What is he saying? (Afrikaans/Cape Dutch)

Started by fragger, January 29, 2010, 04:22:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

;D :-X

By the way, I meant "media  player" -- not a gamer  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

nexor

I have Any Video Converter and Prism Video Converter on my machine, both can convert from most any format to most any format, I have noticed that youtube videos are .flv format, I'll convert the next clip I upload to .flv and see what happens...... ;D

nexor

I'm completely lost, you guys are getting tooooooo technical for my little brain, you see when I was little I couldn't understand English, on account of me being an Afrikaans boy.....so when brains were dished out, I thought the guy meant 'drains'.....so I ask for a small one........ :-D

Art Blade

You're a big boy now and no one is going to harass you here. Chillax, mate  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Quote from: mandru on October 02, 2010, 09:58:23 AM
Quote from: Art Blade on October 02, 2010, 07:00:32 AM
Only if you click on the spoiler will the player "explode" (hehe)

Re: Spoiler Box

"It's full of stars!"    :o

^+-+ :-X :-X

mandru

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

nexor

What are they saying:

Actual words..... Skoert hoor jy my! skoert en bly weg.....
                       scram you hear me! scram and stay away...you can go to google translate, do the settings for translating Afrikaans to English, enter the words and translate.....

what are they saing Afrikaans 1

[admin]Hey nexor63 - I edited out the extra YouTube stuff that is not necessary.  All you need do to embed a video is to copy the url directly into the post - embed code is not necessary.  ;)[/admin]

nexor

more what are they saying:

Haai kom gou hier, dan kan ons klaar speel met hom
Hey come here quickly, so we can finish him off

Glimlag, wys jou tande dan skiet ek hulle flenters
Smile, show your teeth so I can shoot them to rags(Flenters)

Moenie nader kom nie, ek waarsku jou!
Don't come closer, I'm warning you!

Help iemand hy's hierso ek het nou hulp nodig
Someone help, he's here I need help(assistance) now

hierso gou ek het hulp nodig!
here quickly, I need help(assistance)!

Haai jy!, kom fokken hier, ek het hulp nodig
Hey you!, come f*****n here, I need (help)assistance

Haai jy!, waarvoor wag jy, kom fokken hier!
Hey you!, what're you waiting for, come f*****n here!

what are they saying Afrikaans 2

nexor

no problem with the editing, will get the hang of it one day...  :D...some of the Afrikaans/English translating on google translate is not bad....I'm working on some Zulu........

PZ

It's great that you're able to translate these phrases - quite often in the early days of OWG we lamented the fact that we did not have a member that was able to do these translations - many thanks for your efforts!  :-X

mandru

Thanks nexor63!  :-X

It's always great to be able to fill in some of the gaps that went into making FC2.  :)

Those of us that have really gotten into the game and have dug deeper into the vast amount of detail that has gone into its creation know why the end credits run for over 10 minutes.

Your contribution with supplying the translations for these commonly heard phrases is appreciated and goes a long way to giving the rest of us us a wider glimpse of the whole FC2 picture.

Clips and translations - easily worth a kudos from me.   8)
- mandru

Art Blade

I recognised some of the Afrikaans lines (I know how most of them sound) and it's funny to read those parts I never understood (as in I couldn't make out some Afrikaans words) and then the translation is even funnier because I can then relate that to German and see some resemblances there.

Thanks for that, and indeed a slap on the back to get your kudos up  ;D :-X

mandru

Quote from: nexor63 on October 11, 2010, 08:55:25 AM

When I was hearing the word "iemand" I thought for sure I was hearing the word demon (with an accent) and had expressed that somewhere here on the forums.  Which just shows how strong my translating skills are especially if I attempt interpreting purely by context.  :-[
- mandru

Art Blade

Quote from: mandru on October 11, 2010, 10:43:08 AM
When I was hearing the word "iemand" I thought for sure I was hearing the word demon (with an accent) and had expressed that somewhere here on the forums.

May I help you remember?  ;D

Quote from: mandru on January 29, 2010, 10:44:22 AM
The only thing I understand when one of the mercs is shrieking at me in Afrikaans is the word "Demon!"   ;)

Art Blade

By the way:

Afrikaans: "Help iemand hy's hierso ek het nou hulp nodig"
Deutsch attempt 1 (word by word): Hilfe jemand er ist hier ich hätte nun Hilfe nötig
Deutsch attempt 2 (proper): Hilfe! Er ist hier! Ich könnte jetzt Unterstützung (support) gebrauchen!

First attempt English: "Someone help, he's here I need help(assistance) now"
Second attempt (translated from German and English): Someone help! He's here! I could use support now!"

Which leads me to believe that the Afrikaans line is a little strange (actually, most of them). As if someone who isn't really a native speaker was asked to make up some lines for the game. If I look at the German and English versions, I'd say at least in English, in a situation that line is used, adding a tad of sarcasm (because apparently everyone of the mates is hiding or avoiding enemy contact or at least no one is going to send in support), I'd say it differently:

Third attempt English ("interpreted"): He's here! I could really use some help now!

I'd like to hear nexor's version if he had to think up a line like that, how'd you react / what would you say? :)

Art Blade

I edited the previous post a little, JRD, I see you're looking at it, but the "edited" didn't show up. ;)

JRD

Quote from: Art Blade on October 11, 2010, 12:58:00 PM

Quote from: mandru on October 11, 2010, 10:43:08 AM
When I was hearing the word "iemand" I thought for sure I was hearing the word demon (with an accent) and had expressed that somewhere here on the forums.

May I help you remember?  ;D

Quote from: mandru on January 29, 2010, 10:44:22 AM
The only thing I understand when one of the mercs is shrieking at me in Afrikaans is the word "Demon!"   ;)

OWG is the only web site in the whole world with a living search engine!  ;D
or not  ^-^
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

But we're not going to tell anyone, are we?  ;D

nexor

Thanks guys, it's a real pleasure doing the translating......Art, the person who the developers used for Afrikaans is most definitely Afrikaans speaking:            "Help iemand hy's hier'so ek het nou hulp nodig"
Basically all he's doing is calling out for assistance from anyone......
"Help....... iemand"......the word "iemand" can mean(someone/anyone/somebody)
"hy's".....can also be written as...."hy is" which means..."he's" or "he is".....
"hier'so"...means.. right here, in this instance he is informing whoever is listening to him that the person they are looking for is right here.
"ek"....means "I".....the word "het"..means "have", but in this instance it has no real meaning when the  sentence is translated to English ....
"nou"....means ..now....
"hulp"....can mean(help/ assistance/support)
"nodig"....means "need"......

A lot of things what the person who's speaking Zulu is saying is very much the same as what the  Afrikaans speaking guy is saying.

mandru

Very cool nexor63, it makes sense that faced with the same situation what ever language someone speaks would still result in similar dialog.

As for our personal live in search engine, I see that I made that incorrect comment way back in January on this very thread.

I suspect Art may be AltaVista in real life.  >:D
- mandru

fragger

Hey, thanks for all your efforts thus far, nexor63 :-D You're doing a fantastic job! Here's a kudo from me, too :)

Art Blade

Nexor, thanks for your last post. I can see that there are so many nuances to spoken language that each one of us might suggest a different line (even if only slightly different) for the same situation. It is a pleasure reading through all this, and I like the open discussion here :)

nexor

Thanks all you guys I really enjoy doing it.   :-[  :-D    it's only a pity so few OWG members are actively taking part in all these discussions..... :-(

JRD

I`m tracking this thread too (I even slapped you in the back and gave you a thumbs up, didn`t you feel it?  ;D ) but am not really replying as I`m quite busy today and my boss is going around me as a shark around a bleeding tuna  ::)

But I really appreciatte your effort, mate... keep up the great w@&k!
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Indeed - good w@&k.  Although not many are actively replying, there are orders of magnitudes more that read but do not post.  I often post things even though I know there probably won't be many replies; however, I know that it will be read by many - this thread for instance has 741 views as of right now.

Tags:
🡱 🡳