Battlefield 1943

Started by spaceboy, July 10, 2009, 06:45:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaceboy

I checked out the newly available BF1943 last night. It's available for download for $15 on PSN and I guess the equivalent points on XBL.  Looks like PC version is due in Sept. (sorry again guys).

It's on online MP game only.  The graphics aren't top notch but they look great with beautiful colors and with DICE's Frostbite engine powering destructive environments - it's a fun world they've created. 

You've got infantry, tanks, jeeps, boats, and fighter planes.  I only tried to fly once and crashed into the sea while trying to turn in for a bombing run.

I did have trouble finding a loadout I liked but settled into the sniper well enough.  You've got a close range infantry with an automatic weapon, rocket launcher and grenades. (I don't like RL because it's a slow reload and it takes too many to take out a tank).  A medium range choice with a rifle and grenade launcher and grenades.  This was my second favorite.  Then the sniper which was my fav with a sniper rifle, pistol, and explosives.  Only you can't chuck the explosives so they didn't come in too handy.   The pistol was good for up close fighting and the sniper was great because the islands are all very open but with lots of natural spots to crouch and duck.  The mode is all Capture-the-flag which is always a favorite of mine.

After only an hour and a half in I'd say it's worth the $15 tag.  It's not as in depth as other games (even in just their online portion) but for the small price I think it'll be a great diversion for some MP fun.  I've got to get a handle on those planes (or else hop in an AA gun and take out the gents that HAVE learned to fly!)

Oh, and I couldn't help but smile and think of dke58 kissing his bullets as I had to reload my sniper after every shot.  Makes you're aiming that much more important.  One bullet that wings a guy and he's on the run before you reload...
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Hacko

I plan on picking this up when it comes out for the pc. :-X

spaceboy

played another few rounds last night and it was a real good time.  I can't believe what they've packed into a $15 download only game. 

This is what I love about a good multiplayer game.  The situations that occur with 24 human players on a map with great terrain and lots of vehicles are endless.

I was running up a hill and a fighter plane literally flew right overhead crashing not 50 yards in front of me breaking up in a great explosion.  Awesome to behold.  My heart jumped as he passed overhead.

Another time I was on one of the aircraft carriers manning an anti-aircraft gun trying to take out these two flying aces on the other side.  One of them grew tired of me bothering them and flew out to sea.  I turned to shoot at him as he came right at me....nope he took me out with a bomb right as he flew over me about 20 ft above.  Some peoples flying skills are incredible.  I don't mind dying to something like that anyways.  It was a great experience, looked cool, and really puts you in the game.  Besides I respawned and joined the battle  ;)

It's also always a blast to take out a bad guy just as he's training on one of your mates.  Getting the "saviour bonus" is worth more than the extra points.  It feels good.

Art Blade

sounds cool... I had to read twice to make sure you were talking about MP, so the two planes (one crashed, one bombed you) were actual players... great. Indeed, if someone killed me in a MP game like that, I'd slip in a chat line praising that kill myself :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

yep, all human players - the only artifical intelligence is my own  ;)

spaceboy

I can fly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did the tutorial for an hour the other night to learn to fly without getting shot down.  Hella-fun time now in battle to zoom in low over the battle taking place (although I still need to improve my timing in my bomb drops).

Then I took to the skies in the Coral Sea map which is also dubbed Air Superiority (dog fighting only)  Zooming over the open sea and mountainous islands is beautiful.

I've also trained myself for cockpit view instead of what I used to do 3rd person for vehicles.  What a rush when some plane comes zooming in front of you and you get caught in his draft. 

I've already gotten my moneys worth on this game and I'm just getting warmed up.

Dweller_Benthos

If only I had a net connection that could handle this, I'd be all over it. I used to have tons of fun in BF1942.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

spaceboy

Hey DB, haven't seen you in a while.  Yeah, you've got to get that internet connection upgraded if possible.  I've got the "basic" or lowest broadband and MP works fine no problems.  upload is 128kbps, download is 1.5Mbps.

Had another great round over the Coral Sea with me and one guy from the other side dueling it out for top score of the match -he won  :'(

PZ

Yeah, the speedy Internet connection is worth it's weight in gold - I'm on satellite now, and even it is sufficient to do Internet gaming (not that I do much).  Dialup was no good, the 3G broadband air cards not much better, but satellite has been great.  It has changed the way that we do things electronically at home now for both my wife and myself.

Art Blade

You guys would be in heaven here... we usually  use DSL broadband up to 30Mbits download and a flat rate (fixed costs). I "only" have 6Mbit DSL on flatrate ;)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Tags:
🡱 🡳