How to Shoot, and Kill, The Jackal!!!!!!!!!

Started by JRD, January 31, 2010, 09:04:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

Dweller_Benthos

I wonder what would happen if you carpet bomb the place with the mortar form the outside? Or use the grenade launcher? Probably won't kill him though, he might not spawn until you cross the prison boundary. Maybe not though.....
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

hehe, good idea. There's a download for you if you want, 92% game progress, you're about to go to the prison :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

wexer9

fragger

Okay – I loaded up Art's saved game (Paul, 92% completed, Reputation 5, 638 diamonds). Having a rep of 5 proved to be a hoot in town! Bumping into mercs produced comments like, "It's cool, man, be cool" and "My mistake man, I'm in your way", and things of that nature, accompanied by much apprehensive backing away. When I pointed a weapon at one of them, he threw up his hands and went "Yeaaargh!" in a high-pitched girly voice. Hilarious! Finally, as I departed, I overheard a merc remark, "Thank Christ he's going away" ;D

Then I went straight to the prison. Well actually, I stopped off at the Marina first to visit the Weapon Shop and pick up a few things, primarily the mortar. With 638 diamonds to spend, I was like the proverbial kid in a candy store ;D

On arriving at the prison, the first thing I tried to do was the mortar glitch on the door, but it didn't w@&k. I think Dweller_Benthos is correct in saying that the 1.03 patch prevents this from working. So since I couldn't get in loaded for bear, I started looking around outside, and I discovered that I could climb up onto a large rock just outside the wall.

[smg id=1969 align=center width=400]

[smg id=1970 align=center width=400]

From there, I fired a whole bunch of mortar rounds inside, with the launcher set to closest range, then lobbed generous quantities of hand grenades over the wall, giving them a bit of a spread. Btw, Art, did you include a cheat of some sort with that saved game? Because I had an infinite supply of grenades and molotovs on hand.

When I went in, there he was, dead as last week's chops. I couldn't tell what got him, a grenade or a mortar round. There was no message of any kind to tell me when he copped it, but he'd definitely had a major attitude adjustment.

[smg id=1971 align=center width=400]

As we suspected though, I couldn't progress any further. Killing him before he could deliver his schtick prevented the outer door from opening, ie. I didn't get a hand icon at the door so I couldn't get through. Possibly if the mortar glitch worked, I could have. Would have been interesting to see what would've happened from then on... we need someone with an unpatched game to try this, it seems.

So I reloaded the game and went through as normal. Later, when I caught up with him again in his shack, I tried the mortar glitch again on the door, but as expected, it wouldn't w@&k. I then tried to blow him up before going in by placing IEDs all over the walls and set them off. He was still alive, and his usual chipper self, when I finally went inside.

So, yes, you can kill him from outside the prison, but it won't allow you to progress any further in the game without letting him talk his talk, unless you can do the mortar trick on the outer door. What happens then is anyone's guess – well, mine anyway.

mandru

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

JRD

Nice one fragger... now we can proudly say "One of our members actually killed the Jackal"  ;D ;D ;D  :-X :-X :-X

And that`s a hell of a credential... of course, that little cheat of Art giving you unlimited grenades can be forgotten since you could`ve accomplished that with a single one, right? Right... so... congrats fragger, my mate, killed the Jackal without cheating...  ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

First of all, I am surprised to learn the unlimited ammo cheat, which I did actually use when starting that career, not only survived in the savegame (alright, I kind of guessed it already, see the cheats topic for FC2 which I edited not long ago, giving specific instructions on how to apply the cheat to provide you with unlimited grens and molotovs) but also remained active without its proper command line. Thanks for your involuntary but valuable research, fragger  ;D

And of course, nice story and research, and joining in with JRD, congrats on killing that old ba$t@rd  ;D :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

With the high jump & no clip cheats in the trainer, you can get beyond the prison, but I'm not sure if you can continue or not. The game might need that trigger of the Jackal opening the door to set up the rest of the final part of the game.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

wexer9

Congratulations on the research, fragger.

Cool findings! :-X

fragger

Thanks, chaps :) That'll teach the bugger to swing a machete and point a gun at a sick man :-*

@Art - Yes, it was interesting how the cheat stayed active without a command line edit. That was an added bonus - something new accidentally discovered.

Art Blade

funny, isn't it, how we keep discovering things in FC2.  :)

PZ

Nice one, fragger - I'd like to try that just to see his dead body on the ground  ;D

fragger

Thanks, PZ :)

It is quite satisfying to see him on his back, with his belligerence removed ;D

Art Blade

mmosu

Nice find on the video and in teasing apart all the little nuances that this situation presents guys!  I don't know how I missed this thread until now, but I'm glad I got to see it.  My game is unpatched, so maybe I can try with the mortar glitch intact when my buddy is finished with my game disc . . .

Art Blade

Quote from: fragger on February 08, 2010, 10:49:39 PM
So, yes, you can kill him from outside the prison, but it won't allow you to progress any further in the game without letting him talk his talk, unless you can do the mortar trick on the outer door. What happens then is anyone's guess – well, mine anyway.

I found the solution without the mortar glitch (patched game). I killed the jackal from inside the prison with a hand grenade and went out to the jungle. Read more here  ;D

Art Blade

what happens then.. after you pass the invisible respawn area border, the game freezes for a moment and then you wonder what it is.. check the map.. check the pause menu to see the mission.. and realise that the game wants you to meet with the Jackal in the prison (which you can't because you already dropped down those rocks you can't climb back up.. no return path to the prison).

I'll now go check out what is out there in the jungle.. the Landing Zone.. hehehe  :)

Art Blade

Well.. nothing there. Mercs still are where they're supposed to be but lacking mission goals there is nothing triggering "classic" events.
[smg id=3413 type=link align=center width=500 caption="FC2 LZ 01"]
[smg id=3414 type=link align=center width=500 caption="FC2 LZ 02"]

Art Blade

I found fewer mercs farther up the road to the end zone and without diamond case from the LZ no meeting with the jackal and without battery nor diamond case to choose no end game. Just kind of boring, really.

At least we now know that it is possible to get to the end zone after having killed the jackal.

JRD

What I found odd is that the game seems to record the death of the Jackal. I thought that by reaching an area like the LZ or shack would cause all NPCs to spawn and you'd bump into Jackal's ressurected body / twin bro

Did you get the mission from him at the Prison or did you shoot him and continued towards the Heart of Darkness? Is there a way to get the mission from him, kill him and go on?  ????

Art Blade

The only mission you get from him in the prison is to continue into the Heart of Darkness (there is no way back into the game once you've entered the prison and he started talking). That is what opens the other gate towards the jungle, what hadn't been possible before when trying to kill him from the outside or before he finished his speech. So I waited until I could have gone to the jungle and only then I tossed a grenade at him. The jungle had already been accessible. In the end I killed him after getting his mission and went on. Once you do go on and before you meet the first mercs the game resets the status to "meet the Jackal at the prison" which is impossible due to the rocks you can't climb back up.

JRD

I see...  :-\\

So the game steps back but you can't do the same  >:((

PZ

What fun!  This is exactly what defines "open world".

OWG members sure do know how to test a game to the maximum  :-()

Tags:
🡱 🡳