Save game issues

Started by JRD, May 16, 2011, 05:44:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

Does any of you guys experienced the same as I did?

I`m playing a STEAM version of AC2 but since you need to be online all the time and to "synch" your save games, maybe it`s not STEAM related.

I`ve played lots of missions in Tuscany, some beat ups, feathers, glyphs, viewpoints and the Assassin`s Tomb. I always got the ""Memory synched" message after each mission. As I went back to the game a few hours later I found that all I`ve done in Tuscany wasn`t saved  :D so I had to go through the Assassins Tomb and glyphs again (the rest I`ll do later)

It should auto save the progress every time you do something, from a viewpoint to a main story mission or, at least, save all your progress at once when you exit the game and see that synching thing on the screen...

Am I missing something here?  ????
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

I have a non-Steam version, that uses it's own online launcher.  I've never had a problem with games synching properly.  Sorry to hear about your problem, but one thing I can offer - after you quit the game, let your PC sit for a while rather than shutting down Steam.  Sometimes the game synchs are really slow, and if interrupted, will cause loss of data.

mandru

JRD, I've only once or twice lost game progress info after quite a few hundred hours of AC2 play though I believe I'm also, like PZ playing on a non-Steam version that uses the online launcher.

I've noticed on my version of AC2 I have a choice of "Quit" which removes me out of the game to the menu where I can select a different game profile or "Quit to windows" that takes me right out of the game.  Quitting to windows from the menu carries the warning "Unsaved game info will be lost" so I to avoid loss of progress I always "Quit" first and then from the menu once my play has been saved select "Quit to windows".

Are these the same options that are being presented to you JRD?
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

JRD

I`m pretty sure you are right, mandru. Maybe it`s me quitting straight to windows instead of going to the main menu and then going to windows.  :-(

I wish I could have a simple SAVE option, even if only at some points like the villa or Leonardo`s house so I could exit the game and be sure I saved all my progress. In the game you have an autosave every time you do something, even simple stuff like getting a feather, so I don`t understand what could have happened this time around. I`m sure I quit to windows but let STEAM running as I was just stopping to eat something and would be back a couple hours later  :-(

What annoyed me was to decipher some glyphs again, those with circular puzzles that you turn till you get the image right... they are nice to do ONCE, then it turns into a chore  >:((

PZ

I quickly tired of the puzzles after doing only a few (never did finish them).  Give me a shiny sword any day.  >:D

Art Blade

When I quit a steam-based game, I never quit steam immediately after quitting the game because I once and ever since watched the Library, particularly the game entries there, and noticed how something started to increase percentage in updating data -- apparently steam saving your game's progress. When I played offline, steam would start to do that the moment I went online again. So I think it's not a steam problem, it will always try to retrieve your game's data, either right after quitting or the next time you go online. I reckon it's quitting to windows rather than quitting to menu what caused your problem, so I concur with mandru.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

I hope that clears this issue up for you JRD.   :)  :-X
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

JRD

I haven`t played any STEAM game since last sunday so I can`t tell you what happened with any save game but I`m pretty sure quitting to main menu, then to windows would fix the issue - of course, having STEAM running after finishng so it can update and save all files  ;)

Funny is that if the issue is just this quit straight to windows thing, then that option shouldn`t be on the menu at all  ????

Art Blade

Well, quitting without saving could be a good idea if for example you (or the game) had just finished saving or if for whatever reason (probably because you screwed something up) you didn't want the game to save right there. But indeed, the best thing is leaving the choice to the player so he can decide if and when to save or not to save. I don't like those checkpoint savings being the only way of saving game progress.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

My thoughts exactly... I like to have control over my game... what if I spent money on silly things and want to load from a previous point? I do that pretty often, ya know  ::)

They could ask before quitting if I want to save my progress so far at least  >:((

Art Blade

I can see a message popping up on your screen going,

"Saving your game progress. Or should we say, game regress, since you were so stupid as of buying all that useless crap while you should have.. oh well, anyway, saving your game now. Not our problem, then, is it."

:-()

Tags:
🡱 🡳