Buggered Stealth mode is back ......

Started by Stryker7, July 24, 2010, 06:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stryker7

My theory about how and why the stealth mode gets screwed up over in this thread http://openworldgames.org/owg/forums/index.php?topic=1663.0, was erronious.

I am currently in Leboa Sako, retrieved the files satchel for the blonde, and on my way back all hell broke loose.

And there is NO WAY that I was spotted by the vehicle. I was under a bridge when a patroling jeep, reved his engine, then came to a screaching halt, and EVERYONE in the area opened a can of whip a$$ on me. I got away,,,, but back to the point.

The jeep was passing over the bridge, and I was directly under it. No way he sees thru the bottom of his vehicle, and thru the bridge to see me. Once I got back to Mikes bar and got another mission, it went back to normal, I had stealth mode back. I did the entire "kill the police cheif" mission including the side mission to get his log of bribes from the lake up north first, and not one anomolie.

One other oddity that happened during the melee when stealth mode was screwy, was 2 of the AI mercs came running at me, sideways, guns pointed 90 degrees from my direction, but their bullets were still hitting me. I killed them both during the gun battle, but it is REALLY un-nerving, to see the magic guns that fire sideways, I always thought that the bullets came out of the front of the gun, in  the direction the barrel was pointed.:-\

Silly me. ::)

I am about to do a Windows 7 install next few days, Will re-install FC2 then to see if that helps.

Art Blade

very strange glitch indeed. I've heard about mercs firing in one direction hitting in another. And seeing through a bridge..? lol  ;D

Good luck with your reinstallation of FC2. I do hope it helps :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

eor123

I see the mercs firing at right angles to me, but still hitting me glitch quite often. 

Causes some confusion when I'm in a firefight and trying to prioritize targets based on who is actually pointing a gun at me.
"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

PZ

On the flip side of Stryker7's problem, in my current game I don't even have the camo suit, and as long as I move around crouched in some kind of foliage (or somewhat hidden, the mercs are not finding me as readily as I recall.  I've been able to rapidly move undetected through some areas that I swear were manned by clairvoyants in prior plays through.

PZ

I've now experienced the problem described by Stryker7, and have come to the conclusion that it occurs under a specific circumstance (at least in both of my occasions).  Today I went into the UFLL headquarters in Mosate and listened to the mission, but then left to go to the APR headquarters - I took their mission instead.

On the way to the mission, every merc in the country knew exactly where I was at all times, and I literally had to kill all of them in order to progress down the road (mostly I like to sneak past the posts, which has become very easy).

The mission was in the Dogon Village, and I was not even in sight of the village when I hears the whistle of the mortar round - I was still on the road from the river toward the area!  Obviously no one from the Village could see me, yet they knew I was there because they were all as angry as hornets.

I don't know how far my "aura" of discovery extends, but in wandering the countryside, I have has instances where there were up to 4 ATP trucks assaulting me at one time - not something I typically encounter.

To sum it up - in countless plays through over the past year, I have only encountered this interesting "bug" twice, and coincidentally, I have changed my mind in accepting a mission in each instance.

hmmmm..... maybe not a bug after all - the UFLL guys were so angry that I'd declined their mission that they sent everyone out after me.  :-()

mandru

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

I say use an infinite ammo and syrettes cheat and switch to Infamous right now, mate!  >:D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

The unlimited ammo cheat coincidentally indeed supplies you with unlimited syringes  :) I'd rather add the unlimited reliability cheat so you really can rely on your armoury's weapons.

A brief summary:

Command line cheats (mind the quotation marks engulfing only the path and .exe)

Quote"HD:\gamesfolder\Far Cry 2\bin\farcry2.exe" -GameProfile_UnlimitedReliability 1 -GameProfile_UnlimitedAmmo 1 -GameProfile_GodMode 1 -GameProfile_AllWeaponsUnlock 1 -GameProfile_IgnorePlayer 1 -GameProfile_SkipIntroMovies 1 -GameProfile_timescale 0

-GameProfile_UnlimitedReliability 1 / armoury: rely on your weapons forever
-GameProfile_UnlimitedAmmo 1 / ammo and syringes, may grant unlimited molotovs and hand grenades.
-GameProfile_GodMode 1 / one life, no death  :-()
-GameProfile_AllWeaponsUnlock 1 / unlocks weapons of Leboa and later Bowa
-GameProfile_IgnorePlayer 1 / mercs can't see you
-GameProfile_SkipIntroMovies 1 / quick start
-GameProfile_timescale 0 / keep time of day and current weather

PZ

Thanks for this reminder of the command line parameters, Art - I tend to forget even though I know you have posted them before, and the digested version is much appreciated.  :-X

Art Blade

fragger

Art Blade

Stryker7

Damn, this thread is still going.  ;D

Thanks for the command line, shortcut optiions. I hate the intro movies. I dont think I have a game I havent managed to get rid of intro movies on, now that you reminded me of the shortcut switch. Thanks

Art Blade

fragger

I resurrected this topic as I discovered an interesting side effect of the "buggered stealth mode" glitch. I hadn't played FC2 for a while so I started from my last (in fact my only) save, which still had a couple of faction missions left to be done.

Very soon after starting I acquired the glitch, which seemed to start right after I'd attracted the attention of the mortar guy on the island near the Brewery. I didn't feel like starting a new game from scratch and since this was the only save I had, I thought I'd go with it. I thought it might add to the challenge factor somewhat, which it certainly did - the mortar guy acquired eyes like a hawk and the range of his mortar seemed to double, he was firing at me from miles away. But I think we're all aware of that aspect of the glitch, the side effect I mention came later.

It came after I'd gotten into the endgame past the Prison. At Heart Of Darkness I wasn't quick enough at keeping the mercs away from the mounted grenade launcher and one of them nailed me with it. I had no rescue buddy at that point of course, so I had to reload my last save which was back at the Prison, thinking that I'd do another save just before I reached HOD. When I got back to HOD and tried to do a save from the menu, surprise surprise - the "Save Game" option in the menu was greyed out. I wasn't able to do a quicksave either. From then on I could only save at safehouses, console-fashion - but as I'm playing on a PC it meant I had to get some sleep each time in order to make a save option appear (or is that the way it works on console too? I always assumed the console version would have the wall-mounted "save boxes" in the safehouses). This save glitch only appeared after I'd gotten into the endgame, prior to that I could still save from the menu at any time as per normal.

Right at the end I elected to take the car battery and blow up the overhang. The now-psychic mercs had come just about all the way down to the Jackal's hut and were shooting at me almost as soon as I got outside the door. But I did them all in and made my way up to the overhang without meeting any more resistance. I got all ready set off the dynamite - cut the wire, threw away the machete, rubbed the wires together to get a spark, moved into position, saw the interact hand appear, hit the button - and heard a "huh?" very close by. Apparently one last merc had come upon me from God knows where, but it was too late for him or me to do anything about it. I assume the overhang subsequently fell on him :-()

Quote from: PZ on June 08, 2011, 07:17:15 PM
To sum it up - in countless plays through over the past year, I have only encountered this interesting "bug" twice, and coincidentally, I have changed my mind in accepting a mission in each instance.

I never changed my mind about doing any missions, so I think that either this theory is incorrect or there is more than one way to bring about the glitch. Each time I've encountered it, it has always seemed to involve that mortar guy.

Jim di Griz

That's odd indeed that it should do that. A save after all is meant to carry all relevant data about wht you have on you and where you are etc. I wonder how the game interpreted a lack of camo suit suddenly - or is it more that the mercs 'gained' stronger ESP due to the late stage of the game?

Regarding consoles and safe house saves - you only get the bed, but you can have just a ten minute nap, or have a cuppa instead of a full sleep. We can use the watch, the alarm on which is set an hour or so later than the current time of day, so I wind it back a bit and go with that mostly.
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

PZ

That is odd about losing your ability to save on the PC.  ????

Another place to save on the console is in the Doc's clinic, and the faction headquarters.

I mostly play without the camo suit because it does not seem to make a difference for me.

fragger

I agree, the camo suit never seems to do anything ????

Art Blade

I don't agree. It does something. But indeed, it does a LOT LESS than I had hoped for, and the little it actually does is quite laughable.

nexor

Very strange one fragger.
Might be a good idea if one could mod the camo suit  :-D

mandru

Mod camo suit?  I don't mod but the ignoreplayer reg edit is equal to invisibility.  ;)

Not being able to save is weird fragger and something I've never encountered.  The psychic mortarman on the brewery island I am all too familiar with.  ::)
- mandru

PZ

Quote from: nexor on September 13, 2012, 05:03:12 PM
Might be a good idea if one could mod the camo suit  :-D

Yes indeed - just to be able to make the camp suit more camo-like.  Wearing the game's standard camo suit camouflages you just about as much as if you switched from a suit to an after five outfit when going to a bar in the evening.  You still stand out like a sore thumb, only ever so lightly not as much.

Quote from: mandru  on September 13, 2012, 06:57:47 PM
...The psychic mortarman on the brewery island I am all too familiar with.  ::)

The alertness of the mortar men is ridiculous.  :-D

Art Blade

mandru

Alertness?  ????

I'm behind a building (the one where you find your buddy) that is obscured from their position first by a fair amount of distance, then by a heavily brush covered raised embankment and I'm elevated higher than them so there is no possible line of sight.  I'm adept at reaching this spot stealthily enough so that the mercs immediately nearby on the brewery grounds are completely unaware of my presence.

\:/   And yet the mortar man drops a smoke canister between my feet.  ???   I'm as tight against the wall as possible!  There's no possible ballistics trajectory from his position (in a high lofted arc) to mine to accomplish that feat outside of firing a round 180 degrees opposite my direction completely around the world and hitting me from the back.

He's not only psychic pulling off that kind of a trick shot.  He's a freaking magician too.  :angry-new:

- mandru

Tags:
🡱 🡳