Predecessor Mission

Started by shiba, March 27, 2009, 03:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mir24

Quote from: wexer9 on June 12, 2010, 06:51:14 AM
Thanks. :)

Anyway, I got the game downloaded again, installed the Intel Bonus Missions to see where to put the registry key, and added PartnerKey1 and MachetesKey to that registry folder. Again, like last time, I can access the new machetes but not the Predecessor Missions. I started a new game, and the 'Predecessor Tapes' option is still gone from my menu, even on my old saved games where I had gotten all of the tapes.

As I said, same as before. I am not sure why mir24 seems to be having a different experience from other Steam users. I would be very interested in asking him a few questions if he decides to post in this topic again.

Hey wexer9, I just read your post and thought I'd add my two cents. I didn't know mine was a unique experience so I assumed everyone had the same or similar with Steam...

Tracing my steps, this is what I did:

1) Downloaded FC2 (with Fortune's Pack) via Steam. Installed and run.

2) Got the necessary (and unnecessary) patches via Steam. Started game, went to Options, entered Promo Key.

3) Searched online for any other patches/tweaks (probably the same as 1.3 though) and installed those as well.

4) The last thing I did recently was download the 'Intel' missions - honestly, this didn't seem to affect my game much. I'm pretty sure that in my first play-through of Act I, I did find 3 tapes in the North. Not sure how many there are in the South though.

5) The trigger for me has always been the phone call from the unknown employer. This happens once I re-enter Pala after the completion of the intro missions.

My S.O.P. is: Finish intro missions (exit church etc); leave Pala and take up the first buddy mission at Mike's; return to Pala (usually to take the bus to the mission target) and voila! phone rings and it's Mr. Mysterious Fake Voice.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

By the way, that's a kick-a$$ rig you have! Mine's an AMD 2 that's 3 years old - definitely in need of a new graphics card and more RAM as well as disk space. :)

SPOILER ALERT!!!

Incidentally, I searched and found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1-h59E8KJY

Note that there are SEVEN tapes, not the SIX I originally thought there were.

wexer9

Okay, and you are able to see these tapes by going to "Predecessor Tapes" in the main menu? Also, out of curiosity, what OS are you using?

wexer9

Quote from: mir24 on June 13, 2010, 05:53:42 PM
2) Got the necessary (and unnecessary) patches via Steam. Started game, went to Options, entered Promo Key.

3) Searched online for any other patches/tweaks (probably the same as 1.3 though) and installed those as well.

Sorry to continue to pester you, but which Promo Key(s) did you enter and which "patches/tweaks" did you use?

mir24

Quote from: wexer9 on June 13, 2010, 06:10:12 PM
Okay, and you are able to see these tapes by going to "Predecessor Tapes" in the main menu? Also, out of curiosity, what OS are you using?

Yes, they appear in my Predecessor Tapes tab/page.

I'm using Windows Vista - sorry, I should have mentioned that earlier.

Sorry to continue to pester you, but which Promo Key(s) did you enter and which "patches/tweaks" did you use?

I entered my FC2 (with Fortune's Pack) Promo code. Then I tried every single Promo Key I found (google for them). Some things I discovered though:

1) When I first tried out FC2, it was with a friend's original FC2 game which she had purchased at a local store. Entering the various Promo Keys works well with this: Some will give an "Key Invalid" message but MOST will give the "Key Accepted" message.

2) Once I bought my FC2 (with Fortune's Pack) via Steam, NONE of the Promo Keys worked! Only the Promo Key that came with my Steam download worked.

i) Additionally, I had to be online and logged on to Steam to get the Promo Key accepted. Being offline meant the game simply couldn't register the key.

Art Blade

Quote from: mir24 on June 13, 2010, 07:33:45 PM
out of curiosity, what OS are you using?

I'm using Windows Vista - sorry, I should have mentioned that earlier.

You may not have noticed, there is an option in your forum profile where you can fill in the gap to inform others about your gaming platform -- this is where some of us added info about the OS, if using a PC. I did.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

wexer9

Quote from: mir24 on June 13, 2010, 07:33:45 PM

I entered my FC2 (with Fortune's Pack) Promo code. Then I tried every single Promo Key I found (google for them). Some things I discovered though:

1) When I first tried out FC2, it was with a friend's original FC2 game which she had purchased at a local store. Entering the various Promo Keys works well with this: Some will give an "Key Invalid" message but MOST will give the "Key Accepted" message.

2) Once I bought my FC2 (with Fortune's Pack) via Steam, NONE of the Promo Keys worked! Only the Promo Key that came with my Steam download worked.

i) Additionally, I had to be online and logged on to Steam to get the Promo Key accepted. Being offline meant the game simply couldn't register the key.

Now that I think of it, the promo keys that worked before the Fortune's edition no longer worked when I tried entering them upon my reinstall. That is, I previously used the keys found on Google, and they worked, but upon my reinstall, none of them worked.

One thing intrigued me, however, you said you used a promo key that came with the Steam download? I have no heard of this. Where do you find this?

Come to think of it, Far Cry 2 doesn't even appear to have a CD key anymore, at least not that I can find. When I originally bought it, I remember having to type in a CD key to activate it, but not so when I re-installed.

Intriguing...

Art Blade

the last point is probably easy: patch 1.03 introduced a "no cd" feature.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

wexer9

Quote from: Art Blade on June 14, 2010, 02:26:36 PM
the last point is probably easy: patch 1.03 introduced a "no cd" feature.

That's what I thought - I also know that it removed the activation limit.

mir24

Quote from: wexer9 on June 14, 2010, 12:47:48 PM
One thing intrigued me, however, you said you used a promo key that came with the Steam download? I have no heard of this. Where do you find this?

Come to think of it, Far Cry 2 doesn't even appear to have a CD key anymore, at least not that I can find. When I originally bought it, I remember having to type in a CD key to activate it, but not so when I re-installed.

Intriguing...

Wexer9, doesn't a little notification/message bar pop up everytime you double-click FC2 to start the game? In my case, there is. And it tells me to "take down my Game Key" or somesuch. That's the key code I use to activate my Fortune's Pack stuff.

wexer9

Quote from: mir24 on June 14, 2010, 05:05:14 PM
Quote from: wexer9 on June 14, 2010, 12:47:48 PM

Intriguing...

Wexer9, doesn't a little notification/message bar pop up everytime you double-click FC2 to start the game? In my case, there is. And it tells me to "take down my Game Key" or somesuch. That's the key code I use to activate my Fortune's Pack stuff.

No, it doesn't...there's no need to activate the Fortune's pack anymore because it comes pre-activated now. Are you saying you entered this key into the 'Promotional Content' thing? Can I get a screenshot of this notification?

Again, sorry to pester you, we're just trying to get to the bottom of this issue. :)

mir24

No worries, I'll do my best but you're gonna have to give me some time as I'm at w@&k now...  ;)

fragger

Quote from: mir24 on June 14, 2010, 07:36:07 PM
No worries, I'll do my best but you're gonna have to give me some time as I'm at w@&k now...  ;)

I must ask you to please watch your language, mir24 - the 4-letter "w" word is frowned upon here...

;D

mir24

Quote from: fragger on June 15, 2010, 07:00:39 PM
Quote from: mir24 on June 14, 2010, 07:36:07 PM

I must ask you to please watch your language, mir24 - the 4-letter "w" word is frowned upon here...

;D

In which case, I'll risk getting myself reported and banned by adding the phrases "nine-to-seven" and "six-day-week".

LOL!

PS. I have a screenshot of my Steam Page and FC2 with the CD key message. But I'm having trouble uploading this image. How do I get the "Insert Image" button above working?

JRD

Did you say w...ing?  >:(

You have to upload the image to our gallery and insert the bbc code provided there  into a message. The above button is quite noneffective as far as I know!

If you have any trouble doing that, let us know!
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

Having uploaded a pic, you'll need to wait for approval (our admin PZ will check it as soon as he's aware of a pic pending approval). Only senior members and staff may upload a pic without approval and for immediate use.

mir24

Done!

Anyway, referring to this topic (Predecessor Message), please see the following image. Or go to gallery and search for "That Key Code I Mentioned".

This is the message that appears everytime I start FC2 on Steam.

[smg id=2391]

I've blanked out the code, of course, but this is the code I enter under the Promotional Code tab in the Main Menu.

And the Predecessor Missions w@&k like a dream...

SPOILER ALERT - RE PREDECESSOR TAPES

Last night, I just finished the last of the tapes (all SIX) and picked up the seventh and final. Got the call on my phone from Mr. Pre D. Cessor just as I entered Mosate-Selao telling me how to get the last time and where to find him...

wexer9

Well, son of a gun. I haven't seen anything like that since they removed the CD Key after the latest update.

Can you right click on Far Cry 2 and is there anything in the menu like, 'View game CD key'?

mir24

Quote from: wexer9 on June 17, 2010, 01:14:42 PM
Well, son of a gun. I haven't seen anything like that since they removed the CD Key after the latest update.

Yep, I sure am!  ;)

Quote from: wexer9 on June 17, 2010, 01:14:42 PMCan you right click on Far Cry 2 and is there anything in the menu like, 'View game CD key'?

I sure can! And there sure is...

AFAIK, my Steam is updated to the latest "incarnation". Strange that it should be so different for others. Could it be that different countries have different versions?

Art Blade

can't see a difference (but the fact that I don't use a steam version of FC2)

Art Blade

FYI

I split this topic to continue the discussion with
"Que El" (K.L., Malaysia)

Thank you.

Rangoon

Hey guys - I've been out of the FC2 loop for a while, but am still interested in getting my game working.  I contacted Ubisoft again and "Jason" has gone from saying it's a "known issue" which is being "looked into" to saying I need to contact Steam Support.  Yeah right.

Anyway I read the recent posts by Mir24 (thanks for joining the discussion!) and continued posts by everyone.  I did try reinstalling FC2 a few times without doing any regedits or other installations.  I simply reinstalled the game (Steam) and entered my code like Mir24 described.  Yet for me, nothing.  I played most of the way through Act I and never had that phone call, no envelopes, nothing.

So what is going on here?  Is there some new information or strategies to try?

Glad to see everything is still buzzing over here.  :)

Art Blade

Good to see you again, Rangoon :)

As far as I am concerned, I just ignored the glitch of repeated Boot Tapes, but I'm afraid there is no solution, let alone a simple one, for the issues you're dealing with. Sorry to hear that those armies of Jasons still haven't learned about the nature of the problem.

Yxklyx

Can you leave all the predecessor missions until Act 2? Also, it seems like you need to do some other mission in between them - is that right?

wexer9

You can leave them until Act 2, sure. And no, I think you can just go and collect the other letters right after, though I'm not positive on that - can someone else give confirmation on this?

PZ

I never did notice what the trigger for a new envelope was, but once I collected a tape, it was a while before another envelope appeared.  In the mean time, I did other FC2 activities like main and side missions.  One thing I do know is that you can get an envelope, which triggers the white Predecessor icon, and you can do whatever you like for as long as you like and you don't lose the current Predecessor mission.

Tags:
🡱 🡳