :-()

Sorry PZ... Those dishes look delish, and here's me with breakfast about eight hours away... sigh.

PZ

:laugh:

It was too early to get settled for the day.  In fact, we only had time for breakfast and then needed to get to the w@&k of the day, so none of the usual trappings.  :-()

Art Blade

Almighty, early and before w@&k, and you take the time to drink yourselves senseless with champagne?  ??? :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Fortunately it was not for the w@&k for which we are paid - it was for household chores, and sparkling wine makes those chores so much more pleasant  :-()

Art Blade

fragger

:-D

Booze definitely takes the edge off it :-()

Art Blade

Start with a couple of pills, chew a handful of shrooms, and wash it down with a bottle of absinthe. Finish it off with a royal spliff for desert. You won't even remember the chores to begin with, let alone do them  :-D

fragger

Tags:
🡱 🡳