Predecessor Mission

Started by shiba, March 27, 2009, 03:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wexer9

Quote from: Art Blade on January 26, 2010, 02:00:22 PM
Thank you very much for all the support, wexer9.

Now that fragger mentioned it (you supporting Rangoon), I see it too, and more: This forum and its members are great. It even draws people like you, who never posted here before, out just to help other people, like Rangoon who only just joined us for we had been recommended by someone on a different forum. That someone was you! lol  ;D :-X

Aww, you're making me blush. :-[ :P

Just kidding, but I do agree, from what I have seen so far, it seems the community on this site is great! :-X

Quote from: Art Blade on January 26, 2010, 02:00:22 PM
Yes, maybe there is a way to attract attention again, and I believe that the devs would not want their game to stay that way (crippled). I believe the devs would want to help. The question is, are the producers willing to spend money on developing a patch with that one (or two) issues? If the developers wanted and did (unpaid) create a patch, would the producers allow them to distribute it? I believe it is a question of money.

The game is only about 1 and 3 months old. And while it seems the average "patch development cycle" is around 1 year, some games have been officially supported for much longer. For example, Neverwinter Nights' last patch was released just last year, and that game came out in 2002!

Far Cry 2 sold almost 3 millions units by third quarter of last year (according to http://www.vg247.com/2009/01/22/far-cry-2-pop-and-shaun-white-all-break-2-million-sales/), so it's certainly a money maker. I personally think they could do to support it a little longer. Who knows, another patch might be in development, but if it is, it certainly hasn't been officially announced.

I think if we can show that there is a sufficient following for this game, then we can show that the game is still worth supporting. Or at least we might get some answers on how to solve some of the problems we have been facing.

If we could find the e-mail addresses of some of the developers of the game, I'm sure we could find a sympathetic ear, and maybe get an update on the patch situation.

Hope springs eternal. :)

wexer9

Art Blade

You have got a point, regarding figures and cycles. Maybe we could "officially" send a mail from OWG, going to look into it :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

wexer9

Quote from: Art Blade on January 26, 2010, 02:47:51 PM
You have got a point, regarding figures and cycles. Maybe we could "officially" send a mail from OWG, going to look into it :)

Sounds good. It would make it sound all official and weighty. 8)

Report back when you have more information, soldier! :-*

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

wexer9

Just tried starting a new game without re-installing. Still no Predecessor Tapes in the pause menu. One thing I noticed, though - I can now click the 'Quit' button on the pause menu!

The last time I played (before Steam updated the game to give the Fortunes Pack out for free) and actually since I started playing the game (at least all the time I can remember), I have had to hover my mouse over 'Quit to Menu' then pressed the down button and enter to exit.

Bizarre and probably unrelated, but I seem to remember reading about this earlier in the thread. :o You never know, it could be related...

Art Blade

sometimes in the game there are greyed-out entries or they don't w@&k, but that seems to fix itself any time soon when it occurs. PCs can always use the windows shortcut: ALT+F4 = exit current application (game)  :)

wexer9

Quote from: Art Blade on January 26, 2010, 03:18:02 PM
sometimes in the game there are greyed-out entries or they don't w@&k, but that seems to fix itself any time soon when it occurs. PCs can always use the windows shortcut: ALT+F4 = exit current application (game)  :)

It just couldn't click on it; it wasn't grayed out, it was black.

Anyway, not a big deal, but thanks for the tip.

As I said, I read this somewhere earlier in the thread (or a thread somewhere else on the same topic), so it could be relevant.

Edit: Now that I think of it, it's probably because not having the Predecessor Tapes menu item frees up a slot on the menu...

Art Blade

By the way, we're on it (can't promise anything yet) and are going to find out if we get help from Ubi. We'll let you know (and this may take some time, you can imagine how it goes).

wexer9

Quote from: Art Blade on January 26, 2010, 04:25:16 PM
By the way, we're on it (can't promise anything yet) and are going to find out if we get help from Ubi. We'll let you know (and this may take some time, you can imagine how it goes).

Great! Let me know if I can do anything to help. :)

BTW, you may want to involve Steam/Steam support in regards to the bonus content issue. Just a thought. ;)

Art Blade

Thanks for the ideas and nice of you to offer help, cheers :) Can't tell anything right now, though.

We'll let you people know, but please, we've merley started, it WILL take some time :)

wexer9

Quote from: Art Blade on January 26, 2010, 04:43:19 PM
Thanks for the ideas and nice of you to offer help, cheers :) Can't tell anything right now, though.

We'll let you people know, but please, we've merley started, it WILL take some time :)

Lol, take your time. We'll probably only have one shot at this. ;)

Again, just message me or post here if you need any help. :)

Rangoon

I've been continuing my support tickets with both Ubisoft and Steam.  They keep trying to tell me everything is fine, that my problem is solved, and that my ticket is closed, but it's obviously not.  So I keep having to reopen the tickets.  It really would be great if there were others contacting them directly.

If we can get something 'official' from OWG administrators, it can only help the matter.  I am once again reinstalling the Steam version after cleaning everything out just so I can test again withOUT any registry edits.  I'll just input the Key to Promotional Content (where I get the "You have successfully unlocked the missions" response) and play.  As I've pointed out, after doing so there IS a new registry key for the Machete textures, but nothing more.  So the machetes are included and the message indicates the missions are, but I have yet to see any indication they're actually there.  This time around I will just keep playing without implementing any fixes out of frustration.  We'll see what happens (but again, I've already done this and played several missions into the story without anything).

Thanks for keeping on this.  There isn't much activity on the official Ubisoft or Steam forums for this game (or at least this problem).

wexer9

Thanks, Rangoon. Please keep us posted if you find anything out. :-X

Rangoon

I'll be shouting it from the mountain tops!   ;)

Art Blade

We are on it, really, and we hope the good people of Ubi will help us. But these things need time (red tape and such).

Thank you guys for keeping a nice tone in your posts, despite of the sorrow the issue causes you.

The game is great, but out there on the net all I see is whining, flaming, everything but reasonable. Here, at OWG, we handle things differently, and maybe that is a bonus. We are officially asking for help, represented by our Site Admin PZ, who is trying to establish contact.

Please bear with us and keep up your remarkable attitude, respect, and friendliness. That is a basic element of a reasonable talk. Something I generally miss out there on the net. Imagine what Ubi has to deal with for more than a year. Official forums full of complaints (many of them silly, in my opinion) and I bet a good deal of that stuff gets sent to them via email, too. I'd be fed up with that and maybe I'd lost interest in yet another fan complaining. Then again, they have a fan base. We pay for their games and they make games for us (or vice versa), so there should be a mutual interest of keeping both ends together. I regard them as partners, and we treat partners with respect.

Again, don't give up hope, and we will keep you informed :)

Rangoon

Quote from: Art Blade on January 27, 2010, 05:09:32 PM
We are on it, really, and we hope the good people of Ubi will help us. But these things need time (red tape and such).

Thank you guys for keeping a nice tone in your posts, despite of the sorrow the issue causes you.

The game is great, but out there on the net all I see is whining, flaming, everything but reasonable. Here, at OWG, we handle things differently, and maybe that is a bonus. We are officially asking for help, represented by our Site Admin PZ, who is trying to establish contact.

Please bear with us and keep up your remarkable attitude, respect, and friendliness. That is a basic element of a reasonable talk. Something I generally miss out there on the net. Imagine what Ubi has to deal with for more than a year. Official forums full of complaints (many of them silly, in my opinion) and I bet a good deal of that stuff gets sent to them via email, too. I'd be fed up with that and maybe I'd lost interest in yet another fan complaining. Then again, they have a fan base. We pay for their games and they make games for us (or vice versa), so there should be a mutual interest of keeping both ends together. I regard them as partners, and we treat partners with respect.

Again, don't give up hope, and we will keep you informed :)

Hear, hear! 

It was quite refreshing to find the OWG forum here among a sea of game forums out there.

JRD

... and when you feel its too much and you can´t stand it anymore...
take it all out over some merc meat  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

Indeed, the game is still working, isn't it :) Until we get news, there are savegames in our download section to get you sorted out  :)

Rangoon

Quote from: JRD on January 27, 2010, 05:17:52 PM

Hehe, yes they are good for that, aren't they?

wexer9

Quote from: Rangoon on January 27, 2010, 05:16:42 PMIt was quite refreshing to find the OWG forum here among a sea of game forums out there.

I agree, it is refreshing. :)

Quote from: JRD on January 27, 2010, 05:17:52 PM

Haha, yes. :-X

PZ

We've forwarded a request from openworldgames.org to look into the Jackal tape issue and the Predecessor mission problems.  We'll keep you informed of any information we discover.

Rangoon

wexer9

Rangoon

wexer9, you might want to contact support directly, too, since you have a different twist on the problem than I do. You had the Steam version, had it working, then got the auto-update and suddenly things stopped working.  If that doesn't imply something is broken, I don't know what does.

Rangoon

This could be some good news.  Archer60001 in the Steam forums had the phone call come in at 12% game progress.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13249194&posted=1#post13249194

Tags:
🡱 🡳