Mods to consider

Started by PZ, July 28, 2009, 11:28:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Post links to any mods you find interesting, including the ARMA1 mods that w@&k successfully in ARMA2

PZ

Sniper rifle scope mod

Here's one to give you an idea how detailed you can get when modding for the game.  Excellent that so many are doing the modding for the benefit of us that are more technology-challenged.

This link is to a mod that allows you to adjust the windage and elevation of your sniper rifle in the game, and even keeps a score card of the adjustments for your particular rifle associated with the map.

GMJ Sight Adjustment link

Art Blade

And I thought you could post here which OWG moderator to spy on.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Farm wars

Any SimFarm fans out there? Here's a funny one that might actually be fun to play - check out this description by the author.  (Another good example of the flexibility in creating missions for ARMA2)

Description:

• This is the technical sequel to the *cough* award-winning */cough* RTS mod "Wine Wars" for ArmA 1.

• As a young entrepreneur of start-up cow meat factory (CDF), you are thrown into the cold water of the chernarussian cow meat market. There has been a monopoly on cow meat for years, established by a local company (guerrillas). It is time to break the iron grip and bestow the population with a free market! It won't be easy, as there will be weapons involved. The locals will defend their monopoly with hardened steel and the newspaper are already announcing a new competitor (INS).
Features:

• Both sides will be only able to build crappy security guards and vehicles
  • High tech import from oversea. You have to sign an import contract and choose a limited number of high tech unit types. Those will be available for import later. Your unit choice will determine your strategy!
  • Ability to breed cows in the cow shed at the base or on the pastures (faster growth and better meat quality but at a high risk)
  • A cow factory to meatgrind the cows
  • A supermarket in the base to sell the meat at a constant low price. This is a safe income source
  • Supermarkets in town with higher, volatile prices, depending on supply and demand. Selling a lot of meat at the same town will make the price per meat unit drop.
  • You can manually transport the cows and the meat or tell the AI to do that.
  • Stealing enemy cows possible
  • Only one base can be build, but you may have a rebuyable MHQ, which can be used as a mobile respawn
  • Sophisticated commader interface
  • Own units can be selected and ordered by mouse, just like in a regular RTS game
  • Camera in RTS mode will be bound around the HQ and the MHQ. After an expensive upgrade, you will be able to put the camera everywhere.
  • Victory conditions: Money victory (earn $x before your competitor does), destruction (destroy the enemy base)
Farm wars link

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on July 28, 2009, 11:51:41 AM
And I thought you could post here which OWG moderator to spy on.

lol, with mods like thes, maybe you can!   ;D

RedRaven

If you like your Merc look from FC2 then check these out
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6471

Really nice set of Merc and Black-Ops guys with a variety of equipment. All w@&k fine so its a good simple mod to try if your not experienced in the use of Addons & Mods.
Just follow simple installation instructions and check them out in the Armoury section.

also this one is FPS Helper, some minor tweaks to aid performance and playability
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6152

last for today is  Auto Mission Co-x. it a MP mission that reads like you and other players are in same squad/vehicle.
  sadly cant check myself as not able to do MP yet, but if anyone out there knows or can test it that would be sweet.
will be a good one if that is what it does for OWG members to play as Merc squads together

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6506

Enjoy  ;D

Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

gvse

Dispersion

One of my essential mods: increases AI weapon dispersion so that the enemy is not deadly accurate most of the time. Makes the whole experience much more fun in my opinion.

Link: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6086

Increased Night Vision Goggle View (for better orientation)
Link: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6354

Non-blinding sun (cool visual effect)
Link: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6468

Cheytac sniper rifle with suppressor
Link: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6305

Extra units (easy access to more units in the editor)
Link: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6421

Art Blade

wow, this is growing into something really nice... thanks all for posting  :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Excellent mods guys - have not had the chance to check them all out yet (some I've seen but not explored yet).  The dispersion one sounds really cool - I wonder how easy it would be to modify that mod so that the enemy is worse in their aim than they are in the "stock" mod - especially good for lousy shooters like myself  ;D

RedRaven

that FPS helper works well, really thins out the grass and bushes so you can see better
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

gvse

Quote from: PZ on July 28, 2009, 01:49:19 PM
Excellent mods guys - have not had the chance to check them all out yet (some I've seen but not explored yet).  The dispersion one sounds really cool - I wonder how easy it would be to modify that mod so that the enemy is worse in their aim than they are in the "stock" mod - especially good for lousy shooters like myself  ;D

I reckon that dispersion mod introduces a nice balance into the game and gives you a far greater chance of surviving unexpected encounters.

By the way, we need a "scripts to investigate" thread as they make mission editing far easier and are essential for more complex scenarios.

Art Blade

good idea... start one if you like, I'll make it sticky (or some Admin... ;) )

gvse

Quote from: Art Blade on July 28, 2009, 02:31:29 PM
good idea... start one if you like, I'll make it sticky (or some Admin... ;) )
will do first thing tomorrow. time to hit the pillow now ;)

PZ

Art Blade

tee-hee, damn you are quick  :)

PZ

You kiddin'!  ;D I want to see what shows up posted  ;)

RedRaven

can report back that Dispersion Mod used with FPS Helper makes  it hell of alot easier to deal with the enemy while not making it too easy, its still good to be cautious and engage them in a true military fashion. bullets still hit and hurt alot

PZ

I know about the dispersion helper (man, I need that one) but what is FPS helper?

RedRaven

seriously reduces amount and density of grass, bushes etc, and a few other minor tweaks to help it all run smoother. but it all still looks nice, nothing drasticly reduced.

RedRaven

found this lot whilst looking around, it a collection of 11 single player missions from Operation Flashpoint that have been sorted to w@&k in A2. and No other mods needed so its a good bundle.  if nothing else its a weekend of practice.

11 OFP-->A2 missions link

[EDIT: hope you don't mind me editing dke58, but there was a bit of coding issue in this post]

JRD

Quote from: dke58 on July 28, 2009, 09:39:24 PM
seriously reduces amount and density of grass, bushes etc, and a few other minor tweaks to help it all run smoother. but it all still looks nice, nothing drasticly reduced.

Will try this one... have a lot of stuttering in A2 to deal with... enough to annoy me sometimes.... thanks a lot
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

RedRaven

it lists all tweaks on the site, after had put it in mine when my guy was running it looked like he was running rather jerking along with a fast limp. have stuck a few more mods in since and its still running great (Stalker often got slower the more i put in it),

JRD

Not only stu-stu-stu-stuttering, but also lots of pop in.
Driving is rather ridiculous... grass pops in right in front of me all the time. Sometimes my sniper's head turns all white, textureless... eerie... and some houses and vehicles takes a long time to render, which causes them to be blocky when I'm standing right in front of it, and then... plim... turns "real" suddenly  :(
I tweaked some settings to low or normal, but still the same... hope that mod can help  ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

RedRaven

that sniper rifle GVSE put the link up for is cool, comes with s free swamp-thing marine too.
  and if your laid prone you can roll over and over, so gotta try rolling down a hill now! :-X

PZ

Yeah, I like the Cheytac sniper guy - this guy is also available in the "stock" armory under the M107 unit (minus the Cheytac, of course).

Ad to adding mods to your game, especially if you have performance issues.  It is important that you do not add the mods to your addons folder unless you want that particular mod loaded every time the game starts.  This can obviously cause slow downs and in worst case, incompatibility crashes.

The best way to have mods run in your game is to keep them in separate folders and call them using a parameter in a shortcut.  This keeps the mods well organized, and most importantly, keeps them from running until you need them.  Here is the basic routine that the Armaholic folks recommend using the Dispersion mod as an example:

• Create a folder called  @dispersion in your ARMA2 game folder (You can call the new folder anything you like, but the @ symbol keeps the downloaded mods recognizable and in order)
  • Create another folder called Addons inside the folder you just created
  • Open the downloaded archive and look for the  .pbo. (In this case AI_Dispersion.pbo)
  • Extract AI_Dispersion.pbo into the @dispersion/Addons folder
  • Create a new shortcut to the game on the desktop (or wherever)
  • Right click the new shortcut and select properties.
    In the target box we add -mod=@Dispersion
    to the target line.
  • Click OK and you have a game shortcut that will start up that mod and no others.
A more detailed version of the instructions can be found here

Tags:
🡱 🡳