What is he saying? (Afrikaans/Cape Dutch)

Started by fragger, January 29, 2010, 04:22:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nexor

Quote from: GKID7891 on March 26, 2015, 02:59:12 AM
The "hakkenrat" is heard in your first video from 00:06 to 00:08. what are they saing Afrikaans 1[/ur

the "hakkenrat" is actualy,,,,  sit jou gat in rat
the words as from 0:05 in the clip, he's calling one of his friends for assistance ...jy! ja jy, kom hier, sit jou gat in rat
it means.... you! yes you, come here, get your arse in gear

OWGKID

LEGACY

PZ

Binnatics

Indeed :-X :)

I can understand the whole sentence, except the gat in rat thing. That must be a local adjustment to the Dutch, but is sounds awesome ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

OWGKID

If translated in Google Translate, the sentence becomes: "ja jy, kom hier, sit jou gat in rat" = "ja je, kom hier, zit je gat in de versnelling" in Dutch. ;) The word "de versnelling" can be replaced with "in de rat" or simply "in rat" according to Translate ???
LEGACY

Binnatics

The only word that puzzles me, in fact, is "Rat". It literally means "Rat" in English, the mouse-like awful creature living in the sewers. The word "Gat" means hole, probably meant as the a$$-hole / arse. That is the same in Dutch.
So I wonder if there has been added a different link between the word Rat and Gear. I find it heavily interesting to try and understand what has happened to the Dutch language overseas. The language has followed its own path of transition while the place where it came from follows another path and has to deal with other influences. The differences are amazing, and tell you a lot about history. Great to have this discussion with you lads :) :-X
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

I love it - we are an international group of friends that can analyze virtually any topic and come up with a reasonable outcome.

I really enjoy our international interactions  :-X

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

nexor

Thanks for the Kudos guys  :-X

It is an expression often used here Binn, basically you telling someone to get off their lazy asses and do something or to hurry up and get the job done.
The English version is also used often.

Binnatics

Thanx Nex! Your country has such a variety of languages, really amazing :) :-X

nexor

Quote from: Binnatics on March 28, 2015, 03:32:04 PM
Thanx Nex! Your country has such a variety of languages, really amazing :) :-X

The only country with 11 official languages   :D :D

OWGKID

LEGACY

nexor

He's saying...... los dit net man, los dit net, the meaning.....  leave it man, just leave it

Art Blade

to me the E sound seems to be first and the I sound last. As in, "los het niet, man, los het niet" or some such :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

OWGKID

LEGACY

mandru

Interesting.

What I hear is "l'm yammering over here so you know where to shoot!"

:-D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

nexor

Around the 3:44 mark on the video you hear a guy saying  "moenie nader kom nie, ek waarsku jou"
meaning......"don't come closer, I'm warning you"
at about 7:06 a guy says  "hy's hierso, ons het nou hulp nodig"  meaning....."he's here, we need help now"

The music together will the other noises makes very difficult to make out anything else that was said.

Personally I don't like the music in the game, makes me think that I'm watching a movie :(

PZ

Quote from: nexor on March 31, 2015, 03:46:30 AM
Personally I don't like the music in the game, makes me think that I'm watching a movie :(

I typically go back and forth with the music.  I like it to start, then tre of it to listen to nothing but the environmental ambiance, and then when I return to the game sometimes years later, I turn it back on for nostalgia sake.  :-()

Art Blade

I usually switch off ANY music in ANY game. When I feel like listening to music while gaming, I'll have my mp3-player or some such running in the background, playing "my" music.  :-D

Binnatics

Quote from: nexor on March 31, 2015, 03:46:30 AM
..."moenie nader kom nie, ek waarsku jou"...
..."hy's hierso, ons het nou hulp nodig"... 

Perfectly understandable for me, a Dutchman;
"Je moet niet nader komen nu, ik waarschuw je"
"Hij is hierzo, we hebben nu hulp nodig"

Quote from: nexor on March 30, 2015, 11:16:33 AM
He's saying...... los dit net man, los dit net, the meaning.....  leave it man, just leave it

It makes me think of the opposite;
"los dit net man, los dit net" in Dutch: "laat dit niet los man, laat niet los" meaning.... Don't let go man, don't let go!

That's what I make of it ;)

nexor

In this instance Binn, the reason why the guy is saying to the other, "los dit net man, los dit net"
is based on the conversations between these mercs we always hear when they bad mouthing their working conditions and also when searching for you.
Don't let go man, don't let go would be "moenie dit los nie man, moenie dit los nie"

Binnatics

Funny how it can be confusing sometimes :-D

Thanx for the explanation Nex! :-X

nexor

OWGKID

LEGACY

Binnatics

Tags:
🡱 🡳