Wolfenstein

Started by deadman1, June 29, 2009, 12:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

I'm liking the new Wolf quite a bit. Need to look up if there are any maps online for gold & intel though, I keep missing lots for some reason. So far, I've only got the one super-gun, the one that shoots lightning, but I hardly ever use it. The big troopers you think it would be effective against it isn't so much, so I use the sniper rifle on them to pop the cooling canisters on their uniform and they die pretty quick after that. Though on a bunch of normal troopers, the lightning gun works pretty well.

I like the idea you don't have to run off and do a mission right away, and you can sometimes go on a different mission to maybe get more gold to buy weapons first before you head off on a more difficult mission. Not as completely open world as FC2, but enough that it doesn't feel as confined as your average linear shooter. Worth the money for sure.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

I made a couple of movies the other day that I've not had a chance to process yet - I obtained a cool super gun that is some kind of disruptor that dissolves the enemy down to their skeletal remains right before your eyes.  It even handles the big troopers with ease.

Dweller_Benthos

Can't wait to get my hands on that one.
D_B

PZ

Here's a short video showing the super weapon (can't remember the name) that dissolves people into their skeletal remains and disrupts everything else in it's path.
[smg id=1524 type=av]

This video shows how you see the hidden passages (marked by the sunburst design on the wall)
[smg id=1523 type=av]

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Thanks Art - it is kind of fun to use FRAPS to capture video - uses almost no overhead and does a fine job with everything that I've tried it on.  Great for screen captures too.

Fiach

Nice to see you are still having fun mate :)
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Dweller_Benthos

It's funny, I played a good long stretch on the farm mission without using the veil powers - completely forgot I had them. Then I turned the corner and got a panzershreck in the face and remembered I probably had to use mire to get the guy before he could shoot me.

Still gathering gold & intel in the midtown sections, found some nice maps on a cheat site.
D_B

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Yes Indeed Fiach - still having fun in the games and capturing them to video.  Looking forward to that capability in OFP2!

Of course The Mapper found maps of the Wolfenstein world - would not have expected otherwise  ;)

I kind of enjoyed the farmhouse mission - the landscape was nice to be in after the cramped quarters of the insides of the buildings.

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, the farm mission is cool, nice outside area, and lots of pumpkins to smash, lol. One thing I noticed when wandering around, if you look off one direction, forget which way, there's some nice fields and a distant mountain, but go to veil view and the mountain turns into an erupting volcano. Pretty cool.

Found the maps on supercheats.com, downloaded & printed them, nice to have to reference while exploring. They are just the town areas, though, no maps for the main missions, since there aren't any in the game either. I took a quick look at the game files and I guess they are using some sort of new ZIP compression which I don't have the programs to handle, but I suppose it would be a simple matter to extract the game files and use the in-game graphics to make a high-quality map.
D_B

PZ

That's cool about the volcano - there are evidently quite a few hidden gems like that in the game.  I've been rushing through so far just to see all of the major players, and will most likely play again at a leisurely pace so that I can experience all the game has to offer.  So far, much better than I first suspected it would be considering it's relatively linear path.

Fiach

Never spotted the Volcano :( :-[
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

fragger

Me either, I've got to remember to use the Veil more often :)

PZ

Just started in the airfield/airship part of the game - the different scenery makes for nice variation, and the new foes equally so.  Like fragger, this game grows on me increasingly.

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, it's a bit more fun than your average linear shooter. At least it's broken up with returns to the town after each mission, where you can test out your new weapons and skills. Just finished the hosipital mission, so I now have all the veil powers and the super shot one (forget the name, the one that makes all weapons super powerful) is fun and makes bodies go flying with just a sniper shot. Neat.

I was thinking about the veil sight and how much of a pain it must be to create levels for this game, since everything has two texture sets and two ways of being interacted with. Essentially, they had to create two games worth of stuff and combine them and make it so the graphics engine can switch between the two instantly. Pretty good job they did of it too.
D_B

PZ

Indeed - I've collected what appears to be 3-4 different veils and each has a slightly different appearance.  The developers truly did a good job of programming this one - smooth as silk graphics, and lots of action - not too bad for linear.  I too like the aspect of going back to the main town to try out new weapons and techniques.

Tags:
🡱 🡳